Sponsored

Whoops. Don’t mention 7% until after the test drive.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
So I emailed my dealer. I have several dealers nearby by the one I bought my volvo from I figured I’d ask if they’d be willing to go the 7%. We also get a discount there through work.

Whelp. They said they’d get back to me. I texted today to see if they were free for test drives as I still wanted to drive the manual and a gladiator.

Response:
Hey I got with my sales manger and unfortunately I won’t be able to do 7% on build. And what you want I don’t have.

I guess they would like me to go elsewhere to test drive as he is just ignoring that requests. I think I’ll keep the 7% on the DL until after I drive everything I want. Lol.
Sponsored

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
What 7% is this you speak of?

Lazygreek

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Hello Doc, I hate to say it. But you got called out by a salesman looking for a buyer, not a test driver. Your best bet, is just be upfront and if you knew they didn't have the car you want, why do the dance. You wasting a salesperson time with hiding your card's.

You could of said, " I'm looking to order a vehicle, and I'm undecided for either a manual or a auto. Can you please help/" And the salesman would of been glad to help.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Best tactic I have found from cat shopping is to separate or the test drive from the buy

Play around with the car on the lot see about options blah blah blah, the dealer will hound you to buy now now now tell them to fuck off you need to think it over (you are about to drop big coin it's a valid excuse).

Now that you have an idea of exactly what you want email every dealership you are willing to work with and all for their best price any discounts like tread lightly tell them about and see what they come back with and they will either give you a good price or a good for them price. Take the lowest price and go to the other higher dealers and show them the evidence and say bet this is you want my money. Some will baulk and some will play.

They need your money more than you need the Jeep but they try to make it feel like it's the other way around.

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
What 7% is this you speak of?
Many dealers post on here 7-8% under invoice on orders. Criswell in Maryland being one of the most popular.

It’s a weird scenario where I know I’m likely not going to buy local. If they can’t match at least 7% (brown in VA is doing 8% with tread lightly) there’s no way I’m buying there. Road trip with the buddies is worth a few grand. Around here about invoice is the norm.

That said I’m not driving to Maryland to test drive so I still need the dealers here to drive. I’ve driven a 3.6 rubicon with the 8 speed. I’d like to drive a manual and a 2.0. Is also like to drive a Gladiator. There are many other dealers around here so I’ll go to another and not mention anything until after my drives. I’d love to buy local, but I’m not paying more to do so.

I get he doesn’t want me to waste his time. I offered to try to set up a group buy on here but they aren’t interested. Which is totally fine. They sell enough at the prices they set. That said they do have the engine/transmissions I am looking for, not the exact build and options so they do have what I want to test drive. Not my fault their prices suck. I though maybe since I was a loyal customer with a work discount I could be up front. I’m pretty honest. Nope.

I just thought it was a funny story.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I bought locally in Ohio. For one thing, I'm not traveling to save a couple of thousand. My time and energy are worth more, but for those of you that do, I'm glad you saved. Also, dealers get paid crap for warranty work and they can refuse your vehicle for said work. I just told my dealer what others around the country were doing and I asked how close he could come. I also placed an order for a Sport S with no frills, so he wasn't going to make much money there. Also, having this forum up with the dealer map helps when you are talking to a dealer about a potential buy. So just be totally upfront and tell them what you want. If they don't help you, then about face:like:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I received 21% off of MSRP. Here is my winning strategy; I have done this for three vehicles. IT TAKES PATIENCE AND RESOLVE!!!

Pick any close dealership, test-drive ANY Jeep - doesn’t matter if you want it or not. Give them an impossibly low offer; they will come back with high numbers. Give them the same impossibly low offer. When they come back too high, thank them for their time and leave. If you have a trade, give them an impossibly high value on your trade too.

You WILL receive tons of offers from your area of the state after that visit. I did. It took about two weeks. A manager - not a sales manager - contacted me personally with info on the Jeep I ended up buying. I waited two days and then called her. I told her the truth - I didn’t NEED a new vehicle, I WANTED a Jeep but my wife was totally against it. I told her that the local dealership couldn’t even come close. She said “But you haven’t dealt with ME!” Game on. I drove an hour south and met with her.

I kept giving them the same impossibly low numbers throughout the process, after the test-drive. The lowest the sales manager could get was in the high-300’s for a monthly payment. I thanked him and the salesman, and as I started to leave the original manager came to me and said “Where are you going?” I told her that sadly, in spite of her people’s BEST EFFORTS, they couldn’t meet my wife’s requirements. She asked for those requirements. I said “Two hundred a month,” $50 BELOW my wife’s requirements. Fifteen minutes later she comes back with new figures - down from almost $400 a month to - and you won’t believe this - $249 a month.

My wife was rather shocked, needless to say. The process at the dealership took 3-4 hours.

Last edited:

Lazygreek

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I get it if you are going to pay cash. But a couple grand is maybe $2 (if not less) a day (if financing) in your savings ? really ? all this headache for that ?

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
7% is child's play if you buying off the lot, I don't even visit a dealership, I look at online inventory and just email them, see what they come back with, I don't give my phone number until a price is agreed to by email, last JL Sahara I got 11k off was looking for zero options, ended up with almost fully loaded for the base price. Deal with high volume auto malls for best price.

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I get it if you are going to pay cash. But a couple grand is maybe $2 (if not less) a day (if financing) in your savings ? really ? all this headache for that ?
Money is money. Is 4K worth a 6hr drive? Of course it is. And not to mention if I finance that 4K will end up being even more. I’m happy to offer my business to local dealers but I’m not going to hand them 4K as a gift.

As far as getting 20% off. Over 10k off would be a massive loss to the dealership. I suppose if they had something sitting on the lot gathering dust then maybe but I doubt anyone will let me build my exact rig for that. I’d like a fully loaded rubicon in pumpkin with a sky one touch. That’s not something you find on the lots around here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I received 21% off of MSRP. Here is my winning strategy; I have done this for three vehicles. IT TAKES PATIENCE AND RESOLVE!!!

Pick any close dealership, test-drive ANY Jeep - doesn’t matter if you want it or not. Give them an impossibly low offer; they will come back with high numbers. Give them the same impossibly low offer. When they come back too high, thank them for their time and leave. If you have a trade, give them an impossibly high value on your trade too.

You WILL receive tons of offers from your area of the state after that visit. I did. It took about two weeks. A manager - not a sales manager - contacted me personally with info on the Jeep I ended up buying. I waited two days and then called her. I told her the truth - I didn’t NEED a new vehicle, I WANTED a Jeep but my wife was totally against it. I told her that the local dealership couldn’t even come close. She said “But you haven’t dealt with ME!” Game on. I drove an hour south and met with her.

I kept giving them the same impossibly low numbers throughout the process, after the test-drive. The lowest the sales manager could get was in the high-300’s for a monthly payment. I thanked him and the salesman, and as I started to leave the original manager came to me and said “Where are you going?” I told her that sadly, in spite of her people’s BEST EFFORTS, they couldn’t meet my wife’s requirements. She asked for those requirements. I said “Two hundred a month,” $50 BELOW my wife’s requirements. Fifteen minutes later she comes back with new figures - down from almost $400 a month to - and you won’t believe this - $249 a month.

My wife was rather shocked, needless to say. The process at the dealership took 3-4 hours.
Awesome you were able to do this. I searched from the Eastern, southern, and Midwest US and couldn’t find what I wanted on a lot.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome you were able to do this. I searched from the Eastern, southern, and Midwest US and couldn’t find what I wanted on a lot.
Don’t give up and be flexible! Good luck!

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So I emailed my dealer. I have several dealers nearby by the one I bought my volvo from I figured I’d ask if they’d be willing to go the 7%. We also get a discount there through work.

Whelp. They said they’d get back to me. I texted today to see if they were free for test drives as I still wanted to drive the manual and a gladiator.

Response:
Hey I got with my sales manger and unfortunately I won’t be able to do 7% on build. And what you want I don’t have.

I guess they would like me to go elsewhere to test drive as he is just ignoring that requests. I think I’ll keep the 7% on the DL until after I drive everything I want. Lol.
You asked for 7% off MSRP or invoice?

OP
OP
DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
You asked for 7% off MSRP or invoice?
Invoice is the deal. Anyone if you’re willing to take.a drive can get 7-8% off invoice on an order.

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

If you don't mind me asking, what was the MSRP and what was the final negotiated price. I have seen some great deals but this would be the greatest of all. I appreciate the info on monthly payments but monthly payments rarely tell the story of sales price. Depending on length of finance and interest rate the monthly payment for the same vehicle being sold at the same price to 2 different people could vary a couple hundred a month.

I couldn't agree more on the importance of patience and the willingness to walk out without buying at your price are probably the 2 most important factors in your ability to get any vehicle at the price that makes you happy.
Sponsored