First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 XJ, 08 Avalanche, 76 CB550F
Occupation
Jeep Product Trainer
Absolutely love my JLUR! I will only get rid of it upon the return of Gobi to the Jeep color wheel. Only then trade and it will be for another JLUR! The color combo is the only thing I miss about my JK RECON. My JL was very early production. It was the first one to roll off the truck at the dealership I work at. T

The only issue Ive had is I snapped the lever that lowers the back seats. Factory defect and was fixed at no charge. So if any one else has had that issue. You are not as buff as you think you are ;) It takes about an hour for your dealer to reroute the lever cable to ease up the tension.

Besides that she runs and drives like a dream! Even the ride with 35" Mickey Thompsons is amazing compared to any of my older jeeps.

When its time to get dirty or nostalgic or really get dirty I'll jump in the old XJ and send it without fear or regret!
As far as the JLUR goes, I intend on paying it down a big before doing anything too crazy.

Interesting to see how different folks react to these issues. Its not like the firestone ford exploder recall in the late 90's that came with a huge death toll when ford and firestone couldn't replace tires fast enough.

Every vehicle is going to have issues, there are to many computers and electronics involved for them to operate perfect on an off-road vehicle. If 15000 componets or steps to make up a vehicle and your vehicle was 99.8% reliable youd be a happy customer. Hurray but at 99.8% there are still 30 potentially defective issues.

Win some, ya lose some. Just glad I didn't and still don't drive an Explorer :)
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Is there a thread on here somewhere with exact locations to check for bad Welds?

WranglerUnlimited2018

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlur
Me and My Gfs Jlu was purchased brand new and has had the Steering issues since new. We have had the dealer do 2 alignments and a private buisness do another 2 alignments and the problem has yet to be fixed.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I have to ask all those that are comfortable with their Jeeps, after seeing pictures of welds that never even hit the right spot, what makes you so sure that all the welds you can't see are good to go?
At least I can see the welds, in most cars I cannot see anything at all.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I will get a refund if it comes to that but it is not as easy as people think and it was merely a service advisor who stated it was a lemon and he does not make any decisions on getting me a new one or a refund! It has gone way higher than that and it has to be at dealership for a certain amount of time before arbitration can even begin. It is complicated! I am not letting anyone there off any hooks but like I said there are guidelines for replacements or refunds.
Check with the Mississippi attorney general for assistance , if they are not watching an Ol Miss football game .

Sponsored

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Is there a thread on here somewhere with exact locations to check for bad Welds?
Just where they join two pieces of steel...

Sorry, in a real smart ass mood today... Just take a look under and around for different welds. From what I can tell in the older threads you'll see some bad welds or you wont, not necessarily a "all the bad welds are in "X" location.

OSIN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Punk'n - 2006 LJ Rubicon
Not getting rid of Punk'n Rub anytime soon. 7K miles no issues (other than that damn fan). I've purchased other 1st issue vehicles, a few items comes with the territory, NBD, That's what warranty is for.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Just where they join two pieces of steel...

Sorry, in a real smart ass mood today... Just take a look under and around for different welds. From what I can tell in the older threads you'll see some bad welds or you wont, not necessarily a "all the bad welds are in "X" location.
Yes I know what welding is. I have 2 welders and know how to weld. I just thought maybe the Robotics that weld these frames were messing up on certain parts. One common one seems to be the trackbar mounting bracket. But now I see from other threads they the shotty welds are actually just randomly everywhere.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Yes I know what welding is. I have 2 welders and know how to weld. I just thought maybe the Robotics that weld these frames were messing up on certain parts. One common one seems to be the trackbar mounting bracket. But now I see from other threads they the shotty welds are actually just randomly everywhere.
Yea, just being a smart ass. Wasnt trying to mess with your knowledge. BUT, yes, they seem to be located everywhere when they exist.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
They don’t just offer you a new one and this was the service advisor who made that comment! It has to follow certain guidelines before you can get a replacement, I wish it were easy but it is not! All I can do is wait and see if they can fix right now which I have no faith in them but we will see!
*hugsss* okay

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I will get a refund if it comes to that but it is not as easy as people think and it was merely a service advisor who stated it was a lemon and he does not make any decisions on getting me a new one or a refund! It has gone way higher than that and it has to be at dealership for a certain amount of time before arbitration can even begin. It is complicated! I am not letting anyone there off any hooks but like I said there are guidelines for replacements or refunds.
Call the Mississippi attorney general for assistance , if they are not eating hotdogs and playing poker .

Wayno

First Name
Wayno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Just an informal survey. Who has already or is planning on getting rid of their new JL or cancelling their order because of all the quality issues? There are quite a few on Autotrader already, mostly with a few hundered to a few thousand miles. I got rid of my JLUS at 2000 miles, mostly because of the steering and the welds and no resolution in site.

Homer

First Name
Geral Hasten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK, 2017 Chevy ZR2 diesel
I've put off my purchase - I was ready to order in July but held off. Partially because of weld and steering issues, and partly because of dealers' poor responses.

I'll wait a year or two, unless I find something I like better in the meantime.
I ordered mine in November of 2017 picked up my JLU loaded Rubicon in February, It has 12000 miles on it now. I towed our travel trailer R pod 180 3000 miles and wheeled it over 900 miles around Ouray co for the month of July,
it has been trouble free. Sorry guys it is a great Jeep we love it, but I plan to trade it for a JT diesel as soon as one is available. in town 19-20 MPG, pending on wind direction and speed.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
What were the major steering issues you experienced?
It's a long story, Stoneman, but if you want the details, follow this link for the story and resolution.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...em-with-jl-wrangler-please-watch.6723/page-44

The abbreviated version is that I had loose steering at low speeds and, much worse and more dangerous, very stiff aka "locked" steering at highway speeds. The reconfiguration recommended in TSB # 0809218 (dated 7-7-2018) resolved all my Jeep's steering issues.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
The abbreviated version is that I had loose steering at low speeds and, much worse and more dangerous, very stiff aka "locked" steering at highway speeds. The reconfiguration recommended in TSB # 0809218 (dated 7-7-2018) resolved all my Jeep's steering issues.
Why didn't they resolve the Jeep steering issues before they built and sold them ?
Sponsored