Sponsored

Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?!

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
21’ Rubi 2dr 6spd. Phoenix to Grand Canyon….the Jeep tends to want to steer side to side. Not terrible but, u cant doze off.
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
21’ Rubi 2dr 6spd. Phoenix to Grand Canyon….the Jeep tends to want to steer side to side. Not terrible but, u cant doze off.
I agree.
A stock Rubicon is worse than a Sport or Sahara, and a 2dr is worse then a 4dr, so you have the worst combination.

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
I agree.
A stock Rubicon is worse than a Sport or Sahara, and a 2dr is worse then a 4dr, so you have the worst combination.
Well, worse at this specific issue. Other than that….the Rubi does just about everything else really good, except staying out of the dealer shop lol.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Well, worse at this specific issue. Other than that….the Rubi does just about everything else really good, except staying out of the dealer shop lol.
Sorry, I meant my comment only to address the steering issue.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link

Change out to mopar lift control arms. It’ll help that out.

Sponsored

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Furthest I’ve gone so far is Moab from NorCal area. 900 or so miles each way. Wheeled around Moab for 3 days and drove home.

Jeep did well. Stock JLUR with mopar arms, 32 psi and steer smarts tracbar. Seats aren’t the best but it wasn’t too bad.

Edit. Averaged 22-23 mpg. Over 400 mile range on a tank. 2.0T and normal 3 day camping gear weight.

BrianUNC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Anvil 4XE
Stock-ish JLUR, we just finished a 15 hour one way leg of a trip with 4 people. It was great, no complaints.

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Denver to Costa Rica in our 18 JL Sport S. Rubi Take off wheels and all of our shit in the back. It was a great very comfortable drive. 4100 miles 1 way.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So this came in yesterday. I am very impressed with the initial quality of the Factor 55 rope, but for $170 you would think it would come with a storage bag.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?! 1627380497414

I have fixed the grille and did some painting that I have wanted to do for a while. I have wanted to paint the grille insert Red White and Blue. So with it apart, I got it done.
Jeep Wrangler JL Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?! 1627380618934

Will be installing this after breakfast today.
Jeep Wrangler JL Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?! 1627380791303

Then of course, I need a new windshield as a car kicked up a rock over the weekend and it has split the windshield from top to bottom. Yeah, Jeep maintenance. Luck is on my side though, a good bud of mine owns a vehicle glass replacement company.

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Pretty decent. I've done Maryland(purchased out of state) back home to Colorado, Denver to Zion NP, and Denver to Big Bend NP.

I agree that my '20 JLUR drive like crap stock. When I first picked it up, it was nerve-racking to drive through the hills of West Virginia.

Once I got the steering box TSB done it was a ton better. I'm about to make a Portland (shipping the vehicle out) to Denver trip and I'm considering replacing the control arms with the MetalCloak ones so that I can set a proper caster (Jeep's stock specs are simply negligent).

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Interesting. What causes this?
The factory caster spec is ridiculous. I'm surprised Jeep doesn't get more shit for it, really. They put the same arms on the JLUR (with a 1" lift) as they do a Sport. Simple math says to maintain the same caster you'll need a longer arm... but what does Jeep do? They adjust the spec so they don't have to have different parts.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
So looking to get back into a Jeep but I keep reading how bad they are on the highway as far as moving all over the lane and just overall not being a very comfortable road trip vehicle.

I do take a fair amount of road trips and I thought a jl with the top down would be an awesome place to be. Jeep has all the amenities. Nice seats/heated seats/wheel and so on.

Wanted some real word feedback from owners not magazines. Thanks guys 🙂
We recently drove my wife’s Rubicon with mud tires from Northeast Tennessee to Hilton head Island South Carolina, then down to Lake Okeechobee Florida, then back to Sanford North Carolina, then back to Northeast Tennessee. We loved it, very comfortable and it rode great.

just the trip back was over 14 hours, would definitely do it again.

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
The factory caster spec is ridiculous. I'm surprised Jeep doesn't get more shit for it, really. They put the same arms on the JLUR (with a 1" lift) as they do a Sport. Simple math says to maintain the same caster you'll need a longer arm... but what does Jeep do? They adjust the spec so they don't have to have different parts.
If the Mopar arms make a difference ill get them. There was one point when I was going downhill it felt like a strong wind (but no wind) had surged against my Jeep and took me into the other lane. Not exaggerating. It was light traffic, but I learned a valuable lesson.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So this came in yesterday. I am very impressed with the initial quality of the Factor 55 rope, but for $170 you would think it would come with a storage bag.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?! 1627380791303

I have fixed the grille and did some painting that I have wanted to do for a while. I have wanted to paint the grille insert Red White and Blue. So with it apart, I got it done.

Will be installing this after breakfast today.

Then of course, I need a new windshield as a car kicked up a rock over the weekend and it has split the windshield from top to bottom. Yeah, Jeep maintenance. Luck is on my side though, a good bud of mine owns a vehicle glass replacement company.
Great news (fuck), The Warn winch will not fit in the Roam bumper. The Roam bumper mounts the winch real low and I knew that I would have to relocate the control box, but the bumper will not clear the winch. So I had to order a new bumper.
Sponsored