Sponsored

Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?!

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
Just finished 1700 miles from Colorado through Wyoming into Northern and Southern Utah in our 2 door 2019 Sport. Strong cross-head wind through WY all day for that 8 hour leg and it was nowhere near as bad as when I drove a full sized van or even minivan in high wind. Overall we thought it was comfortable and the AC worked flawlessly during our 2021's first 100+ degree experience.
Mine is stock suspension running C rated 265 70 17 KO2 tires and fortunately doesn't lane wander so I don't have to fight to keep it straight. No 2 hands on the wheel driving required.
Overall trip MPG was 25.0 on the V6/Auto even with a lot of 80 mph highway stretches.
The last leg of the drive was 10 hours home and no back/leg pain or hard driving fatigue.
All the Jeepy rough riding over potholes and the interstate asphalt issues aside, it's fun on a road trip with being able to open the lid anytime to enjoy the outdoors. We plan on taking it next month through the Black Hills SD.
Sponsored

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
My son takes his on road trips all the time overlanding. We haven't with out JLU yet but it doesn't go back and forth on the road. I can take my hands off the wheel and it stay straight.

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
Drove from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon over the weekend. Fantastic drive! First Jeep Iā€™ve ever owned and I gotta say, Jeep nailed it on the comfort and noise levels with the JL. Not sure how noisy the soft tops are, but with the hardtop I can tell you it has very little noise.

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I made Several Trips in my Diesel from San Diego to Idaho over the last year 7 to be exact. Plus a trip to Hurricane UT and Moab for EJS. I have loved every minute on my road trips. Having the diesel helps as on the highway IM getting 23-25 MPG's. I am heading to Colorado Next month too. For me this has probably been my most comfortable vehicle for long road trips, but I truly just enjoy driving my Jeep whether its short trips or long ones.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I have done a couple long trips with mine. Stock I drove from Las Vegas to Dallas and with my current setup in my signature, I went from Vegas to Moab. Had both of my kids and wife with me for both trips and there was lots of wheelin. The Jeep was comfortable and handled everything like a boss. BUT you do have to pay a bit more more attention than you would with a truck, car, normal SUV, etc. Strong winds will push it around and it does tend to follow grooves in the road a bit.

I definitely prefer to drive my truck (crew cab 2014 Ram 2500 diesel) on long trips if given the choice. I can pretty much set the cruise and relax with that thing. It obviously has lots more room too, which is important since my wife likes to pack tons of toys, snacks, and other crap for the kids.

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
So far Iā€™ve done 5 trips from Phoenix to Austin/Houston ā€” each time 14-17 hrs each way. ā€˜20 Rubicon, soft top, manual, wildpeak mtā€™s. Found it very comfortable and an enjoyable drive. Was able to just get in a go. Iā€™ve also made trips up to Utah and all over AZ. No complaints so far about travel comfort. Itā€™s very subjective though as to what people find ā€œcomfortableā€ or not. The soft top is a bit noiser than the hard top but Iā€™m still able to hold a phone conversation just fine with no complaints. Smooth driving didnā€™t feel like Iā€™m all over the road (contribute this usually to proper tire pressureā€”not the air pressure the dealer first puts in it when itā€™s at 44lbs). Then again I never needed the steering TSB. Only driving where Iā€™ve had to hold on a bit tighter is across west Texas plains/new Mexico crosswinds areaā€”and there every vehicle has to when the wind tears thru there.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

I always assume the people that start these threads are toyota guys casually throwing shade :). I also think how a vehicle drives is so personal you just have to drive one and see if its for you. I test drove a lexus gx two days ago with dreams of a luxury offroader that never breaks with a v8. I thought I would love it based on all the reviews. Huge disappointment. It was really nice on the inside but its horribly underpowered. You just have to drive it and see if its for you.
Definitely NOT a Toyota guys and Definitely was not throwing any shade as the kids say. Was a genuine inquiry and this thread provided me with a ton of great reading.

meanddog

First Name
lydia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hondas and toyotas
So looking to get back into a Jeep but I keep reading how bad they are on the highway as far as moving all over the lane and just overall not being a very comfortable road trip vehicle.

I do take a fair amount of road trips and I thought a jl with the top down would be an awesome place to be. Jeep has all the amenities. Nice seats/heated seats/wheel and so on.

Wanted some real word feedback from owners not magazines. Thanks guys šŸ™‚
Drove San Diego area to Boston with dog and three cats. Rear seats out. JLUR 2.0 turbo šŸ’•kept it in 4WD auto. Got 24.5 mpg. Slept in it two nights ( ppl are out and and the hotels are fullā€¦.).
Great driving except when the dog shifted into neutral and manual until i put something in the way so that wouldnā€™t keep happening ( good to know theres 8 gears or more? thx dog!)
Absolutely love this vehicle as does anyone who drives it. Sound system is great. Cats very happy no meowing after the first 20 minutes- they loved it when i opened the rear door and they could look around. The rear ac is great.

A0FB707C-0726-4331-9C17-75759078DA39.jpeg

AB75FEE9-BD2A-4795-87BE-026E88163157.jpeg

E3CF30AF-3EB5-42CE-918C-B5BC999E6477.jpeg

5DF37FA3-3DEF-4D87-BE13-3BFF68FEDB4A.jpeg

B771DB14-5CF5-4299-8A16-A58B2B802F73.jpeg

88882404-A950-429D-B96E-18D693395EC7.jpeg

58B02979-9006-43AC-AE6C-713957FC9E2C.jpeg

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Man how on earth did you get 24.5 lol. My 2.0 JLR gets 20-21 going 65 down a flat road. Bone stock.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The last few days I had to make several 100 miles trips on the freeway. The ride was surprisingly comfortable, smooth and quiet. I really didn't expect that. It was a 2021 Outback....

Oh, the question was how the Jeep is on such a trip? hehe Uhmm... most definitely nothing close to the Outback. It does have things in common with the Outback though. A/C, four wheels, seats...

Yeah, making fun of our beloved Jeeps... If you have a 2nd vehicle, you might be tempted to take that on longer trips.

However, when I get out of a store I have to look hard for the nondescript white Outback, if I don't remember exactly where I parked. My wife has a harder time; she can't tell the difference between an Outback and any other crossover on the market... she has to check the license plate to know it's hers, or fish for the remote and activate it.

No such problem with the Jeep! You see that baby from anywhere. It's a thing of beauty.

Sponsored

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
We just did this in my JLURD. Comfortable enough, a little noisy with the soft top and absolutely fun.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?! 58B02979-9006-43AC-AE6C-713957FC9E2C

Jeep Wrangler JL Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?! 58B02979-9006-43AC-AE6C-713957FC9E2C
what did you do with the doors? headed to galveston and was thinking about what to do with the doors so they dont get scratched if I put them in the hotel room

Eric0503

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL sport turbo.
Vehicle Showcase
Took my 2 door down to daytona beach. About 2400 miles round trip from CT. I was surprisingly impressed with how well it handled. Averaged about 19 mpg even with the lift and 35s. Would not hesistate to do it again.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
I haven't had a chance with the JLUR yet but I can't wait, did many in the 2 door JK (some trips over 5000km with half of it dirt) towing camper or my old military trailer and it was fine, the JL is so much more refined so really looking forward to it (my JK was a 2 door 2009 Rubicon with 3.8 and auto). Heading off on my first big trip in the JL in September, around 3000km.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?! 20180708_105553

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Just finished my 2nd 4000+ mile trip in my 2dr JLR this year. Adaptive cruise control is wonderful. Used the hill descent control in Colorado for the first time-very impressed.
Sponsored