Sponsored

Who using BlueOx to tow JLR and what did you do with the lights.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
OK I have come to the conclusion to tow my JLR.... I have a BlueOx leftover from using it on my TJ.... So those who tow, what did you do for your lights.... wired in current tail lights, do the magnetic light to the steel rear bumper?

Looking forward to your comments and suggestion with horrid stories.
Sponsored

dggueterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red Sahara
We tow our 2018 JLU Sahara behind our motorhome, using a Blue OX & Air force braking system. It has the LED lights. We opted to utilize lights wired in to the car's system.

We've towed it several thousand miles without an issue.

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I just installed a Currie tow bar plate that works with the steel bumper that I bought at the Off Road show in Pomona last weekend . The Currie plate is advertised to work with the Blue Ox tow bar with out adapters. The install was straight forward and took a little over an hour in my driveway.

The tow plate is high quality and made in the USA .

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
your question about BlueOx and JLR is right in my wheelhouse. I've towed about 6,000 miles to date and no issues. I run the complete system from tow bar to braking. I installed CoolTech's deluxe tow system with umbilical cord ,safety chains and wiring and it's been trouble free too. Once installed, plug and play.
Thanks for info... what baseplate did you use. What braking unit and is your JLUR, do you think a lighter JLR need a braking unit.... I did not have one on my TJ and all was well.

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed a Currie tow bar plate that works with the steel bumper that I bought at the Off Road show in Pomona last weekend . The Currie plate is advertised to work with the Blue Ox tow bar with out adapters. The install was straight forward and took a little over an hour in my driveway.

The tow plate is high quality and made in the USA .
Thanks, sound easier to install then BlueOx where you have to cut the bottom skid plate.

Sponsored

firemk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Punk'n)
We tow our JLU behind our motorhome. I use the Blue Ox towbar, towplates, and Blue Ox Patriot brake system. I opted to not tie into the factory wire harness for lights. I ran wiring front to rear along the frame rail to power lights. The power comes from the motorhome 7 pin plug and I attached external lights to the rear. The lights I use have a magnetic base and I place them below the taillights and above the bumper. I have towed about 4000 miles or so with this setup. No issues. Also, I use the RVI towed vehicle battery charger to be sure I don't have battery issues due to the brake system. I have the factory Aux switches so I installed a cigarette lighter plug up under the dash on the driver's side to power the brake system. The switch is programmed for constant power when on to power the brake. When not in use, the switch is off and the cigarette lighter plug is hidden..

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I have a Blue Ox Tow Bar I use to tow my Ram, and had the Maximus-3 tow bar brackets installed on the JLUR a couple weeks ago. I also had the MoPar towed vehicle harness installed in order to have the Jeep's lights connected to the coach's lights. I like the Maximus-3 setup as you don't have that big bar below the skid plate between the frame rails - a cleaner setup in my mind.

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the idea... I did look at their website.... I see you need to cut bumper and skid plate.

I have a Blue Ox Tow Bar I use to tow my Ram, and had the Maximus-3 tow bar brackets installed on the JLUR a couple weeks ago. I also had the MoPar towed vehicle harness installed in order to have the Jeep's lights connected to the coach's lights. I like the Maximus-3 setup as you don't have that big bar below the skid plate between the frame rails - a cleaner setup in my mind.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Rockhard 4x4 aluminum Patriot bumper and winch with Blue Ox tow bar. Brake Buddy Stealth supplemental braking system and Cooltech lighting kit.
Works great

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
BlueOx tow bar here also. Maximus3 tow loops and their adapters for the BlueOx. Cooltech wiring harnes works awesome. Rvi3 brake.

Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Rockhard aluminum bumper, brake buddy, blue ox tow bar and cheap Harbor Freight magnetic lights attached to rear quarter panels. About 5000 miles now with no problems.

ChadR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
IT
I installed the BlueOx bracket on the JLUR and use BlueOx towbar. CoolTech wire harness for lights. For braking I installed the Invisibrake. Love it.

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I use the CoolTech wiring harness. It was relatively easy to install and is reasonably priced. As for the rest, I installed an LOD Destroyer bumper with reinforcing brackets and Blue Ox adapter, plus the RVI3 brake.
FDF00CA3-61FE-4613-99C3-5C00C6829C27.jpeg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
RockHard Aluminum bumper with my custom plates/lugs directly to the frame, LOD frame reinforcements, Blue Ox towbar, Mopar Part #82215382AB 001 harness, RVI3 brake.

The Mopar harness plugs in between the tail lights and the original harness. When you connect the tow vehicle, it trips some relays in the new harness and disconnects the vehicle light system from the tail lights and license plate light and powers them from the tow vehicle. It takes some patience to install, but it's not particularly hard nor particularly technical. You remove all the plastic rocker interior rocker covers and kick panels from the passenger side.

Heres a link to my posts on the installation. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-tow-harness-arrived.20833/page-6#post-851273

20190928_161932_resized.jpg