Sponsored

Who will be providing the GPS Nav software for Uconnect?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I just hope that you can get real topo maps that are accurate or use a another program like Isa topo or Back country explorer

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
So if Garmin is supplying the base maps for the apple/android car play and google maps is also available. do either run on cell towers or are both Gps based?
I have just been screwing around with google earth mapping out some nice dirt road back country drive in north san Diego and checking some fairly obscure points on goggle earth and they transfer to google maps which I assume is the sam google maps on the dash unit. This would seem to mean that anything road wise dirt or less that you can find on google earth would be visible on google maps in your apple car play?
so what would Garmin be supplying?

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Carplay only uses Apple maps. To use the built-in Nav, you have to exit CarPlay. For off-roading, I think I will use Android Auto and a burner android phone. I could then download google maps for the area (not an option with Apple).

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Keep in mind, CarPlay can still run in background to handle calls if you are using any Uconnect apps

Sponsored

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
So if Garmin is supplying the base maps for the apple/android car play and google maps is also available. do either run on cell towers or are both Gps based?
I have just been screwing around with google earth mapping out some nice dirt road back country drive in north san Diego and checking some fairly obscure points on goggle earth and they transfer to google maps which I assume is the sam google maps on the dash unit. This would seem to mean that anything road wise dirt or less that you can find on google earth would be visible on google maps in your apple car play?
so what would Garmin be supplying?
Keep in mind what CarPlay and Android Auto do. They are an app in the car system that only provides an interface to apps on your phone or tablet. So, when you use google maps in Android Auto, it is just displayed info from your device. The device does the crunching and heavy lifting. Android Auto and CarPlay will not work without a device connected to be the brains.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The internal Garmin nav will use GPS with its own map database. However, I think with these new Uconnect units, updates can be downloaded either with a wifi connection at your home, or with a data connection through your phone. Someone please correct me if I'm far of the mark or even close.

bdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Are there any benefits to getting the built in Nav? I would assume Apple Carplay/ Andriod Auto would be used most of the time. Why would someone also purchase the built in nav?

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I have been using CarPlay for a year now. It is much more convenient to type in the location on your phone before heading out or requesting directions via Siri than to use a screen on the dash. The only time I ever want dedicated NAV is when going through areas with no data service. I use Sprint. It is an understatement to say driving through some of rural Texas and half of Oklahoma is not ideal. If I keep the app running, it is fine, I just lose the map details (it shows the route on a grid, like you are in the computer with Tron). If I close out the app by accident at a stop, that is where I run into trouble. I keep a cheap Garmin Nuvi under the seat just in case.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Updating the maps in the built-in Nav looks like it's going to be a world of hurt. You're probably better off using your phone. I don't want to use my phone, so I will probably be getting a separate portable Garmin. They are very nice and easy to update with Lifetime Maps.

Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
My 2015 Mustang came with a Nokia/Here GPS map display with annual subscription of $150. Garmin bought out HERE and kept the annual update charge. The dash display option cost $800.
I bought a Garmin 8 inch GPS add-on for my older Wrangler for $300...it came with free lifetime map updates (usually every six months), the unit has voice command and BlueTooth interconnect for my cellphone. I can load free maps. I now have more than 16,000 campgrounds on the add-on, along with a multiple set of other mapped features.
The FCA Garmin unit appears to cost about $800 with a $150 annual update. I don't know if I want to spend an additional $1000 just for the convenience of a built in GPS map display. Can the UConnect system be fed independent map data?

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Updating the maps in the built-in Nav looks like it's going to be a world of hurt. You're probably better off using your phone. I don't want to use my phone, so I will probably be getting a separate portable Garmin. They are very nice and easy to update with Lifetime Maps.
I’m thinking the same thing. All this new tech marketing and in the end we still have to go shop a Garmin suction cupper like its 2003. If we could then patch that thru the 8” dash display that’d be something at least.

Also curious to see how much the SiriusXM package will cost vs/ just getting a unit installed aftermarket. Going to drive the wheels off mine & satellite radio is a must

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Do we know for sure that Garmin is not providing the map for the Uconnect Nav? Also why would updating be a pain? I would think it could connect to your home wifi or do it through your phone. Anyone with a Grand Cherokee with the latest Uconnect with built in Nav? Please chime in.
Sponsored