Why a two door is better than a four door

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Our 2019 JLUR with a budget $300 2.5" spacer lift and 37's (which only cost $40 more per tire) disagree with your argument that you need big lifts and a huge budget in order to fix the breakover angle of the longer wheelbase. The fact is, you can go as mild or wild as you want on either platform. Hitch racks, roof racks, creative packing, and having small (or no)friends can make up for the space constraints in a 2 door. The bigger lift and tires used to make up for the breakover angle leaves the 4 door with more ground clearance, better approach and departure angles, and a larger contract patch resulting in better traction. Even on tough trails, it will be more about drive ability and lines chosen than the 2 door vs the 4 door.
Wait, if the 4dr was so good why would you need any lift or bigger tires?
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Wait, if the 4dr was so good why would you need any lift or bigger tires?
I do believe we've discussed breakover angle as the 1 big drawback of the four door, but you 2 door guys do ride the short bus so I'll say it again I guess? If you think your stock 2 door is perfect for any trail, you aren't wheeling anywhere a subaru with a lift couldn't go.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Our 2019 JLUR with a budget $300 2.5" spacer lift and 37's (which only cost $40 more per tire) disagree with your argument that you need big lifts and a huge budget in order to fix the breakover angle of the longer wheelbase. The fact is, you can go as mild or wild as you want on either platform. Hitch racks, roof racks, creative packing, and having small (or no)friends can make up for the space constraints in a 2 door. The bigger lift and tires used to make up for the breakover angle leaves the 4 door with more ground clearance, better approach and departure angles, and a larger contract patch resulting in better traction. Even on tough trails, it will be more about drive ability and lines chosen than the 2 door vs the 4 door.
I agree with you. i still think the 2 door is still more budget friendly for small builds. Most people going 37s tend to need adjustable control arms, track bar, etc.... And 37 tires are not necessarily cheap.

But yeah I guess if you are comfortable going to 37s with a spacer lift you could keep things cheap too. People would argue you are going to introduce a lot more wear on components, trash the MPG, adding more cost to the build.

We could argue on this forever but if somebody wanted to run 33s or 35s the 2 door would be a better option for most, offroad wise.

I agree with you the 37s on your jeep not only fix the breakover angle of the 4door but improves everything else.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I do believe we've discussed breakover angle as the 1 big drawback of the four door, but you 2 door guys do ride the short bus so I'll say it again I guess? If you think your stock 2 door is perfect for any trail, you aren't wheeling anywhere a subaru with a lift couldn't go.
Oh ive taken my 2 door on 33s places a subaru with a lift could definitely not go lol.

The JLs on 33s are incredible for such a "small" tire. Hell even the willys on 32s can do crazy stuff.
The 2 doors shine with the small tires, the short wheelbase gets away with a lot of stuff no other vehicle will with small tires. This has the benefit of being able to keep a jeep with very good onroad manners, and definitely helps the wallet.

The capability increase with tire size change isnt linear tho. When you put the 4 door on 37s the 2 door starts to stay behind.

It is physics. Smaller tires, smaller wheelbase. If you want to build bigger. You need longer wheelbase. The JLU wheelbase is perfect for bigger tires.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Oh ive taken my 2 door on 33s places a subaru with a lift could definitely not go lol.

The JLs on 33s are incredible for such a "small" tire. Hell even the willys on 32s can do crazy stuff.
The 2 doors shine with the small tires, the short wheelbase gets away with a lot of stuff no other vehicle will with small tires. This has the benefit of being able to keep a jeep with very good onroad manners, and definitely helps the wallet.

The capability increase with tire size change isnt linear tho. When you put the 4 door on 37s the 2 door starts to stay behind.

