Who loves their soft top?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Love mine. Only complaint is lack of flexibility to take the rear windows out when i'm on the go. Nowhere to really put them and they dont roll up. I guess i may have to look into the mopar storage bag? Otherwise love it. the ease of going into the sunrider position is amazing and safari mode is awesome too.

Here is my solution for the windows I wrote a DIY thread on this

My JLU Sahara came with no soft top just the hard-top, so I found a member here on the forum with a Soft Top for sale and just purchased it. Now I am in Washington and will not even install the soft top until next April/May. Storing the top and frame itself is easy on the wall of the Garage, however the windows are a bigger challenge. In many of the popular Jeep part sites/stores they only obvious option was the Mopar window bag at $170 which is way overpriced for a canvas bag and even then with the windows stored in it it is too big to fit in the back of the Jeep.

After looking at other options like various JK bags I found this on on Amazon for $49, I figured what the hell I will give it a try.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OMRK4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61Vj3NmaKEL._SL1500_.jpg

The bag arrived and I was impressed with the quality and the size assuming the windows fit, actually fits like a glove in the cargo area of the JLU.

Below are pictures of the windows in the bag:

1st Side window
Windows%201_zps7gvsdqvo.jpg

Second side window
windows%202_zpsvazz9lzz.jpg

For the back window I removed the bottom bar and then Used a light weight packing blanket rolled up with a couple straps, and since the window was too long I used the rolled up blanket for support so I could fold the back window without it creasing.

Windows%204_zpsqoua7unq.jpg

Window%203-5_zpsvu9jh73x.jpg

Here it is all windows stored in the bag, as you can see it fits perfectly in the cargo area or can be hung or stood up

Windows%205_zpsajeua1zl.jpg

Windows%206_zpsuxsy8ej8.jpg

There is even room left over for other items like a Bikini top or ???

I have since purchased the Diabolical Slipstream security enclosure that the window bag fits into perfectly. This allows me to lock the windows and and anything else that fits, this is a large lockable storage enclosure.
https://shop.diabolicalinc.com/collections/all/products/slipstream-jl-coming-soon

IMG_2464_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_0072_1024x1024.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jtimbrook

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Love my soft top! I wound up getting the premium and so far is living up to being the best designed st to date especially when you compare it to the TJ and JK soft tops. I can take it down and put it put it up in just a few minutes without screaming at it or lubing it up every time I use it which is a huge bonus.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
@lightsout, that looks like it would work better than the mopar bag for putting the top down on the go. I may have to try that. Honestly thats my only problem with the soft top. My friend with a TJ laughs because he can just roll his windows up in place and use velcro to keep it up. I have to fully remove mine and with the bar attached at the bottom it doesnt fit in the back. Where do you put the bar from the back window when you are on the go?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@lightsout, that looks like it would work better than the mopar bag for putting the top down on the go. I may have to try that. Honestly thats my only problem with the soft top. My friend with a TJ laughs because he can just roll his windows up in place and use velcro to keep it up. I have to fully remove mine and with the bar attached at the bottom it doesnt fit in the back. Where do you put the bar from the back window when you are on the go?
The plastic bar just lays in the bed (cargo area or it will also fit at the floor behind or under the rear seats.

Mopar bag sucks (not to mention is is way over priced) as it has to stand up and the ends are bent 90 degrees. Also note you could cut a swim noodle instead of using a blanket for the bend of the back window (that is what I will do once they are in stock as the local stores or this spring)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The reviews on the quadratec website arent the greatest. Looks like something that is good for storage at home, but not necessarily on the go. I imagined driving to work and coming out to beautiful weather and on a whim on my way to wherever putting the top down. Not sure that bag is the best for that. Know of anyone with first hand experience using it like that? I'd love to buy one but I need to make sure it will work as expected first.
I wrote that review, so lots of first hand experience. :) It stows behind the backseat of my 2dr without much hassle, and I’m sure it’s even easier in an unlimited. I’m very happy with it.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The plastic bar just lays in the bed (cargo area or it will also fit at the floor behind or under the rear seats.

