Sponsored

Who is running a 37" on the stock tire carrier?

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
So not trying to start a debate on whether or not the tailgate needs reinforcement. My question is for anyone running a 37 on the stock carrier in stock location with a Rubicon with the plastic bumper how does it fit. I will be running a 37" Patagonia on Icon Rebound with 4.5 BS. Any pictures would be appreciated.
Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Curious to see as well....... looks like i will be trying that out shortly..... @XTREME RIG backed out of his deal..... then blocked me will let you know.....

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I am. 37" KM3's. The tire rubs up against the bumper when the tailgate is closed which is perfect because it holds the tire steady.

OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am. 37" KM3's. The tire rubs up against the bumper when the tailgate is closed which is perfect because it holds the tire steady.
Thx. Would you happen to have a picture? Also want wheels are you running. Thx

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I ran a 37" spare on my stock JK carrier for almost 4 years with no issues. I'm pretty sure I used a kit with a bracket to raise the tire and brake light. I think the need for reinforcement depends on your usage - mall crawler with minor trails is probably fine, but serious off roading with lots of bumps and jarring might damage the tailgate.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So not trying to start a debate on whether or not the tailgate needs reinforcement. My question is for anyone running a 37 on the stock carrier in stock location with a Rubicon with the plastic bumper how does it fit. I will be running a 37" Patagonia on Icon Rebound with 4.5 BS. Any pictures would be appreciated.
The big concern with that is twofold.

First off, the wheel and tire will be cantilevered out further away from the tailgate and the rubber bumpers. Cantilevering amplifies a given weights affect, which will be further increased without the support of those rubbers.

Secondly, you really don't want the tire resting on the bumper. The bumper is mounted to the frame, whereas the body is on rubber mounts allowing it to move. That means, any movement of the body will also create nudging forces on the spare from the bumper.

I don't yet have a full hinged tailgate reinforcement, but I do have my 38x13.50 Milestar Pat on 17x9x4.53" backspace spare on a Teraflex Alpha hd carrier. It allowed both the raising of the spare and inward adjustment to take advantage of the tailgate bumpers for support.

Just my 2 cents and some food for thought.

OP
OP
AlexJeepVB

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The big concern with that is twofold.

First off, the wheel and tire will be cantilevered out further away from the tailgate and the rubber bumpers. Cantilevering amplifies a given weights affect, which will be further increased without the support of those rubbers.

Secondly, you really don't want the tire resting on the bumper. The bumper is mounted to the frame, whereas the body is on rubber mounts allowing it to move. That means, any movement of the body will also create nudging forces on the spare from the bumper.

I don't yet have a full hinged tailgate reinforcement, but I do have my 38x13.50 Milestar Pat on 17x9x4.53" backspace spare on a Teraflex Alpha hd carrier. It allowed both the raising of the spare and inward adjustment to take advantage of the tailgate bumpers for support.

Just my 2 cents and some food for thought.
Thanks for the advise. My question for this post was more just wondering if with the Icon wheels and 37 Pats would it clear the rear bumper on stock carrier. My plan at this point was to mount it if it clears the bumper and make sure to extend bumpstops and see how it feels. More than likely going with some brand of reinforcement at some point but would rather not purchase a riser plate if its not needed. Also with the Icons and 37 Pats should be coming in at under 100 pounds I believe they should be on the lighter side so hopefully that will help as well.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advise. My question for this post was more just wondering if with the Icon wheels and 37 Pats would it clear the rear bumper on stock carrier. My plan at this point was to mount it if it clears the bumper and make sure to extend bumpstops and see how it feels. More than likely going with some brand of reinforcement at some point but would rather not purchase a riser plate if its not needed. Also with the Icons and 37 Pats should be coming in at under 100 pounds I believe they should be on the lighter side so hopefully that will help as well.
With my previously mentioned setup on the highest setting, the spare sits about a 1/4" off the steel bumper. Not sure what, if any, dimensional differences there are between the factory steel and plastic Rubi bumpers.

Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Here you go. I'm running the stock rims (I have a JLUR). The upside down hitch is to protect the tire when dropping off ledges.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who is running a 37" on the stock tire carrier? 20200821_105224

Jeep Wrangler JL Who is running a 37" on the stock tire carrier? 20200821_105224
and you need that with all of the steps they out where you live.... and nice set up ..... like the colors...:rock:

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes I do! :like: And Thanks!
Sponsored