Sponsored

Why a two door is better than a four door

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I love 2 door wranglers. It just feels like the real deal to me. But then, when I was a kid, there were only 2 door wranglers and CJs. And I pined for one, trust me. So that’s probably why. That said, I take nothing away from 4 door wranglers. If that’s what you like, go for it. Just as good.
Sponsored

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I've only driven a two door a friend lent me and it was very bouncy and I'm sure since it probably weighs less would be horrible on windy highways.
Young guy/girl with young friends jumping in the back I can see as fun, but an older guy friends going out to dinner with friends squeezing in the back? 4 Door.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Honestly not sure where you're going with that, but as long as you're happy driving around with a bunch of 'big dudes' in your 4-door, I won't judge either 😆
My first bait didn't get enough bites so I had to double down for fun, there was no way it could be passed up lol. All good, military folks are generally more fit than plump civilians, unless we bring the national guard into the picture. :CWL:

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I loved my 2 door JK Rubicon. But now I have a JLUR and "overall" I think it was the better choice. But still love the 2 door.

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
I always thought the 4 door Jeeps looked too long when I first saw them years ago. Since then I've owned two of them, JKU and JLUD, but I still like the look of the 2 door better (which is what I'm driving now). Easier to wash also.:like:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I've only driven a two door a friend lent me and it was very bouncy and I'm sure since it probably weighs less would be horrible on windy highways.
That's one point I can relate to, hence my signature box below :(
But small price to pay for the overall drive IMO.

Billkowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th 2D 3.6 Etorque, 2023 JT Mojave
Out of genuine curiosity, as I've never driven a 2 door JL, in what way is it a far superior driving experience to the 4 door?
To me, at low speed, the 2 door is much more nimble, it has a weird but cool, dare I say, sports car feel about it. Either engine slings the vehicle around a little easier. It has a bit of a go-kart feel about it that the kid in me likes. If I need to haul something, I take my truck.

Sponsored

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I really like TrailRecon, and watch his channel a lot. I thought it was a fun & fair comparison.

These 2door/4door debates can be contentious. I never thought it was a big deal until spending more time on these forums.

I've been liking Jeeps since I was young and, like others have mentioned; the 2 door is what I was familiar with. I just like the look of the 2 door better.

It wasn't even the off road thing, I just like the way they looked and how you could let the top down and take the doors off.

Now that so many people and into Jeeps, and have been lifting & modifying them, I like the look of the 4 door also. If I ever were to buy a 4 door, I'd have to lift it ASAP and get some big tires on it (done the right way of course).

It's weird how things change over time. When there were only 2 door Wranglers I don't remember a lot of people talking about them, I'm talking pre internet. I had always liked them and knew a few other people who did also.

Now I get people saying to me how surprised they are to see a 2 door, and asking me why I didn't buy a 4 door, like it's a must have.

Like someone mentioned, I just hope Jeep doesn't do away with the 2 door. Thankful for this section of the forum also.

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
It all depends on your circumstances, lifestyle, and what you want out of your Jeep. In my books, 2 doors have more "cred" than 4 doors. But when it came time to get a Jeep of my own I went with the 4 door.

If you have a family and want to take your Jeep on fun road trips instead of your wife's practical vehicle, the 4 door makes more sense. Sure, you can fit a family of four in a 2 door, but what about your gear/luggage? You can get a roof mounted system, but you won't be able to open the top. You can get a trailer, but that has a lot of maneuverability drawbacks. Imagine having to take your wife's Kia to the beach because you can't fit your kids, cooler, chairs, and umbrella in your Jeep. 😟

Now if your wife's practical vehicle is a Gladiator, different story. ;)

Like someone mentioned, I just hope Jeep doesn't do away with the 2 door.
Me too. We can probably thank the Bronco for ensuring the 2 door will stick around. It would be such a bad move for Jeep to stop offering the 2 door Wrangler while a 2 door Bronco is available.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It all depends on your circumstances, lifestyle, and what you want out of your Jeep. In my books, 2 doors have more "cred" than 4 doors. But when it came time to get a Jeep of my own I went with the 4 door.

If you have a family and want to take your Jeep on fun road trips instead of your wife's practical vehicle, the 4 door makes more sense. Sure, you can fit a family of four in a 2 door, but what about your gear/luggage? You can get a roof mounted system, but you won't be able to open the top. You can get a trailer, but that has a lot of maneuverability drawbacks. Imagine having to take your wife's Kia to the beach because you can't fit your kids, cooler, chairs, and umbrella in your Jeep. 😟

Now if your wife's practical vehicle is a Gladiator, different story. ;)

Me too. We can probably thank the Bronco for ensuring the 2 door will stick around. It would be such a bad move for Jeep to stop offering the 2 door Wrangler while a 2 door Bronco is available.
You can fit 2 beach chairs, 2 umbrellas, and a small beach cooler in the trunk of a 2 door. Ive done it. I have something better than umbrellas now that packs even smaller.

It truly isnt as bad as people make it sound. You get used to it. Hitch racks are also super useful.

And what do you mean you cant open the top? I have a roof rack on my jeep, it doesnt interfere with the freedom panels. Easy pz.

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
You can fit 2 beach chairs, 2 umbrellas, and a small beach cooler in the trunk of a 2 door. Ive done it. I have something better than umbrellas now that packs even smaller.

It truly isnt as bad as people make it sound. You get used to it. Hitch racks are also super useful.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why a two door is better than a four door 2v4-2

And what do you mean you cant open the top? I have a roof rack on my jeep, it doesnt interfere with the freedom panels. Easy pz.
I've seen so many overland builds that simple roof racks slipped my mind. :) Though I'm curious, where do you store the freedom panels in the beach scenario?
Sponsored

Last edited: