Sponsored

Who has their top down?

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Went out this weekend topless. We unfortunately got pop-up storms all weekend. Made me rethink the hardtop option.
Forgot to put on sunscreen and left arm and leg got sunburned. Now I need to let the wife drive so I can get sun on the right side
8E5DDDF5-1BAE-46CC-B76F-6C5245B8A88D.jpeg
Unpredictable Ohio weather makes me wonder if I’ll ever go back to the hard top.
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I took delivery of my ‘20 Sahara last September. This past weekend was the first opportunity that we had to remove the hard top.

I would guess that there are many out there with Hard Tops that have not taken their hard top off. You know who you are.

I am sure there are numerous reasons. So I will share mine.

1. I have a small one vehicle garage and the Jeep will not fit in it.
2. So I don’t have a place to store the top long term.
3. And lastly while I thought it would be nice to have the top off, I did not want to hassle with it especially in light of items 1 and 2.

Well let me tell you. I WAS WRONG!!!!!

If you have not taken your hard top off. Do it.

This is what I found.....
I am SHOCKED at how easy it was to take the hard top off and put it back on!!!!!

It's just 8 bolts that holds the top on.

First step is removing both freedom panels, which only takes about 2 minutes to remove those and put them both in the storage bag. Hopefully you are already a pro at this.

Then disconnect the rear window defrost and rear window washer fluid. No more than 2 minutes.

Then remove the 8 bolts. It can easily be completed in less than ten minutes. And that is with a standard ratchet.

Me, my wife and daughter were able to lift the hard top off and set it in the garage on padding we had set out on the floor.

Lifting off and setting the hard top on the floor was only another minute or so.

After our drive we had the top back on, 8 bolts in and freedom panels back in place and 2 items connected again to the top in less than 10 minutes.

Before this past weekend we had not even attempted to remove the top. So not bad for the first time.

and most importantly, what an amazing drive!!!!!

If you are like me and have been putting it off, I encourage you. Take off the top and go for a spin. I am sure you will glad that you did.

Plan is for the top to be off again this weekend for my daughters High School graduation. Social distancing and all so the students are all going to remain in vehicles in the parking lot. Graduation will be broadcast over FM station with a parade through town led by city police and fire department. So it’s a no brainer. Top will be off of the Sahara if weather permits.
Jeep Wrangler JL Who has their top down? DCDEC801-198E-4EB3-96CE-E88E324BEC07

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
I took delivery of my ‘20 Sahara last September. This past weekend was the first opportunity that we had to remove the hard top.

I would guess that there are many out there with Hard Tops that have not taken their hard top off. You know who you are.

3. And lastly while I thought it would be nice to have the top off, I did not want to hassle with it especially in light of items 1 and 2.

I am SHOCKED at how easy it was to take the hard top off and put it back on!!!!!

First step is removing both freedom panels, which only takes about 2 minutes to remove those and put them both in the storage bag. Hopefully you are already a pro at this.

Then disconnect the rear window defrost and rear window washer fluid. No more than 2 minutes.

Then remove the 8 bolts. It can easily be completed in less than ten minutes. And that is with a standard ratchet.

Me, my wife and daughter were able to lift the hard top off and set it in the garage on padding we had set out on the floor.

Lifting off and setting the hard top on the floor was only another minute or so.

After our drive we had the top back on, 8 bolts in and freedom panels back in place and 2 items connected again to the top in less than 10 minutes.

Before this past weekend we had not even attempted to remove the top. So not bad for the first time.

If you are like me and have been putting it off, I encourage you. Take off the top and go for a spin. I am sure you will glad that you did.

Plan is for the top to be off again this weekend for my daughters High School graduation. Social distancing and all so the students are all going to remain in vehicles in the parking lot. Graduation will be broadcast over FM station with a parade through town led by city police and fire department. So it’s a no brainer. Top will be off of the Sahara if weather permits.
Glad you are hooked. It is fun. I always take mine off for the summer.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glad you are hooked. It is fun. I always take mine off for the summer.
With the current condition with it being my DD and not having a secure indoor place to park it I cannot have the top off for any length of time, however, my wife and I did already talk about soft top.

ricku

Threads
Reaction score

What are those two black thingies hanging on the roll bar ?

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Absolutely!!!

587CC557-B801-455F-AE75-78492C137B36.jpeg

4D055378-3A45-47D2-9949-A065CBC9AE20.jpeg

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
With the current condition with it being my DD and not having a secure indoor place to park it I cannot have the top off for any length of time, however, my wife and I did already talk about soft top.
I'm in a similar situation. Been looking at soft tops but can't pull the trigger yet.

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Who has their top down? 4D055378-3A45-47D2-9949-A065CBC9AE20
I have a similar situation to you as I live in a townhouse with single lane driveway and one car garage. I use the Freedom Jack with a Harbor Freight engine hoist to remove my hardtop. My wife can’t lift the top and I can do it by myself if less than 5 minutes with the Freedom Jack. Cheaper than a Top Lift Pro and works great for me. Maybe something to check out.

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a similar situation to you as I live in a townhouse with single lane driveway and one car garage. I use the Freedom Jack with a Harbor Freight engine hoist to remove my hardtop. My wife can’t lift the top and I can do it by myself if less than 5 minutes with the Freedom Jack. Cheaper than a Top Lift Pro and works great for me. Maybe something to check out.
Thanks for the feedback. Can you provide a pic of your setup?

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback. Can you provide a pic of your setup?
Jeep Wrangler JL Who has their top down? 19502B24-26ED-4BB4-A50B-E6CB8D029437

Here is the Freedom Jack piece that goes into a 1 or 2 ton engine hoist. It lifts the hardtop off easily and stores it. I can lift the hardtop high enough to still have plenty of room underneath it for things.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
No top or doors off yet, we've only had it about a month. We did take the Freedom panels off this afternoon and will reinstall them before wife has to drive it to work Monday. Where she works, having top and doors off is not a good idea.

We were both surprised by how much lighter the Freedom panels are in her Recon than the ones were in her old 2013 Sahara. I'm wondering if we can expect similar results when we eventually remove the hard top and doors.

UUBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR; ‘95 Land Rover Defender 90
Went topless for the 1st time yesterday. Built the cart for the hardtop last weekend, then replaced the hardtop with the soft top yesterday. Lovin’ my Jeep.

Next up, purchase a Diabolical Slipstream so I can keep stuff secure.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who has their top down? CA30AAA2-4D8C-40EC-9CE6-206F02369C56
Sponsored