Sponsored

Who is running 38x13.50r17? Offset question?

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
On Rubicon axles, I am going to run 17 x 8.5 wheels 0 mm offset, which is 4.75 backspacing. 3.5 inch lift. I was planning on 37’s, I have already ordered them however I’m wondering if I should run 38’s instead as the price difference is only $20 per tire. I know I can run the 37‘s as they are only 12.5 inches wide and the 0mm offset will ensure don’t rub. Has anyone run 38’s on an 8.5 wide wheel with the same offset and not rubbed or wheels with 4.75” backspacing?
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
On Rubicon axles, I am going to run 17 x 8.5 wheels 0 mm offset, which is 4.75 backspacing. 3.5 inch lift. I was planning on 37’s, I have already ordered them however I’m wondering if I should run 38’s instead as the price difference is only $20 per tire. I know I can run the 37‘s as they are only 12.5 inches wide and the 0mm offset will ensure don’t rub. Has anyone run 38’s on an 8.5 wide wheel with the same offset and not rubbed or wheels with 4.75” backspacing?
Contact your lift MFG.

They will have recommendations on max tire size to prevent any rubbing on the front bumper and control arms.

4LOWYO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 TJ Sport
I run the 38" Milestars, and my wheels have a 5" BS. The only rubbing I get is at full articulation. I ran 37" Milestars with 4.75" BS wheels previously, and they do tuck better. However, there is a lot of different variables that change how the tires actually fit different Jeeps. I ended up changing the rear inner fender liners, and trimming the rear bottom corner of the tub to keep the body from cutting the tire.

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I run the 38" Milestars, and my wheels have a 5" BS. The only rubbing I get is at full articulation. I ran 37" Milestars with 4.75" BS wheels previously, and they do tuck better. However, there is a lot of different variables that change how the tires actually fit different Jeeps. I ended up changing the rear inner fender liners, and trimming the rear bottom corner of the tub to keep the body from cutting the tire.
37" milestars is what I ordered and if I go 38" they will be milestar also. I figured some trimming would be necessary on the 38's, I just don't want a different wheel. I will probably just stick with the original plan of 37's. But part of me is why not go the extra inch. Did you end up going with a wider wheel with the 38's?

4LOWYO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same width wheel, just the slight difference in offset.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Same width wheel, just the slight difference in offset.
One other question, how bad are you rubbing at full articulation? Minor, major, etc.?

Where you are 5" BS and I would be 4.75" BS I am now leaning heavily to changing my order to the 38's. The Jeep is getting re-geared to 4.88's next week. And I will most likely chop my fenders for even more clearance.

4LOWYO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All minor now. The rear tried to rip the factory inner fender liner off, so I cut a bunch of that out on the trail one day. With the rear inner liners replaced (I used Metalcloak) and the rear corner trimmed, the rear will occasionally make contact with the flare while at full bump. Just enough you can hear the outer lug. The front will make rubbing noise at full bump and turned. I think it is on the front inner fender liners maybe the lower edge of the grille, but I never really bothered to look mainly because it doesn't seem to be damaging anything. I do have a Rubicon so the fenders are a bit higher, and I also haven't attempted to add bump stop to limit the rubbing because I'd rather have the travel.
Sponsored