Why a two door is better than a four door

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I personally don’t care what you drive or how many doors it has (or doesn’t have). I just can’t help but laugh at some of the reasoning.

2 door gets better mpg! Assuming that it does, it’s also got a smaller fuel capacity, with a shorter total range, which means stopping for fuel at least as much as a 4 door. I can’t imagine the MPG difference would equate to a substantial $$ savings.

2 door is easier to park! LOL, really? It’s not like a 4 door is the Queen Mary. I can park a 4 door anywhere that it’ll physically fit just as easily as a 2 door.

I could go on, but you all get the drift. Buy any capable 4wd vehicle you want, and hit the trails.
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
2 door is easier to park! LOL, really? It’s not like a 4 door is the Queen Mary. I can park a 4 door anywhere that it’ll physically fit just as easily as a 2 door.
I can park a set of doubles between a car and pump island at gas station. It does not make it easy or fun. Any way you slice it a shorter wheelbase vehicle is much easier and less stressful to park and maneuver in tight quarters.

I have been driving large rigs and full size pickups all of my adult life. I have decided it's time to downsize.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Drove my first 4 door in Hawai'i a month or so ago, had it as a rental for a week. And... I gotta say, having extra cargo space was kinda nice. Dive gear fit in the back without having to lay down the seats. I could stash my hiking pack and boots in the backseat without having to do contortions to get it back out. I can definitely see the appeal there. And it did fine on the trail, too.

That said, just like they mention in the video, the thing that really hit me was the turning radius. I was not at all used to taking turns that wide. I had to readjust my sense of space for sure, ha. Definitely prefer my 2 door in that regard, far more nimble.

But both are good in their own ways. A 2 door just fits my style better.

And I used to be more of a 2 door purist, I'll freely admit. But as I've gotten older, I've gotten a lot more tolerant in general. And I care a whole lot less about what other people do in their own time and on their own dime. Drive what you like and enjoy it!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I personally don’t care what you drive or how many doors it has (or doesn’t have). I just can’t help but laugh at some of the reasoning.

2 door gets better mpg! Assuming that it does, it’s also got a smaller fuel capacity, with a shorter total range, which means stopping for fuel at least as much as a 4 door. I can’t imagine the MPG difference would equate to a substantial $$ savings.

I could go on, but you all get the drift. Buy any capable 4wd vehicle you want, and hit the trails.
Nobody is saying the 4 door is hard to park. The JLU is very maneuverable.

But the 2 door is a joke almost. Everytime I drive that jeep it doesnt feel real how nimble it is. If youve never driven one you wouldnt know.

But it isnt a big deal. I dont think people are buying a 2 door because "it is so easy to park" . It is just a plus, but as you say, it is not like the 4 door is like a school bus. i mean it looks like one, but doesnt actually drive like one 😂.

Ohhh and you forgot something else people often throw around "you only need to take 2 doors off to get it naked" 😂.

It is funny people just cant get over the idea we might simply like different things. I like the 2 door jeeps, in fact, I love the 2 door jeeps. 4 door jeeps are meh to me, the soccer moms just stained the image too much for me.

But some people think the 2 doors look funny.

It is what it is. I like 2 doors. You like 4 doors.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Nobody is saying the 4 door is hard to park. The JLU is very maneuverable.

But the 2 door is a joke almost. Everytime I drive that jeep it doesnt feel real how nimble it is. If youve never driven one you wouldnt know.

But it isnt a big deal. I dont think people are buying a 2 door because "it is so easy to park" . It is just a plus, but as you say, it is not like the 4 door is like a school bus. i mean it looks like one, but doesnt actually drive like one 😂.

Ohhh and you forgot something else people often throw around "you only need to take 2 doors off to get it naked" 😂.

It is funny people just cant get over the idea we might simply like different things. I like the 2 door jeeps, in fact, I love the 2 door jeeps. 4 door jeeps are meh to me, the soccer moms just stained the image too much for me.

But some people think the 2 doors look funny.