It is physics. Smaller tires, smaller wheelbase. If you want to build bigger. You need longer wheelbase. The JLU wheelbase is perfect for bigger tires.
I was exaggerating, to a point with the subaru comment. Who buys a Jeep to actually wheel it and keeps it stock was more my point? I've run the Rubicon in a TJ on 35's, an xj on 33's and then 35's, a wj on 31's and then 35's, a jk on 35's, and a jlu on 37's. From ride to comfort to speed through the trail to difficulties/ number of times hung up/ winching/ rock stacking/etc, the longer wheelbase and larger tires were far more enjoyable. The jk an tj were more maneuverable, although most tight spots seem to be more about width than length anyway. They also had the roughest ride, leaving you feeling like you had shaken baby syndrome after a day on the trail. The wj is a limited with the 4.7L, coilovers in the rear, 3 link front, triangulated 4 link rear, and by far the most comfortable wheeler I've ever run on tough trails. The JLU is right there with far less build going in to it. I'm not in my 20's or 30's anymore, working to get through a trail is not nearly as fun as it once was. I like hoping into the JLU on a cold morning, firing up the seat heater, and cruising through the trail with my push button sway bar disconnect and lockers if I do need them. All while hauling a full camp set up, tools, recovery gear, compressor, and plenty of beer all while the dog is comfortable in the back seat with my 6'2" son. No hitch rack, no roof rack, etc. I don't care how well you pack, that just isn't happening in a 2 door. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I can’t help but laugh my ass off at all the “purists” that say stuff like “real Jeeps have two doors”. Um, sorry broseph. The original “real” Jeeps didn’t have any doors.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I can’t help but laugh my ass off at all the “purists” that say stuff like “real Jeeps have two doors”. Um, sorry broseph. The original “real” Jeeps didn’t have any doors.
And 60hp, no suspension travel, leaf springs, no lockers, tiny wagon wheels/tires, and all sorts of other things I'll pass on. Now is the hey day of the Jeep if you ask me.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
1. This is about the best off road vehicle from the factory 2dr v 4dr.
2. Once you start talking mods the starting vehicle means nothing as adding changing measurements power/torque crawl ratios becomes infinite.
3. My statement the 2dr JL can go far more places than a 4dr JL is true and no one here has providing any factual info against this point. …..but wait until it’s lifted just proves my point….
4. As for your last statement, your 4 dr Jeep will need the same Subaru lift to keep up with the oem 2dr.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I was exaggerating, to a point with the subaru comment. Who buys a Jeep to actually wheel it and keeps it stock was more my point? I've run the Rubicon in a TJ on 35's, an xj on 33's and then 35's, a wj on 31's and then 35's, a jk on 35's, and a jlu on 37's. From ride to comfort to speed through the trail to difficulties/ number of times hung up/ winching/ rock stacking/etc, the longer wheelbase and larger tires were far more enjoyable. The jk an tj were more maneuverable, although most tight spots seem to be more about width than length anyway. They also had the roughest ride, leaving you feeling like you had shaken baby syndrome after a day on the trail. The wj is a limited with the 4.7L, coilovers in the rear, 3 link front, triangulated 4 link rear, and by far the most comfortable wheeler I've ever run on tough trails. The JLU is right there with far less build going in to it. I'm not in my 20's or 30's anymore, working to get through a trail is not nearly as fun as it once was. I like hoping into the JLU on a cold morning, firing up the seat heater, and cruising through the trail with my push button sway bar disconnect and lockers if I do need them. All while hauling a full camp set up, tools, recovery gear, compressor, and plenty of beer all while the dog is comfortable in the back seat with my 6'2" son. No hitch rack, no roof rack, etc. I don't care how well you pack, that just isn't happening in a 2 door. Different strokes for different folks.
Great you just proved my point again. Mod for mod the 4dr needs more tire and more lift to run the same trail. Case closed!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
1. This is about the best off road vehicle from the factory 2dr v 4dr.
2. Once you start talking mods the starting vehicle means nothing as adding changing measurements power/torque crawl ratios becomes infinite.
3. My statement the 2dr JL can go far more places than a 4dr JL is true and no one here has providing any factual info against this point. …..but wait until it’s lifted just proves my point….
4. As for your last statement, your 4 dr Jeep will need the same Subaru lift to keep up with the oem 2dr.
A. When did anybody say stock vs stock? Both vehicles in the video are modded.
B. I'll show you a dozen ledges that the 2dr doesn't have the wheelbase to climb, or even decend that a stock 4dr does
C. If the only criteria for a vehicle was off road ability, we'd all be running tube buggies with ~110" wheelbase (the sweet spot between breakover angle and stability on steep climbs according to the vast majority of builders out there)
D. The stock 4dr may drag belly, but I doubt your pushing your stock 2dr anywhere I couldn't get in the 4dr.

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I would not consider anything but a 2 door. Main reason being it is a lot more maneuverable, better break over angle, easier to park, and lighter. Also easier to clean and seats are easy to remove.

Only reason I can see a 4 door being better is for a family or if you want to blast across the desert or climb massive hills.

And the number one undisputed reason a 2 door is better is because my wife likes them.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
And 60hp, no suspension travel, leaf springs, no lockers, tiny wagon wheels/tires, and all sorts of other things I'll pass on. Now is the hey day of the Jeep if you ask me.
I agree. 2 doors or 4, doesn’t matter, a modern Jeep is far better than the original in almost every way.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I'll show you a dozen ledges that the 2dr doesn't have the wheelbase to climb, or even decend that a stock 4dr does
Plus and minuses to both. I can show you a dozen places where a 4dr will not be able to turn a corner without backing. Of course I'm biased due to all the years of being on 2 wheeled trails that it's rare to see a Jeep and when you do it's a 2 door most of the time.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Plus and minuses to both. I can show you a dozen places where a 4dr will not be able to turn a corner without backing. Of course I'm biased due to all the years of being on 2 wheeled trails that it's rare to see a Jeep and when you do it's a 2 door most of the time.
If only I could order a 4 door with reverse…
Definitely pros and cons to both. It's hilarious that I can literally say the 2 door has a 3' better turning radius, better maneuverability, and better breakover angle but the 4dr is better in a lot of other ways and immediately get a dozen replies "correcting me" about turning radius and breakover angle? Agreeing with someone is not how debate works?
Sponsored