Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
As we all know, there are FCA "rules," and then there are FCA rules.

Remove the back soft windows when the soft top's in Sunrider position--that's more like a recommendation among us (until we litigate FCA, then they say it's a rule.;))

Get things serviced for safety and life of the vehicle: that stuff we follow.

I say this because I've heard it taboo to keep the soft top on in the rig with the hard top on, even with the soft top folded down. Even in the JK this was the case.

This suggests it's doable:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ed-soft-top-under-hard-top.36469/#post-822470

Where's the part I'm missing? Why double struggle to take the soft top into the garage and the hard top out (or vice versa) come time in the season to swap the two?

Thanks.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You can do whatever you want. You're likely going to damage the soft top over time as noted in the thread you linked. Nevermind that the soft top takes up a stupid amount of room filed under the hard top. It would just piss me off every time I went to put something in the back.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Even in the TJ they said soft top should not be in place with the hard top installed, cannot remember as far back as the YJ

My bet is that in an accident things can go horribly wrong, getting stabbed with soft top hardware, or getting trapped etc, better safe than sorry.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Not sure how the soft top and hard top can be on at the same time when the soft top sits higher in the roof line and there is a bracket that goes on the rear corner for the soft top that makes it so the hard top can not down on the body of the Jeep.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
Not sure how the soft top and hard top can be on at the same time when the soft top sits higher in the roof line and there is a bracket that goes on the rear corner for the soft top that makes it so the hard top can not down on the body of the Jeep.
Soft top folded down....lol

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Soft top folded down....lol
So, one would tolerate the soft top being in the way all the time so they did not have to remove like ten bolts that can be done in less than a minute with a 1/4 impact driver? Fuck and I thought I was lazy. lol that funny.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I always took my soft top off when my hard top was on.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So, one would tolerate the soft top being in the way all the time so they did not have to remove like ten bolts that can be done in less than a minute with a 1/4 impact driver? Fuck and I thought I was lazy. lol that funny.
I think you missed the point again. You can't avoid removing any bolts. All hardware needs to still come off, except the rear brackets the soft top actually attaches to. He's saying it's easier to leave the soft top folded in the vehicle than pull it out and store it in the garage.
I do however, agree that it's pointless and lazy in spirit. You still remove the door frames and store them along with the rear bar and windows. In addition, you will now have to put the protective cover on the soft top with it in place (no way that will be as easy as it would be with it standing upright outside the vehicle), gingerly place the hard top on without setting it on the soft top, mount the rear bolts while working around the soft top, install the electric and pisser fluid connections while working around the soft top... and any time you go to put something in the trunk you will have the soft top sitting there in the way.
I see absolutely no reason to do this and save yourself 30 seconds unless you don't have garage space to keep the soft top.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I think you missed the point again. You can't avoid removing any bolts. All hardware needs to still come off, except the rear brackets the soft top actually attaches to. He's saying it's easier to leave the soft top folded in the vehicle than pull it out and store it in the garage.
I do however, agree that it's pointless and lazy in spirit. You still remove the door frames and store them along with the rear bar and windows. In addition, you will now have to put the protective cover on the soft top with it in place (no way that will be as easy as it would be with it standing upright outside the vehicle), gingerly place the hard top on without setting it on the soft top, mount the rear bolts while working around the soft top, install the electric and pisser fluid connections while working around the soft top... and any time you go to put something in the trunk you will have the soft top sitting there in the way.
I see absolutely no reason to do this and save yourself 30 seconds unless you don't have garage space to keep the soft top.
The red text, begs the question. If you don't have room for the soft top, where do they store the hard top when using the soft top?

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
The red text, begs the question. If you don't have room for the soft top, where do they store the hard top when using the soft top?
I used to be in this situation, I lived in condos most of my Wrangler life, hard top is stored in the parking spot covered, soft top is installed, get endless letters from condo management/board the 4 months the hard top is stored in the parking spot, now leaving the soft top in the parking spot isn't an option, parts walk away, even more letters, so I store it in the locker, some people store it under the bed etc, but that is if you have those options.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’ve heard nothing but nightmare stories about condos. They definitely aren’t gear-head friendly.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I’ve heard nothing but nightmare stories about condos. They definitely aren’t gear-head friendly.
Condos can be a pain with their rules, hard top in parking spot a problem, people using the underground garage as a toilet for their dogs, not a problem.

There are some companies that store hard top/ soft top they will do the swap on site or come to you and do the swap.

https://hardtopdrop.com/services/ about $400CAD

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
If I don't take the soft top off, how is this gal going to get in easily?

upload_2019-9-10_8-6-0.jpeg

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Condos can be a pain with their rules, hard top in parking spot a problem, people using the underground garage as a toilet for their dogs, not a problem.

There are some companies that store hard top/ soft top they will do the swap on site or come to you and do the swap.

https://hardtopdrop.com/services/ about $400CAD
Of course the following solution begs the question, "where on the condo grounds will I be able to do this project" but there's always the genius of J. Scherb's modularization of the hardtop, whose benefits include that when not in use the hard top lies near flat like a pancake:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...jeep-and-rear-hartop.36552/page-2#post-826721
Sponsored