It is what it is. I like 2 doors. You like 4 doors.
I actually like them both, it’s just that the 4 door has more pros than cons for me. Mostly because the 2 door isn’t even close to being capable of towing my boat.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Average ultra 4 car wheelbase is 110-120", average rock bouncer wheelbase 115-120". The 2dr guys can argue until they are blue in the face that the 2 door is "the best offroad", but in a world where they can run any wheelbase they want as every rig is custom built nobody is running sub 100" wheelbase. It simply is not stable enough on steep hills or at high speeds. I'll give you that it is better for mall parking lots though. Both are far more capable than most of us will push them to, but the idea that the only reason people buy 4drs is cargo/passenger space is disproven completely by tube chassis builds that have nothing to do with cargo space and everything to do with ultimate off road performance. If you just crawl or cruise at low speeds off road, there's very little difference. If you want to run more koh style with some speed both across the desert and through the rocks, I'll bet you do better both time wise and enjoyment/comfort wise in the 4dr. Some prefer the tiny go kart feel that gives the illusion of being fast to the driver (the same reason the miata is so popular), some actually drive fast. Those that actually drive fast will appreciate the extra wheelbase.

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon 2dr ,2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr
I’m 66 years old, wife and I have been driving 2dr wranglers since the 97 TJs came out, we have had 4 TJs, 1 LJ , 1 JK , 2 JLs ,all 2drs , always seem more fun to drive,also been empty nesters for 25 years ( no back seat) pack a lunch, or throw in an overnight bag, was my daily driver , still love them, most all were modified, 7 months on the current JLR 17k miles, still looking for reasons to go for a ride !

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I’m 66 years old, wife and I have been driving 2dr wranglers since the 97 TJs came out, we have had 4 TJs, 1 LJ , 1 JK , 2 JLs ,all 2drs , always seem more fun to drive,also been empty nesters for 25 years ( no back seat) pack a lunch, or throw in an overnight bag, was my daily driver , still love them, most all were modified, 7 months on the current JLR 17k miles, still looking for reasons to go for a ride !
Also less is more. When I consider I can travel across the country fully self contained with under 100 liters packed, the 2 door is amazing!!

That being said, if I was to get a 4 door then why stop at a Wrangler? That Mojave JT looks to be an amazing rig for blazing across the desert!!

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
In fairnESS, I duck ‘em all.

I drive the 2 door because I like fitting where others are wary. Nuttin‘ more complicated than that. Anyone that has crushed the stock tailpipe before they relocatEd the %#$& muffle/tailpipe will know what I mean……. ;)

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
2 dr is much better based on one reason. Breakover. How much lift does the 4 door need to match the oem 2dr?
To match a stock JLR, a 4-door needs 35s & 2" lift.
To match a JLR with a 1" lift & 35s, the 4-door needs 37s & 3" lift.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why a two door is better than a four door Breakover Angle vs. Rubicon Lift

If you think your stock 2 door is perfect for any trail, you aren't wheeling anywhere a subaru with a lift couldn't go.
The lifted Subaru:
2016-01-08_18-18-37-640x480.jpg

For comparison, here's a stock JLR & a 4-door with 2.5" lift & 37s at the same location.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
To match a stock JLR, a 4-door needs 35s & 2" lift.
To match a JLR with a 1" lift & 35s, the 4-door needs 37s & 3" lift.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why a two door is better than a four door 2016-01-08_18-18-37-640x480

How big of a lift would the Subaru need to do this?

For comparison, here's a 4-door with 2.5" lift & 37s.

BuT WhaT aBouT thE BrEKOver angle!
The 4dr lifted for equal breakover angle beats the 2dr in every other measurement at that point from contact patch, approach/departure angles, rocker clearance, diff clearance, to water fording and is still more stable and rides better than the stock 2dr. The 4dr in that video maybe got within 4" of the rock slider, the exact height gained by his lift and tires over stock. A stock 4dr has no problem with that same line on bald mountain, ask me how I know⬇
Jeep Wrangler JL Why a two door is better than a four door 20200523_135549

Dick

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
I say to each their own, I bought my first YJ when my 3 sons began to drive. Not often I had them in the Jeep with me and the Mrs., only once did I have two in the back. Had that JL for 14 years before trading for a Chev. PU. Loved that truck, but missed the YJ. Me and the Mrs. drove it from the prairies to the east coast and back, had a ball also did my fair share of playing in the snow and mud, nimble was the name of the game. Best vehicle I ever had for snow. So like I said to each there own, I like nimble. So now that I am a lot older (76)……..what do I buy, a 2021 JL Rubi, and absolutely love everything about it, old memories of the 2dr handling came back, but huge upgrades over the YJ. The 2dr is just a ball to drive. As for getting in, well it keeps me and the Mrs. nimble too.

Shelly

First Name
Shelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S
Back seat??? only put it in as a last resort! You four door guys and all your seat needs, lol
I took my back seat out to go on a camping trip back in Sept. Don’t know that the seat willl ever go in until it dies or I decide to get a new one.
Sponsored