Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Nice setup! I usually just know when I want the rear/sides off before I leave, but that looks good.
Even though the soft top windows will not do much for a thief (unless they sell them) I figured the cost of the Slipstream enclosure was about the same or less than new set of windows. We also have a Infinity Convertible and have had stuff take when the top was down like say in a store for a few minutes. Nothing is safe these days and we live in one of the lowest crime areas in Western Washington. In Seattle stuff in your hard top is not even safe especially since the Police Dept has acknowledged that they have no interest in dealing with property crimes which I believe many large and small cities are now ignoring as well.

so it is true WALLS do work, mine are just metal in the back of my wrangler...

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Yes all the windows fit inside however you have to remove the rear window from the lower tailgate bar and then the window needs to be folded then you need to put something at the roll of the window so it does not compress and crease the window

Window%203-5_zpsvu9jh73x.jpg

Then it all fits like this (this is NOT a Mopar bag as the Mopar bag will NOT fit (actually it will but will have to bend at the sides of the cargo floor, it is not designed to be laid down in the cargo area it is designed to stand behind the rear seats)

Here is the Amazon bag with rear folded inside
slip%2011_zps4jkcbep6.jpg
I keep seeing people say the MOPAR bag doesn’t fit and that you have to fold the sides. To be clear, the part you’re folding is the black sailcloth and not the vinyl. It’s a fantastic bag, IMO. The Amazon bag takes up your whole trunk and wouldn’t fit in a 2door, and also requires folding the rear window in half.

Not criticizing your choice of bag at all, I just want people to know the MOPAR bag is a solid choice, too.

Details with pictures: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-soft-top-window-bag-review.13235/

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I keep seeing people say the MOPAR bag doesn’t fit and that you have to fold the sides. To be clear, the part you’re folding is the black sailcloth and not the vinyl. It’s a fantastic bag, IMO. The Amazon bag takes up your whole trunk and wouldn’t fit in a 2door, and also requires folding the rear window in half.

Not criticizing your choice of bag at all, I just want people to know the MOPAR bag is a solid choice, too.

Details with pictures: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-soft-top-window-bag-review.13235/

This may be a Ford/Chevy thing to each his own, my personal issues with the Mopar bag is it is $170 for a $50 bag #2 it is designed to stand up behind the seats and is not securable (it too does not fit in the cargo area floor of the 2dr at least without folding the windows). However there is a major flaw in standing your windows up in any Black bag in warm temps, the sun heats up the vinyl and it loses it regidity and there are report of permanently damaged window Vinyl (including reported here on this forum) when the vinyl collapses it can then crease the vinyl. Having learned from owning boats with canvas/windows you either roll them or lay them flat to prevent damage and to make them last and if you do stand them roll them first so they are rigid. That Mopar bag has got to be one of the highest profit items they sell... Before someone mentions it , it (mopar bag) is on sale for the Holidays for $140...

Maybe the Mopar bag is better for the 2dr IDK since I only have the 4dr

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
This may be a Ford/Chevy thing to each his own, my personal issues with the Mopar bag is it is $170 for a $50 bag #2 it is designed to stand up behind the seats and is not securable (it too does not fit in the cargo area floor of the 2dr at least without folding the windows). However there is a major flaw in standing your windows up in any Black bag in warm temps, the sun heats up the vinyl and it loses it regidity and there are report of permanently damaged window Vinyl (including reported here on this forum) when the vinyl collapses it can then crease the vinyl. Having learned from owning boats with canvas/windows you either roll them or lay them flat to prevent damage and to make them last and if you do stand them roll them first so they are rigid. That Mopar bag has got to be one of the highest profit items they sell... Before someone mentions it , it (mopar bag) is on sale for the Holidays for $140...

Maybe the Mopar bag is better for the 2dr IDK since I only have the 4dr
It has straps to secure to the back seat. With top down it’s also sandwiched between top and seat. The hard plastic pillars of the side windows (which help form the “curl” you mentioned) keep things rigid. It kept my windows flawless for days at a time in summer sun and heat. Have you ever seen one in person with the windows in it?

I guess we’ll agree to disagree. At least this exchange might help others decide one way or the other. In a 2dr with back seat in place “lay flat” is not an option. Even if it was an option, then I’d have no room to put my cooler of beer. :beer:

Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey All,

Our Trektop Family Window Bag fits the JL soft top windows. https://www.bestop.com/products/trektop-nx-family-window-storage-bag/

This bag includes inserts to completely separate the windows. as well as hold them in place, and then allows you to lay the windows flat.

No matter which way you go, creating your own or buying one, ALWAYS make sure the windows are never laying directly on top of each-other. The windows can stick or bond together and when pulled apart they can be ruined.

