Sponsored

Who Rotates 5 Tires?

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
When it’s time for a tire rotation, do you rotate 4 or 5? And Why?
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

5 if I remember to ask. Have not got there yet with this one though.

Why I don't really know mainly I suppose because I will replace 5 when I get new tires whenever.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I forgot the first time and did 4, so then my OCD wouldnt let me do 5 from then on. I thought I wouldnt care cuz Id only have to buy 3 new tires next time around. But now I want to go bigger, so my unused spare is useless as stated above. At least it keeps my distressed American flag tire cover in place. :flag:
I will be doing 5 when I get my new tires and wheels.

Sponsored

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
5 tire, my last set were 37's and got 40K+ before selling them and changing to 35's. I just bought a Ford van/RV and the high dollar 9 yr old Michelin spare was never utilized. I wanted a + 1 size and the spare is useless and junk.

Last edited:

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Always do a 5 tire rotation.
  1. Tires last a little longer with the spare rotated in. There's always 1 tire not being worn.
  2. The spare has even treadwear with the other tires. If you need to use it, it's not an oddball sized tire that could impact 4WD.
  3. If you get new tires there's a good chance you'll get different tires and will need to get 5 to match. Why keep a pristine spare then? Use it.
  4. (Most importantly IMO) A 4 tire rotation requires a lift or jack stands as 2 tires need to be removed at the same time. A 5 tire rotation can be done by only jacking one wheel at a time.
    1. Start by removing the spare.
    2. Start changing tires one at a time. Go up the passenger side then driver.
      1. Spare to Passenger Rear
      2. Passenger Rear to Passenger Front
      3. Passenger Front to Driver Rear
      4. Driver Rear to Driver Front
    3. The Driver Front tire becomes the spare.
A 5 tire rotation is not only better, it's easier to do if you don't have a lift.

OP
OP
Buster1

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Always do a 5 tire rotation.
  1. Tires last a little longer with the spare rotated in. There's always 1 tire not being worn.
  2. The spare has even treadwear with the other tires. If you need to use it, it's not an oddball sized tire that could impact 4WD.
  3. If you get new tires there's a good chance you'll get different tires and will need to get 5 to match. Why keep a pristine spare then? Use it.
  4. (Most importantly IMO) A 4 tire rotation requires a lift or jack stands as 2 tires need to be removed at the same time. A 5 tire rotation can be done by only jacking one wheel at a time.
    1. Start by removing the spare.
    2. Start changing tires one at a time. Go up the passenger side then driver.
      1. Spare to Passenger Rear
      2. Passenger Rear to Passenger Front
      3. Passenger Front to Driver Rear
      4. Driver Rear to Driver Front
    3. The Driver Front tire becomes the spare.
A 5 tire rotation is not only better, it's easier to do if you don't have a lift.
Are you an OCD engineer like me? Love this!

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
5. tires are way too expensive to have it sit there and get old and dry rotted.
Sponsored