Sponsored

Why Amber Lights?

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
i installed the Mopar a-pillar mounts, and they look better than I thought on my granite. Now I’m looking for lights. I really like the look of some amber lights I’ve seen from time to time.

Is there a specific purpose for amber lights other than looks and maybe so it’s not TOO bright?
Sponsored

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Would just wearing plain yellow glasses when you need them do the same trick?

Reactions: JC7

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
i installed the Mopar a-pillar mounts, and they look better than I thought on my granite. Now I’m looking for lights. I really like the look of some amber lights I’ve seen from time to time.

Is there a specific purpose for amber lights other than looks and maybe so it’s not TOO bright?
Same reason sunsets are red. The red, orange, pink yellow end of the light spectrum is the longer wavelength light. Longer wavelength light penetrates dust and fog and rain spray better so that it can go out, illuminate the road and travel back with useful information for your eyes as compared to white light which bounces off the fog and causes glare and makes your vision worse. Same effect with sunsets - when the sun is perpendicular at noon, it is shining directly through a thin cross section of atmosphere, so all the colors come through pretty well and it looks white/full spectrum. But in the late afternoon, the sun is really low and close to parallel with the ground, so it is shining through a long cross section of atmosphere, full of dust, water vapor, and other atmospheric gases. The longer wavelength lights pass through better so sunsets look red, orange, pink, yellow. Same sun, different filter. That's why fogs are yellow/amber/orange.

Related issue is why fighter jets and BMWs have red cockpit lights. It is not that they hurt your eyes less in the dark it is that for whatever reason (likely our sensitivity to long wavelength light), things illuminated with red light are more legible for a given amount of light than things illuminated with other colors. So with red dash lights you can run them lower and get the same legibility as a brighter green or white dash light.

There you go - more than you ever wanted to know about long wavelength light. :sun:

Sponsored

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I used to travel to Europe for work back in the 90’s and you could always tell French cars because they had amber headlights.

OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Same reason sunsets are red. The red, orange, pink yellow end of the light spectrum is the longer wavelength light. Longer wavelength light penetrates dust and fog and rain spray better so that it can go out, illuminate the road and travel back with useful information for your eyes as compared to white light which bounces off the fog and causes glare and makes your vision worse. Same effect with sunsets - when the sun is perpendicular at noon, it is shining directly through a thin cross section of atmosphere, so all the colors come through pretty well and it looks white/full spectrum. But in the late afternoon, the sun is really low and close to parallel with the ground, so it is shining through a long cross section of atmosphere, full of dust, water vapor, and other atmospheric gases. The longer wavelength lights pass through better so sunsets look red, orange, pink, yellow. Same sun, different filter. That's why fogs are yellow/amber/orange.

Related issue is why fighter jets and BMWs have red cockpit lights. It is not that they hurt your eyes less in the dark it is that for whatever reason (likely our sensitivity to long wavelength light), things illuminated with red light are more legible for a given amount of light than things illuminated with other colors. So with red dash lights you can run them lower and get the same legibility as a brighter green or white dash light.

There you go - more than you ever wanted to know about long wavelength light. :sun:
You're the man, man!

OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon

FYI I got the Baja Designs Squadron Sport and put them on :)

tXRfxve.jpg

1vYzNa2.jpg

I want to get the same lights for the fogs, but I don't want to pull the trigger yet because their kits are bumper specific with regards to plastic vs. steel Rubicon bumper and I'm not sure I'm going to keep the plastic front bumper very long.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored