Why a two door is better than a four door

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
"Room" doesn't add any weight, it is air, so the "space" for extra passengers or cargo doesn't add anything. Additional material in the length and doors would, but that could be 220 lbs.

Where's the 2.5" more ground clearance come from?
The xr suspension sits 1-1.5" taller, plus the 2" larger tire adds 1" of ground clearance. Obviously the empty space doesn't add weight, but the larger rear seat, extra seat belt, doors, frame length, driveshaft length, floor, roof and sport bar length all should add weight, I'm suprised all that adds up to a mere 220lbs.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I never said a stock 4-door couldn't do this... apparently even a lifted Subaru could do this, right?

FWIW: I'm sure you know there are other obstacles on the Bald Mountain OHV trail where my 2-door and this 4-door will scrape.

These videos were to be strictly a comparison of roughly equal breakover angles. Of course a lifted anything is going to have more approach/departure/axle clearance... that's not unique to the 4-door.

Personally my issue is that I can't fit more than about 2 inches of wheel+ tire lift in my garage. Also I don't really want to deal with the headaches or expense of a modified suspension, spare tire weight, gears, fuel mileage, etc., when I haven't really found the limits of my stiockish JLR yet anyway. I don't really have the desire to go beyond a 1" lift & 35s, and the extra initial purchase cost, worse gas mileage, and higher depreciation of the 4-door just didn't seem to be like a smart buy for me.
My 2 door on 33 Falkens feels so complete, I keep pushing this Jeep and man I can't even imagine how it would be on 35s. Probably wont ever go there, cause I don't really have to. I scrape too, quite a bit ,even on the 2 door. I got high centered on an obstacle last wheeling trip lol. But I managed with a little easier line. That was a tough line, probably one of the hardest lines i've tried on my Jeep. Was also on a steep incline, and even lifted rear tire from articulation. Was never close at all to rolling over.

I am getting bilstein 5100 shocks installed in a week or two, to get a little more articulation and firmer ride. Then I might add 1inch spacers and call it a day. When the 33s wear out, ill do 34s or 35s with high clearance fenders.

I was on the fence with the 2 door for the first year and a half, almost traded it in for a 4 door. I am really glad I didnt. The more I wheel this thing the more I get attached to it. The wallet likes it too, that I am happy and I dont really need giant tires and liftkit. From experience, on most wheeling trips I do with 4 doors they always comment on how easy the 2 door goes through obstacles, and I've never really been limited by the wheelbase. There was only one time I used a rope to prevent a possible rollover, but that was a call due to my lack of experience. I think I made the right call tho.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The xr suspension sits 1-1.5" taller, plus the 2" larger tire adds 1" of ground clearance...
That's what I thought you meant. I (and maybe I'm unique) don't count consider it ground clearance, at least in the traditional sense, if it's added by suspension since it doesn't change the amount of clearance at the lowest spot. Certainly the tires add clearance, under the diffs for instance, but suspension doesn't add "ground clearance" as I define it (I'm not saying it's the only way to define it btw).

