Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Please correct my thinking here if I am wrong. The way I see it, you do not get more tread life out of the tires with a 5 tire rotation. You do get a longer period of time before you need to replace all 5 tires.

Tires have a maximum amount of miles of use before they need replacing. That number of miles is what it is, it never changes. I donā€™t care if you rotate in a 6th tire, the end of useful life of a tire is what it is.

If you only did a 4 tire rotation until you hit the mileage that meant it was time for new tires. You could buy 3 of the same, drop the unused spare for the 4th and that spare would need replacing around the same mileage as the previous 4 did.

I keep reading posts that you get more mileage from the tires. How can that be, as tires only have so many miles in them before they need replacing. That amount of miles doesnā€™t magically increase by doing a 5 tire rotation. However, the time before they wear out and need replacing will increase. Hope my long winded explanation makes sense.

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Stuck doing 4 because my shitty local dealer never mentioned it and I assumed they were doing 5 as part of the Jeep Wave. By the time I started going to my local service guy I had too many miles to include the spare.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
Stuck doing 4 because my shitty local dealer never mentioned it and I assumed they were doing 5 as part of the Jeep Wave. By the time I started going to my local service guy I had too many miles to include the spare.
Dealer told me yesterday that Jeep Wave only pays for 4

Sponsored

macphisto13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT but wanting to add a Jeep to my stable
Please correct my thinking here if I am wrong. The way I see it, you do not get more tread life out of the tires with a 5 tire rotation. You do get a longer period of time before you need to replace all 5 tires.

Tires have a maximum amount of miles of use before they need replacing. That number of miles is what it is, it never changes. I donā€™t care if you rotate in a 6th tire, the end of useful life of a tire is what it is.

If you only did a 4 tire rotation until you hit the mileage that meant it was time for new tires. You could buy 3 of the same, drop the unused spare for the 4th and that spare would need replacing around the same mileage as the previous 4 did.

I keep reading posts that you get more mileage from the tires. How can that be, as tires only have so many miles in them before they need replacing. That amount of miles doesnā€™t magically increase by doing a 5 tire rotation. However, the time before they wear out and need replacing will increase. Hope my long winded explanation makes sense.
Now this is the response of an engineer. You're 100% correct. You don't get more tread life, you just extend the time between replacing your tires - and you'll have to buy 5 instead of 4.

So as long as you are swapping a new set with the same size, this holds true. But the argument that tread size will be different if you ever need to use the spare will be a factor (if you care). For me, I'm going to go up a size when I replace my OEM tires. I want to use all the life out of all my tires when I do that.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)

Yes, you are correct. It's a matter of terminology. People measure tire mileage for the set as a whole based on vehicle mileage. The 5 tire rotation means 20 percent more vehicle mileage per set.

If each tire has a 40,000 mile tread life, a set of four lasts 40,000 miles. A five tire rotation of the same tires will cause the set to last 48,000 miles. So you do buy tires less often.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase

All tires have an expected lifespan whether used or just sitting there. I personally would not use a spare that sat on the back exposed to the sun (UV rays) for 3-4 years.

Look it as a "set" of tires, buy a set of 5 tires with a 50K tread life and only use 4 you replace all at 50K. Same scenario but with a 5 tire rotation you buy 5 new tires at 70K (or more).

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
All tires have an expected lifespan whether used or just sitting there. I personally would not use a spare that sat on the back exposed to the sun (UV rays) for 3-4 years.

Look it as a "set" of tires, buy a set of 5 tires with a 50K tread life and only use 4 you replace all at 50K. Same scenario but with a 5 tire rotation you buy 5 new tires at 70K (or more).
Yes, you will put more mileage on the odometer, hence more time before having to replace them. But the tires themselves will still wear out at 50,000. Thatā€™s all the mileage they are good for. That will never change.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I was doing all 5 but got a nail near sidewall in one. Shops wouldn't fix so plugged myself. Will go as long as I can with the repaired tire being exclusively the spare. I think the 5 tire rotations I've been doing has extended the life of the 4 tires I'm now rotating. As long as I don't loose another tire I'll hopefully get a couplle of years out of these. Once replaced I'll go back to 5 tire rotation.

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you will put more mileage on the odometer, hence more time before having to replace them. But the tires themselves will still wear out at 50,000. Thatā€™s all the mileage they are good for. That will never change.
Please re-read, it was never stated that EACH tire has more life

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
When itā€™s time for a tire rotation, do you rotate 4 or 5? And Why?
I always do a 5 tire rotation. This is so I get maximum mileage on all 5 tires.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

You're missing a few key points.

The spare tire sees a lot more direct sunlight than the other tires and always has the same half of the tire facing the sun. That half of the tire is getting worn even though it still has all of its tread. It will not have the same serviceable life as a new tire and will be more prone to failure. A 5 tire rotation spreads out this UV wear across all tires instead of concentrating it on one half of a single tire, making it a non-issue.

As tires wear, their circumference reduces. If you need to use the spare tire, you can have a tire that is slightly larger than all your other tires which needs to spin slightly slower than the other tires to cover the same amount of ground. That is a problem when you're in 4WD, applying constant binding pressure on the 4WD drivetrain.

Bottom line is it's not worth saving your spare for the next tire lifespan. Rotate it in, wear them all evenly, and extend your tire set's lifespan by giving each them a break as your spare 20% of the time.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
You're missing a few key points.

The spare tire sees a lot more direct sunlight than the other tires and always has the same half of the tire facing the sun. That half of the tire is getting worn even though it still has all of its tread. It will not have the same serviceable life as a new tire and will be more prone to failure. A 5 tire rotation spreads out this UV wear across all tires instead of concentrating it on one half of a single tire, making it a non-issue.

As tires wear, their circumference reduces. If you need to use the spare tire, you can have a tire that is slightly larger than all your other tires which needs to spin slightly slower than the other tires to cover the same amount of ground. That is a problem when you're in 4WD, applying constant binding pressure on the 4WD drivetrain.

Bottom line is it's not worth saving your spare for the next tire lifespan. Rotate it in, wear them all evenly, and extend your tire set's lifespan by giving each them a break as your spare 20% of the time.
I only used the spare tire as an example. I should have been clearer.