Something as simple as a sheet, towel or pillow case will work.

CassieAtBestop

Yes all the windows fit inside however you have to remove the rear window from the lower tailgate bar and then the window needs to be folded then you need to put something at the roll of the window so it does not compress and crease the window

Window%203-5_zpsvu9jh73x.jpg

Then it all fits like this (this is NOT a Mopar bag as the Mopar bag will NOT fit (actually it will but will have to bend at the sides of the cargo floor, it is not designed to be laid down in the cargo area it is designed to stand behind the rear seats)

Here is the Amazon bag with rear folded inside
slip%2011_zps4jkcbep6.jpg

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hey All,

Our Trektop Family Window Bag fits the JL soft top windows. https://www.bestop.com/products/trektop-nx-family-window-storage-bag/

This bag includes inserts to completely separate the windows. as well as hold them in place, and then allows you to lay the windows flat.

No matter which way you go, creating your own or buying one, ALWAYS make sure the windows are never laying directly on top of each-other. The windows can stick or bond together and when pulled apart they can be ruined.

CassieAtBestop
Great point Cassie. I learned this the hard way. Luckily no major damage done. I just got some harbor freight blankets I use to keep them separated.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Love my PST. The only thing I would like to see is a glass rear window so it could be more easily cleaned in winter since it is always skanky.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hey All,

CassieAtBestop
That is basically the SAME construction of the $50 bag from Amazon whereas the Bestop bag is $120.

I assume the Trek Top Bag also requires the rear window to be folded?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I guess we’ll agree to disagree. At least this exchange might help others decide one way or the other. In a 2dr with back seat in place “lay flat” is not an option. Even if it was an option, then I’d have no room to put my cooler of beer. :beer:
Agreed... Thanks for the dialogue

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Even though the soft top windows will not do much for a thief (unless they sell them) I figured the cost of the Slipstream enclosure was about the same or less than new set of windows. We also have a Infinity Convertible and have had stuff take when the top was down like say in a store for a few minutes. Nothing is safe these days and we live in one of the lowest crime areas in Western Washington. In Seattle stuff in your hard top is not even safe especially since the Police Dept has acknowledged that they have no interest in dealing with property crimes which I believe many large and small cities are now ignoring as well.

so it is true WALLS do work, mine are just metal in the back of my wrangler...
I like the look too and seems like it would be good for general storage as well. It's on my wishlist behind some other stuff.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
No, the rear window lays flat with just the edge barely folding over. The windows also held in place in our bag, so you can hang it off your rear seat or in the garage if you wish.

CassieAtBestop

That is basically the SAME construction of the $50 bag from Amazon whereas the Bestop bag is $120.

I assume the Trek Top Bag also requires the rear window to be folded?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
No, the rear window lays flat with just the edge barely folding over. The windows also held in place in our bag, so you can hang it off your rear seat or in the garage if you wish.

CassieAtBestop
Like I said similar bag however 2.5 times the cost. The $50 Amazon bag is similar (it also has pockets for each individual window, you can fold in half like I did or fold/bend the ends like you described, it will also hang from the head rest. No mater how you slice it you have to bend or fold the rear window for it to fit in the cargo area. Again from what I have been reading you should not be standing your bag/windows up when it is warm/hot out as there are reports at least in the Mopar Bag that the windows soften and then bunch up in the bags causing permanent creasing/damage.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
I can't speak to the Mopar bag, but our bag is designed to hang or lay flat without any damage to the windows, no mater if it is warm or cold.

It's a Jeep, you have many options on what products to use, just make sure your windows are never laying directly on top of each other other.

Hope you find the one that works best for you.

CassieAtBestop

Like I said similar bag however 2.5 times the cost. The $50 Amazon bag is similar (it also has pockets for each individual window, you can fold in half like I did or fold/bend the ends like you described, it will also hang from the head rest. No mater how you slice it you have to bend or fold the rear window for it to fit in the cargo area. Again from what I have been reading you should not be standing your bag/windows up when it is warm/hot out as there are reports at least in the Mopar Bag that the windows soften and then bunch up in the bags causing permanent creasing/damage.

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
Good info in this thread. Question. Keep in mind I'm totally new to soft tops.

Do I have to worry about the side or rear windows flying off at highway speeds if I am in the sunrider position and/or without doors? seems like a lot of wind would be coming through and putting pressure on those windows. I noticed earlier in this thread someone noted the problem, but it wasn't really explained or expounded on. If I can't ride in the sunrider position with the windows installed at 70 to 80 MPH it will be a bummer

I sometimes (on accident of course) exceed the speed limit.
Sponsored