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
That's what I thought you meant. I (and maybe I'm unique) don't count consider it ground clearance, at least in the traditional sense, if it's added by suspension since it doesn't change the amount of clearance at the lowest spot. Certainly the tires add clearance, under the diffs for instance, but suspension doesn't add "ground clearance" as I define it (I'm not saying it's the only way to define it btw).
Obviously only the tires add clearance at the diffs, but being that the 2dr guys entire argument is breakover angle, suspension lift definitely helps there. A 2dr Rubicon has a 27.8ā° breakover angle, an xr 4dr 26.7ā°. That 1ā° goes to the 2dr. Approach angle the xr has a 3.5ā° advantage. Departure angle same advantage. According to jeep xr has 12.9" of ground clearance while the 2dr tops out at 10.8". 3+" advantage in water fording also goes to the xr. Stock to stock the 2dr is way behind now...cue the "but put 35's on the 2dr" comments.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Obviously only the tires add clearance at the diffs, but being that the 2dr guys entire argument is breakover angle, suspension lift definitely helps there. A 2dr Rubicon has a 27.8ā° breakover angle, an xr 4dr 26.7ā°. That 1ā° goes to the 2dr. Approach angle the xr has a 3.5ā° advantage. Departure angle same advantage. According to jeep xr has 12.9" of ground clearance while the 2dr tops out at 10.8". 3+" advantage in water fording also goes to the xr. Stock to stock the 2dr is way behind now...cue the "but put 35's on the 2dr" comments.
Gosh and to think all the 2 door jeeps of past that have have done all these trails on 29" tires and no lockers!!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Gosh and to think all the 2 door jeeps of past that have have done all these trails on 29" tires and no lockers!!
Thanks to the big tires, much higher horsepower, and much larger rigs the ruts and exposed are not what they were 15 years ago, let alone 80. Of course since you love those stacked rocks, I give you the Rubicon trail of the 60's that those flatty's on 29's went through.
https://images.app.goo.gl/MQRYZ6EzuXbV3W3C9
That is little sluice, it's currently filled with boulders the size of a flat fender.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
For a single person, a 2 door is better at everything.
For a single person with a partner a 2 door is better at everything.
If you need to carry something large, you can always rent a box trailer.

If people have parents or children, a 4 door is needed.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
For a single person, a 2 door is better at everything.
For a single person with a partner a 2 door is better at everything.
If you need to carry something large, you can always rent a box trailer.

If people have parents or children, a 4 door is needed.
I have a kid. 2 door works fine for us. Sometimes mother in law comes with us too.

I did order a squaredrop trailer for camping tho. But wouldve ordered it too if I had a 4 door anyway. I am done with tents, unless i am out hunting.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
My stock height JLR makes me wish I had a greater breakover angle.

So if the JL is more capable than most will push them (which probably includes me), is there really any reason to optimize the wheelbase for climbing/descending performance? Or is there even a reason to add a lift? If you aren't going to lift or drive up/down extreme slopes, wouldn't the 2-door be better suited even if the 4-door can technically make it?
If all you were going to do with your Jeep was moderate, flat trails with rocks no taller than 10.9ā€ (stock rubicon ground clearance) at low speeds without brining much with you and enjoy a harsher ride, then yes the 2dr is perfect for you (although I maintain that at that point the lifted Subaru is probably even better suited). Your own experience with break over and scraping answers your own lift question. You donā€™t have to be pushing the limits of your Jeepā€™s capabilities in order to benefit from a lift or larger tires. You donā€™t have to be running across the desert at 80mph (although I highly recommend it) to benefit from the better ride and greater stability that comes with the longer wheel base. You donā€™t have to always have the Jeep loaded down to appreciate the extra space when you want to use it. 99% of the time itā€™s just the wife and I on trips, we donā€™t need the 4dr for the space. Sometimes the mods are about driveability/ease of tackling the trail as much as the absolute ability to make it through. After the Dusy-Erishim trail this summer, we added 1.5ā€ of lift to the Jeep, not because we couldnā€™t make it but because the constant banging/dragging frame, skids, and sliders was taxing. If you purists prefer harsher rides, manual windows, and no AC so be it, doesnā€™t make you hardcore, especially when I run my school bus through the obstacle you just bypassed.
The assumption that a lift and bigger tires making a vehicle less stable ignores a whole bunch of factors. I would need multiple scales and far more time than I have to compute center of gravity stock vs lifted, but it is far from a simple 3" of lift raises the cog by 3" scenario. Weight added below the cog actually lowers the cog, those big tires and beefier suspension components are counteracting a large portion of the height increase. Add in the fact that most running big tires also increase the track width, either by wheel backspacing, spacers, or wider tires(or a combination of things) which further lowers the cog. The longer the wheelbase the lower the cog as well. I'd be willing to bet a JLU with 2.5" of lift, 37's, all weight packed low thanks to the much larger floor area, and no roof rack likely has a lower cog than a stock JL rubicon, even before the JL adds a roof rack and piles gear well above the cog raising it even further.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
If all you were going to do with your Jeep was moderate, flat trails with rocks no taller than 10.9ā€ (stock rubicon ground clearance) at low speeds without brining much with you and enjoy a harsher ride, then yes the 2dr is perfect for you (although I maintain that at that point the lifted Subaru is probably even better suited). Your own experience with break over and scraping answers your own lift question. You donā€™t have to be pushing the limits of your Jeepā€™s capabilities in order to benefit from a lift or larger tires. You donā€™t have to be running across the desert at 80mph (although I highly recommend it) to benefit from the better ride and greater stability that comes with the longer wheel base. You donā€™t have to always have the Jeep loaded down to appreciate the extra space when you want to use it. 99% of the time itā€™s just the wife and I on trips, we donā€™t need the 4dr for the space. Sometimes the mods are about driveability/ease of tackling the trail as much as the absolute ability to make it through. After the Dusy-Erishim trail this summer, we added 1.5ā€ of lift to the Jeep, not because we couldnā€™t make it but because the constant banging/dragging frame, skids, and sliders was taxing. If you purists prefer harsher rides, manual windows, and no AC so be it, doesnā€™t make you hardcore, especially when I run my school bus through the obstacle you just bypassed.
I scrape in the middle, can't lift due to garage height. Solution: Add wheelbase? šŸ¤”

