Who plans to own it for the long haul?

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
She's a keeper. Once she is paid off I will get a cheap daily commuter (10 miles a day to and from work). She will be our adventure ride for the wife and I from on.

Gravy
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I keep my vehicles for 5 years/60,000 miles. Repairs are typically minimal and resale remains decent. I like technology improvements…there is a huge difference between the 2015 Rubicon I previously owned compared to my 2020 Recon. I suspect the same will happen by 2025…. My Wrangler is a daily driver and I like it’s off road capabilities, but I also enjoy its creature comforts. I candidly don’t think the technology in the JL will remain very reliable as it ages…perhaps I am too pessimistic.

Dick

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
Long time for me, held on to my old YJ for 10years, then went Chevy for 11, back to JLR for at least another 10………the Chevy was a great truck, but missed the YJ.

gnome

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.... 1994 base YJ .......... 2006 Dakota ..... ..... 2020 Sahara 3.0D
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
Long time for me, held on to my old YJ for 10years, then went Chevy for 11, back to JLR for at least another 10………the Chevy was a great truck, but missed the YJ.
...'gotta love a YJ...it's hip to be square...

...I have had a jeep and/or a dodge since 1985...
...I still have a base 1994 YJ.... have totally wore out a 1999 grand cherokee , and replaced it with a 2020 diesel sahara.... It would be nice if this new diesel lasts as long as the YJ.... I think the grand cherokee wore out prematurely at only 20 years old...

joelskirsch

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Long time for me. Hoping to provide great memories for my kids and to maintain it in such a way that one of my kids might want it when they turn 16 (they're 2 and 4 now) and I can buy something that will truly reflect my assumed mid-life crisis.

Sponsored

jeninchicago

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited
This will be a "long hauler". We had a Durango that we kept for 16 years before getting a new one 5 years ago. To us, that's still "new". My car (Volvo s40) that we are trading in/replacing with the Wrangler is 17 years old. We keep our cars for a long time.

That being said, we don't put many miles on our cars. My Volvo has 93k and our 5 year old Durango only has 40k.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Since I work on lots of different cars, this is what I see in the real world. Most people get 10 years or 150K out of a car. Then it becomes too expensive to fix as everything is failing and thus, they unload it. I think most of it has to do with state inspections. When something comes in with worn out ball joints, sway bar links and shocks/struts etc... they tend to get rid of it. Also, things like coolant issues tend to make it happen too. Then some cars like a Chevy Cruze, will just blow out every coolant system part within 5 years, so I feel bad for those people. Maybe the Cobalt people with fuel lines that rust out, thus it squirts out fuel all over the ground. Might as well mention Nissan CVT transmissions that are good for about 100K. Then high end German car that sprouts oil leaks all over the place and it'll be a 50hr job to fix them.

As you can see I am rambling on but with Jeeps, if you can get 10 years out of them in the rust belt, you are doing great. From my experience, if you are looking for the long haul, get a Civic, Corolla, Rav4 or CRV. Those things take a beating but keep on ticking. I don;t own any of those but if I wanted something for 20 years, that's what I'd get. I can tell you that Jeeps have really bad wiring harnesses. They do not age well compared to other manufacturers.

I did just change out the original spark plugs on a 2012 Jeep. It had 152K on the clock and it developed a misfire code which means, it would not pass emissions. On the other hand, the owner ruined two oil filter housings (which I had to change).

Wonder

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR (aka Juno) - Hydro Blue
I keep my vehicles for 5 years/60,000 miles. Repairs are typically minimal and resale remains decent. I like technology improvements…there is a huge difference between the 2015 Rubicon I previously owned compared to my 2020 Recon. I suspect the same will happen by 2025…. My Wrangler is a daily driver and I like it’s off road capabilities, but I also enjoy its creature comforts. I candidly don’t think the technology in the JL will remain very reliable as it ages…perhaps I am too pessimistic.
That's a very fair point. Technology updates/upgrades will differ vastly now that they're no longer "analog" vehicles.

SilverEagle

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Even though I normally don’t keep vehicles as long as most of you chiming in, I have never owned a Jeep, so maybe things will change?
Go for it! IMHO…Best vehicle purchase you will ever make.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Doubling down on my “I will never sell” statement.

After seeing all the EV and Meta commercials during the Super Bowl , I am more convinced than ever that Wall-E is one of the most prophetic movies ever made.

Soon the majority will be eating spicy Doritos in their self-driving EVs while immersed in the Metaverse.

My 2dr, manual, naturally aspirated vehicle with no eTorque becomes more rare every year. I love it!

Sponsored

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
I always keep my vehicles for a long time, several years. This 392 XR Wrangler I have will be a collectors item someday, especially since they just pulled the XR package from the 392 option list. My 392 is fun to drive and I plan to keep it in good shape. I’m just nervous about other drivers on the road hitting me LOL. Like breaking in any new car, it’s the honeymoon period and I always keep my distance from other drivers to protect my shiny new baby but this 392 XR is a very special and unique one indeed. Not many on the road. I love it. After I die I need a plan to take it with me. This will be me driving my Jeep a thousand years from now:

Jeep Wrangler JL Who plans to own it for the long haul? 1645378909886

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Yep. Plan is to keep for the long haul. Especially after all the warranty repairs completed. Paint is new and a bunch of parts are now replaced under warranty. JL is better today than it was off the factory floor!

Almost zero rust because CRC was sprayed to the underbody. Have a spare set of KO2s and wheels for winter use. Batteries are smart charged 24/7 keeping them fresh year round.

JL drives straight as an arrow with fingertip control. Has zero death wobble. Zero wander. Does everything we need and goes everywhere we need. With ease. So even with its many inherent JL flaws - is very difficult to unload at this point.

Actually cannot visualize a better suited off-road beast. Thing is amazing locked. But who knows what the future holds… Oh the e-brake just seized and cable let go. Typical. Haha!

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
My wife and I have historically kept our vehicles well past when they were paid for. (~10 years give or take a couple years). I had a Mazda with over 283,000 miles on it before we got rid of it. I fully expect to keep my Jeep for the long haul. Having said that, this one got fully paid for quite early. So if there ends up being some significant changes/upgrades that I really like in near future models, I might consider using that equity if the price is right and trade it in on a new one sooner rather than later.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I normally only keep my vehicles 2-3 years. I get the "itch" to have something new every other year. I do say with all the vehicles I have owned in my life (between 25-30), this has been the one I enjoy the most. My daughter is currently stationed in Guam. She gets back to the U.S. in 2023 and she said she would like to buy it then because she knows her dad takes really good care of his vehicles and she LOVES jeeps. So I will keep it until that time and give/sell it to her.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
So I will keep it until that time and give/sell it to her.
Sell it to her ... that's a good one ... she's going to walk through the door, throw her duffel on the floor, give you a big hug and a kiss, and you're just going to hand her the keys ... LOL
... ask me how I know ... ROFLMFAO ... and my daughter isn't even in the service !!!
Sponsored