Who's running Cooper mud tires?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm looking at maybe upgrading to a Cooper mud tire in a 35" size. Either the STT PRO or MTP. I'd like to hear from people how these ride on the highway. I don't like tires that vibrate and require lots of weight to balance. What's your experience with them?
Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I had 37x12.50 stt pro's on my jkr and loved them. Will likely buy them again.

Back In Black Rubi

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have the STT Pro.
I'm not going to sugarcoat it, they are considerably more harsh and noiser than the OE KO2.
But the advantages for off-road traction is very impressive.
If your 70% + on the road these may wear on you too much, whereas the KO2 is less of a compromise.

Just my opinion...

Last edited:

jeep31

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
What PSI do you inflate at your STT Pro 35" when on street driving?

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
I have the STT Pro.
I'm no going ton sugarcoat it, they are considerably more harsh and noiser than the OE KO2.
But the advantages for off-road traction is very impressive.
If your 70% + on the road these may wear on you too much, whereas the KO2 is less of a compromise.

Just my opinion...
Could you tell me the exact tire size you're running? Are they 10 ply/E-rated tires? Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm still shopping around. Looking at the Cooper STT Pro, Cooper MTP, and Milestar Patagonia M/T.

I had a JKU on STT Pro tires pass me on the highway the other day and those puppies were LOUD. Now, I don't have any idea if that Jeep had proper alignment, etc. obviously, but there was a lot of road noise. I was surprised.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I'm still shopping around. Looking at the Cooper STT Pro, Cooper MTP, and Milestar Patagonia M/T.

I had a JKU on STT Pro tires pass me on the highway the other day and those puppies were LOUD. Now, I don't have any idea if that Jeep had proper alignment, etc. obviously, but there was a lot of road noise. I was surprised.
The Milestar Patagonia is the quietest and smoothest MT you will ever find.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase

Though I have no personal experience with the STT Pros (which were high on my list until recently), I have read too many accounts and watched too many videos where the noisiness of the STT Pros are mentioned. In one video by TrailRecon, someone whose opinion I respect, he said he got rid of his STT Pros because, although they started out quiet and he loved them, they got progressively louder and louder to the point where, at 40K miles, he couldn't stand the noise any longer. That was the clincher for me. I'm now down to the Milestar Patagonias and the BFG KO2s. My problem with these two choices is that, in the size I need, the former is E-rated and the latter is D-rated. Not sure I want either of those on my Jeep, but I'm running out of options. I may just get a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers though they definitely would not be in the running if I could get either of the aforementioned tires in a C or lower rating.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I had the Milestar Patagonia in a 38x13.50r17 on my JK I just traded in. I honestly loved everything about them.

When it came time to decide on tires for the JL, that I ordered, I narrowed it down to the following:

1. Milestar Patagonia 40x13.50
2. Cooper STT Pro 40x13.50
3. BFG KM3 39x13.50

My first choice was the Milestar for a couple reasons. They are quiet, smooth, stay balanced, do well offroad, and they are good in winter.

After a month or so of waiting, DTD informed me that they couldn't get them. I could choose another tire they offer or cancel. I told them I'd give them a call in a few days after thinking about it.

I went back and forth between the Cooper and BFG. They are both quality tire brands.

The Cooper was the heaviest out of the three which I try to avoid. It was also the widest, which I prefer narrower if possible.

The BFG has zero siping, so I worried it would stink in winter. (Caveat, I previously had the Pro Comp Xtreme MT2 which is siped that did horrible in winter, and the Yokohama MT2 which has zero siping and did well. Odd.) However, I still worried. Plus I was annoyed it was an inch short.

After mulling over the options, I decided on the Cooper. The sales rep at DTD could tell I was a bit disappointed when I called in. He went above and beyond, and informed me that he would call some local DT stores and see if they could get their hands on 5 Milestars. I got a call about an hour later from a store manager. He told me that he tracked down 5 and to stop in to pay. I was ecstatic to be honest. Great customer service, beyond what I would ever expect, and recieved the tires I wanted.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I'm trying to run a 38x13.50R20LT. Yes, I want 38s on 20s and not many options out there in that size. The Cooper STT Pro is the only one I can find in a "D" load rating. Hoping the D rating will mean its a bit smoother.

All of that said and based on all of the feedback I've heard, I would get Patagonias if I could find them in that size, even if that meant going to a E or F. Unfortunately most tire companies are making their 38x20 super wide, like 15.5 inches and I don't want anything that wide.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
I'm looking at maybe upgrading to a Cooper mud tire in a 35" size. Either the STT PRO or MTP. I'd like to hear from people how these ride on the highway. I don't like tires that vibrate and require lots of weight to balance. What's your experience with them?
I am running the Mastercraft Courser MXTs which are made by Cooper and resemble the tread pattern. I personally do not notice any significant increase in road noise with the hard top on. I cannot speak for topless and I haven't removed the top yet. These are no louder than GY Wrangler Dura tracs that I had on a previous JKU. I was hesitant at first when I ordered them but I am pleasantly surprised and have zero regrets. My wife is a pretty good critic and she would not downplay something she didn't like and when I first put them on the Jeep I asked her if she thought my tires were noisy, without hesitation she told me "not at all" and that she really liked the look of the mud terrains vs the previous KO2s I was running.
Sponsored