Mopar bag sucks (not to mention is is way over priced) as it has to stand up and the ends are bent 90 degrees. Also note you could cut a swim noodle instead of using a blanket for the bend of the back window (that is what I will do once they are in stock as the local stores or this spring)
I just leave the plastic bar snapped in where it goes when there’s a window attached to it. No need to take up cargo area.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Great question! I haven't heard of anything in our meetings but let me check on that for you!

CassieAtBestop

@BestopTeam any chance you are going to be offering replacement windows anytime soon? The road grime from the winter has really torched my windows

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Jondrew

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Very interested in your opinion on the diabolical security enclosure. Kinda pricy, and I wonder how
Much of a PIA it is in everyday use? Can it be easily removed when not needed?

Thnx

I have since purchased the Diabolical Slipstream security enclosure that the window bag fits into perfectly. This allows me to lock the windows and and anything else that fits, this is a large lockable storage enclosure.
https://shop.diabolicalinc.com/collections/all/products/slipstream-jl-coming-soon

IMG_2464_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_0072_1024x1024.jpg

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I've pretty much always had hard tops on previous jeeps. I decided that I wanted a soft top this time, but was a bit worried. I remember the soft top on the TJ would balloon and flap, super loud.

I went with the standard soft top, as I do not like the look of the "premium" top.

I was pleasantly surprised. I would say there is no more noise than my JK with the hard top. It may actually be a bit quieter. I was worried about ballooning and flapping. It is a non-issue. Being in Illinois, I figured it would be cold in the jeep with the soft top. Once again, I notice no difference between the soft top and hard top.

Overall, I am very happy with my choice.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
We don't make them currently, and it is unknown if we will in the future. I will keep you updated.

CassieAtBestop

@BestopTeam any chance you are going to be offering replacement windows anytime soon? The road grime from the winter has really torched my windows

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Very interested in your opinion on the diabolical security enclosure. Kinda pricy, and I wonder how
Much of a PIA it is in everyday use? Can it be easily removed when not needed?

Thnx
I just received it and installed it so just a short time with it so far however it is a well designed product. I looked at every security option and this was the only one that made sense and actually looks good. It is also extremely functional. It is also designed if you want to remove it all the large panels can be removed in 1-2 minutes providing pretty much full access to the entire cargo area. It is basically like having a hard tonneau cover on a truch bed however it has better access.

It cost $699 I got it on a sale for $649 and considering that this will give me the peace of mind that anything I put in it is not likely to walk off I see it as a great value. I looked at the Tuffy system however it looks like a box on the cargo floor and you loose some storage on the sides unless you want to cram things down there and not be secure. The Slipstream allows for secure storage for the entire cargo area and the top/lid also acts as a shelf so it can provide additional unsecure cargo storage on top.

Here is a video that shows it in action

I have Dual tops so I installed and put my Hard-Top back on for now until better weather arrives. It works with either top however not really needed with a hard-top. Personally I think this is a must have item for any soft-top especially as a daily driver. Cars have trunks for a reason...

Last edited:

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
We don't make them currently, and it is unknown if we will in the future. I will keep you updated.

CassieAtBestop
Are you saying you don't make the windows at all or that you do not make a standalone set of replacement windows?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

CassieAtBestop

This is pathetic and frankly bad business by holding the soft top Jeep community hostage like this, so basically if you want new windows you have to buy a whole new top. REALLY, how hard would it be to offer replacement windows it is not like anything has to be re-designed or there is no production capabilities. This is tragic as these windows have a predictable short life, this can also be a safety issue if the windows become all scratched up.

My feeling is companies that force you to buy complete systems when you only need a small part, those companies should be avoided, unfortunately you have limited choice regarding the OEM top. Bestop shame on you.

Question for Bestop is there anything proprietary stopping any other company from making replacement aftermarket windows for your tops?
Sponsored