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I scrape in the middle, can't lift due to garage height. Solution: Add wheelbase? šŸ¤”
As I said, the 2dr might be perfect for your use (although even you said it isn't). If my garage was too short for a lifted Jeep, I'd just park in the driveway but every choice includes some kind of compromise.

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Lol. Zancwhite Jeeps are not trophy trucks. So I donā€™t plan on taking my Jeep 80 mph through the whoops. 2door crawler is the way Iā€™m planning on driving it. Just like my last 2 door rubicon. This is where the 2 door shines, tight technical trails. Crazy thing about the steep stuff, a 2 door will make it. Enjoy your 4door though. Obviously everyone talks about the break over angle and turning radius. Since thatā€™s critical stuff on technical trails and what basically separates the 2 and 4 doors models. Iā€™ve been wheeling in Southern California for a long time and sure a longer wheel base would feel more secure at times, but you can flip a lifted 4 door just as easy as a stock 2 door, heck full-size stuff goes belly up out here. If you want to cruise 80 mph through the desert there are much better vehicles to do that than a Jeep.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Lol. Zancwhite Jeeps are not trophy trucks. So I donā€™t plan on taking my Jeep 80 mph through the whoops. 2door crawler is the way Iā€™m planning on driving it. Just like my last 2 door rubicon. This is where the 2 door shines, tight technical trails. Crazy thing about the steep stuff, a 2 door will make it. Enjoy your 4door though. Obviously everyone talks about the break over angle and turning radius. Since thatā€™s critical stuff on technical trails and what basically separates the 2 and 4 doors models. Iā€™ve been wheeling in Southern California for a long time and sure a longer wheel base would feel more secure at times, but you can flip a lifted 4 door just as easy as a stock 2 door, heck full-size stuff goes belly up out here. If you want to cruise 80 mph through the desert there are much better vehicles to do that than a Jeep.
The JLU is planted at 80 in the dirt, of course if I want to go triple digits I take the rebel. The jeep isn't a trophy truck, but nearly every trail out there has some sections where you can get the speed up. Yes you can roll anything, but the shorter the base, the easier it will roll that's just common sense. If the 2dr is better for your type of wheeling, obviously run a 2dr. As someone whose run most of the major trails in CA in both a 2dr and a 4dr, it's obvious which I prefer for my use and driving style. Some guys love the twitchy, bucking ride of a short wheelbase, I don't. The tj and the jk were the 2 worst riding vehicles I've ever run through the Rubicon. Both on 35's they made it through the trail just as easy as our 4dr on 37's, our XJ on 35's, or the WJ on 35's, but with much more bobbing and bouncing, and therefore at a slower pace. Again, even 1 and 2 seat chassis builders don't build their buggies at sub 100" wheelbases. Of course most ultra 4 cars and rock bouncers have a worse breakover angle than a JL on 35's, and many rock bouncers have a worse turning radius, so clearly a 2dr is better off road as those are the only measurements that matter when wheeling according to the 2dr guys.
Sponsored