Sponsored

Why a hard top headliner?

What attracts you most to getting a headliner for your hard top?

• Total voters

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
What's the most predominate reason that people get a hard top headliner for?
Sponsored

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
First two for me but also the look. I don't like painting anything so I'm not about to paint that awful white. Changes the look and feel of the interior and makes it not seem as cheap.

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
The JL headliners are much firmer than the one in a 2017 JK I test drove late last year. The JK headliners were flimsy where one could easily pull and bend the edges and corners down ... kinda like a firm sponge. The new JL headliners from the factory reminds me of audio sound absorption panels for home theaters ... firm. I like them. I bought the headliners for a number of reasons, not just one.
1. Keeps cabin colder in summer and warmer in winter;
2. Keeps cabin quieter;
3. Better audio acoustics ... music sounds very tight and natural. Better than my 2008 E-Class (except at highway speeds because the EClass is much quieter).
4. To a lesser extent, tames down the white inside color of the hard top. Why would anyone pick white ... way to reflective and distracting a color for the driver as a inside cabin color ... yiiikes :(

Last edited:

Sponsored

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
The JL headliners are much firmer than the one in a 2017 JK I test drove late last year. The JK headliners were flimsy where one could easily pull and bend the edges and corners down ... kinda like a firm sponge. The new JL headliners from the factory reminds me of audio sound absorption panels for home theaters ... firm. I like them. I bought the headliners for a number of reasons, not just one.
1. Keeps cabin colder in summer and warmer in winter;
2. Keeps cabin quieter;
3. Better audio acoustics ... music sounds very tight and natural. Better than my 2008 E-Class.
4. To a lesser extent, tames down the white inside color of the hard top. Why would anyone pick white ... way to reflective and distracting a color for the driver as a inside cabin color ... yiiikes :(
Someone tested the hothead headliners and found there was a 1-2% difference in cabin and seat temp with the headliners installed. But this was in the heat, maybe they work better to retain heat

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I have the DEI Boom Mat headliner in my JK. For the longest time I just kinda figured it was a gimmick type item but finally caved after moving to PHX. Yup, they work. Helps with temp. control and brings down the road noise as well. Also, just helps your radio sound so much better.

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
HI,
I do believe the main reason that Jeep owners put in headliners is because of the heat that radiates down from the hard top. I believe that because heat was the original reason we made our headliners and because our sale increase so much in the summer. Once the outside temp hits the low 90s (if your Jeep is in the sun) your hard top hits about 170 which radiates directly onto your head. If you have plenty of hair up there you may not notice with your air turned on full, but once your hair starts thinning you will experience a hot head which is where we got our name. Headliners also help insulate against cold, quite road noise, make your stereo sound better & look much better that a bare hard top.
I do believe all the headliners on the market will make a noticeable difference in all the areas I mentioned. I also realize that headliners are not an accessory that everyone would want, but if you are curious about them take a look at our web site or give me a call. We have pictures & videos that the constructions & installation.
My direct number is below. If you have any questions (even if it's just how we justify our prices) give me a call.
Web site link: Hothead Headliners
best regards,
Mark
714-872-2071

Full Top.jpg Facebook.jpg

Born2ski

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
I used to store my hard tops on a saw horse in the yard when I transitioned to my soft top for summer use on my older Jeeps. I now have 2019 Wrangler with the headliners and wonder if I can still store it outdoors? Should I be worried about the potential for mould on the fabric of the headliner? Any suggestions as I don't have a garage and my deck doesn't have enough clearance!? Thanks :)

Sponsored

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
I used to store my hard tops on a saw horse in the yard when I transitioned to my soft top for summer use on my older Jeeps. I now have 2019 Wrangler with the headliners and wonder if I can still store it outdoors? Should I be worried about the potential for mould on the fabric of the headliner? Any suggestions as I don't have a garage and my deck doesn't have enough clearance!? Thanks :)
Hi,
I wish I had a good solution for you but I don't. All I can say is the fabric on the headliner panels would be subject to mold and general funkiness just like any fabric. I would even be leery of having them outdoors with a tarp over the hard top. I would be afraid of bugs making their home in there.
Sorry I don't have a better answer,
Mark

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I do not have the Hothead headliners...but the name finally makes sense. I am 6'4" with a hardtop. I assume my head is much closer to the roof than most. I am also a bald man and my first summer here in North Texas I literally told my coworker "man my head was hot driving home yesterday." I bought a early model JLUR so don't think it was ready for production. Something I want but don't need so its on a wishlist for the future.

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
I have the factory-installed headliner and can vouch for its effectiveness. It helps to quiet the interior as well as keeping it warmer in the Winter, cooler in the Summer.

I'm also 6'4" and the Summer heat no longer bakes the top of my head.

Hunter

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I did it mostly to reduce the amount of din bouncing off the hard fiberglass surface. I am happy with the results: my Sahara interior is as quiet as any vehicle I’ve owned.

I found the Mopar headliners on Amazon for $411; no tax and free shipping, so I went for it. This was a few months back. The Mopar kit includes the quarter window surrounds.

I’d do it again.
Sponsored