Sponsored

Who's replaced their Aux Battery? Which one did you buy and where?

dav_webb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Sarge, 2021 Rubicon 4xe Hydroblue
Looks like it is time to replace my Aux Battery. Looking to see who's had it done, at what mileage, and where did you buy it or get it done?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I bought an Optima. Two of them. For the Genesis mod.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

ItsUhJEEP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
At 4.5yrs and 43k miles I replaced both.

Considered the Mopar AUX battery then found out that the 3yr warranty on it only applied to dealer installed.

Bought all the fender clips from Amazon to change myself.

I ended up with whatever I could get my hands on at the time, which was from O'rielys Auto Parts. I have since sold the JLUR and all my records went with it so I can't give you model #s. It was around $400 to do.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Is there any reason to keep the Aux Battery ? Is there really any ESS benefit to keeping this dual battery Parasitic Set Up ? Why not eliminate the expense and hassle by eliminating, or at least disconnecting that Aux Battery per the excellent information on this Forum ?
Any fuel saving would seem to be far outweighed by the expense of that Aux battery.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced both batteries when the Jeep was only eighteen months old. Got a pair of Super Start batteries from O’Reillys Auto Parts.

I walked up to the O’Reillys parts counter, gave them my vehicle’s model year, make, model and engine, and they pulled out the exact replacement batteries I needed. Paid $107 for the auxiliary and $199 for the main battery. I’m sure prices have gone up since.

I am not the most mechanically inclined person; I did the swap myself going in through the engine compartment. All it takes is a 10mm socket, a bit of strength to pull out the 50-lb main battery, and about two hours of your time. Add another hour to drive to O’Reillys and to drop off the old battery cores.

This was twenty months ago now. It’s been cold this week: temps been hovering between 16ºF to 20ºF with a good amount of snow: the ESS continues to work; the auxiliary battery keeps my steering wheel and seats toasty, and the HVAC blowing hot, all with the engine turned off.

Last edited:

digimark

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 MT JK 2-dr X, Nacho JLUR 4xe.
I replaced mine with a honkin' big battery under the rear seat. Jury's still out on whether it was a wise move.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Is there any reason to keep the Aux Battery ? Is there really any ESS benefit to keeping this dual battery Parasitic Set Up ? Why not eliminate the expense and hassle by eliminating, or at least disconnecting that Aux Battery per the excellent information on this Forum ?
Any fuel saving would seem to be far outweighed by the expense of that Aux battery.
RIGHT ON! It's spending hundreds to save 3 bucks.. if you're lucky.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You might want to keep the dual-battery setup for no other reason that to make the dealer happy and keep the warranty valid.

I let the ESS turned on, even in sub-freezing temps. Today is 15ºF, with a windchill of -1ºF. Simply swapping the OE batteries with a better aftermarket brand enables the ESS and the Cold Weather Group work the way God intended.

I am amazed at how good the Cold Weather Group works even with the engine turned off.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I bypassed the aux battery, and never looked back. I wish I had done it years ago. It would have extended the life of my main battery by years.

Reactions: GtX

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
Looks like it is time to replace my Aux Battery. Looking to see who's had it done, at what mileage, and where did you buy it or get it done?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Had mine replaced under warranty. Following as I'm sure it will need replacement next year.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
At 4.5yrs and 43k miles I replaced both.

Considered the Mopar AUX battery then found out that the 3yr warranty on it only applied to dealer installed.
I'm not sure where you got that idea, but the auxiliary battery has a 1 year warranty regardless of who installs it.
Sponsored