2drSportOC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door sport
Hello All,

I have a 2020 JL Sport with the 2.0 and 8 speed. Shortly after taking delivery, I detected an unusual low range whoop whoop sound that can be heard inside and coming from the rear of the Jeep, possibly on the passenger side. I can only hear the noise at low speeds (about 5mph) and it seems to be related to subtle throttle input or release. It is not loud enough to capture on my phone and is not a rotational sound. I have been able to create the sound in drive, reverse and neutral (with jeep rolling). I have searched the forums and haven't found anyone complaining about the same type of noise.

I took it to the dealer and got the usual run around by the service writer (claimed he couldn't hear it). I assured him the noise was there so he claims he had a "master technician" take a look and they explained the sound was related to the turbo and likely coming through the exhaust which was normal. I don't know much about the turbos, but it seems the turbo might not be engaging yet at the very subtle throttle input. Secondly, if it was normal I would think the service writer would have knowledge of my complaint (maybe I am giving him too much credit).

The sound seems abnormal enough that if others had the same thing going on someone would have posted in the forums. So, with all that being said, has anyone experienced this sound in their Jeep or have an idea what it could be? I'm trying to confirm if the sound IS normal or if I should remain concerned and take it to another dealer. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Have you ever driven a vehicle with a turbo before?

this is a real question, and not at all intended to be derisive.

OP
OP
2drSportOC

2drSportOC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door sport
Yes I have, but I have never heard this sound. Do you have more to offer?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Try a different dealership, or try to test drive another JL with the 2.0L. If yours is different, which it probably is, you can tell them they’re wrong and it needs looked at.

And yes, turbos lag at light throttle input.

OP
OP
2drSportOC

2drSportOC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door sport
Thanks. My guess is if the sound is normal, other 2.0 owners would have posted their experiences with it.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL Whoop whoop sound at low RPMs 200w_d

Did you check for any rubbing signs under the Jeep? Also sound travels weird under these things, I've chased rear end noises for weeks only to have an outside observer pinpoint it in the front end.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thanks. My guess is if the sound is normal, other 2.0 owners would have posted their experiences with it.
Doesn't sound normal if it's making "whoop" "whoop" with discontinuation in between, especially if you are in neutral and coasting.

Funny story, once I heard this "tap" "tap" "tap" sound as I drive, coming out of the passenger side window, and it drove me crazy. Eventually, after looking everywhere, I found a large piece of rock stuck in my front passenger tire tread. It was smacking on to road surfaces. After removing it, the sound went away.

OP
OP
2drSportOC

2drSportOC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door sport
I haven't been able to detect the sound from outside the Jeep. The sound is pretty subtle but annoying and I'm guessing it is some sort of reverberation, which could be coming from anywhere.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll try another dealer and hopefully find someone with enough interest and skill to track it down.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I haven't been able to detect the sound from outside the Jeep. The sound is pretty subtle but annoying and I'm guessing it is some sort of reverberation, which could be coming from anywhere.
Does it make noise with the windows up?

Sponsored

Redmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL 2dr Rubicon
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I am hearing the exact same sound at nearly idle speed (1-6mph). Sounds like a sputter in the exhaust. Can’t seem to make it happen in neutral and when the fans kick in the slight rpm bump makes it very hard to repeat. Also it is not audible outside just very subtle in the cab. Seems like a low load sputter from the exhaust. Anyone else noticed this?

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
Sounds like diverter valve or waste gate opening

OP
OP
2drSportOC

2drSportOC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door sport
Glad I am not the only one hearing things! I still hear it at low speeds but reluctant to visit the dealer for a third time. On the second visit, they put a little rubber pad on the right rear fender liner where two pieces come together just in case a vibration caused the noise. They also replaced the evap canister which is located in the same area. I'm sure they got paid for warranty work but neither "repair" worked. I'm starting to think there might be something loose inside the muffler (who knows?) that will reverberate under the low speed conditions. The engine and road noise drowns out the noise at higher speeds.

Redmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL 2dr Rubicon
I bet it is fairly common but most folks are probably less neurotic about small noises in a Jeep lol.
Sponsored