Sponsored

Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?!

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
The only two "complaints" I have with the JL are the interior volume and the reaction to the wind on the highway. Both are nature of the beast. If I were to do a long trip, I think a set of noise cancelling earbuds would be in order.

Pete
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
First year I had my 2019 JLUR I drove it from North Carolina to Oklahoma and back. It required more work to keep it in the lanes than the 2016 JK I had. Since then I've had the steering box TSB completed and driving improved significantly. Still not as good as the JK. Overall I think the JL is a smoother and more comfortable ride than the JK Wife complains less while riding in the JL lol.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
So looking to get back into a Jeep but I keep reading how bad they are on the highway as far as moving all over the lane and just overall not being a very comfortable road trip vehicle.
I don't agree with that. I've gone on several trips across Wyoming and into Montana with the JL (2 door), used to do the same with a TJ before. Depends on exactly where I'm going but my most common trip is right at 500 miles one way, all interstate, my other common destination is about 630 miles one way, a very significant amount of it being two lane highway. In the JL I've done these trips in just about every hardtop configuration (full top on; freedom panels removed; top and freedom panels removed; doors, top and freedom panels removed; top removed, freedom panels and doors in place). Top fully gone with the door off gets pretty tiring, earplugs help a lot. But if you got the doors on it's not difficult at all, and of course adding the top pieces just makes it even more comfortable. I truly don't know what people are talking about when they say Jeeps aren't good on the highway. Especially in stock form they just go right down the road without an issue. They're not a sports car or a luxury SUV but they're perfectly fine, wind and road noise on the JL when all buttoned up is pretty minimal I think my Prius has more road noise than my JL on mud terrains. I do notice the wind more in the JL than the Prius but it's not unmanageable or dangerous feeling. I do find the seats in the JL to be a bit annoying compared to Jeeps I've had in the past. There just isn't as much thigh support as my TJs had. My Prius has the same issue, and many other vehicles I've been in seem to be the same I think short bottoms is a trend in the car industry for some reason. Maybe for shorter people it's more comfortable but I'm 6 ft with pretty typical dimensions so I'm not sure who exactly these seats are designed for. The only real thing that keeps the JL from being my go to road trip vehicle is fuel economy. With a Prius in my garage I tend to take that on the road as it just makes better financial sense to drive it instead.

Last edited:

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
I have a 2020 Sahara and I have made a number of 7-8 hour drives with it. It's a very comfortable ride and I haven't had any issues with it wandering on the road. It drives/rides just as well as my 4Runner used to, but with better cockpit technology. No complaints at all.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I make an annual drive to ouray which is about 13-14 hours. The JLUR is leaps and bounds more comfortable to drive than my JKUR. From the seats to the 8 speed trans with the 3.6 it just doesn't feel like a chore to drive.
Heheh.... on our way to Ouray right now. Be there in a couple of days.

Sponsored

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
First year I had my 2019 JLUR I drove it from North Carolina to Oklahoma and back. It required more work to keep it in the lanes than the 2016 JK I had. Since then I've had the steering box TSB completed and driving improved significantly. Still not as good as the JK. Overall I think the JL is a smoother and more comfortable ride than the JK Wife complains less while riding in the JL lol.

Go figure, my wife complains more in the JL. She thinks our JK rode better.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

What is this TSB that everyone is saying to make sure is done? Is it some kind of recall?? If I get a 21 how would I know if this was done or not? Thanks guys!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

just did an 1700 mile trip for overlanding with my family. i love the way my jeep drives. i cruise it anywhere from 65-85 on the hwy without any issues. currently running a 18 JLU sport lifted and 33's

Sponsored

xTITANx

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JEEP JL Rubicon 2 Door
A few months after buying my JL in July 2019 I drove from Huntington Beach,CA to Vancouver and back. It was so awesome.

I stopped at Pismo to drive on the beach and the dunes, drove to Sacramento, to southern Oregon, up to MT Hood, then Mount Rainier, then Vancouver.

On the way back I drove over night, like almost 24 hours to Lake Tahoe, then went to Yosemite for a few days before heading home.

I had a soft top at the time and got around 22-24 mpg. Had a blast seeing all the amazing sights and fell in love with the JL. It is the best jeep I've ever driven. The interior is phenomenal. The unconnect is great. I threw on some audio books and enjoyed ever second. 10/10 will do a long trip every year.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My JLUR is mainly a road trip Jeep. A drive to wheeling destinations, run the trails, drive back home.

The recent road trips.

Michigan to Moab, the Rubicon Trail in California and swing through Wyoming.......6000 or so miles.

Michigan to Rausch Creek and back 1800 miles.

Michigan to Virgina, North Carolina, West Virginia and back approximately 2500

Michigan to New York and back approx 1400 miles

Michigan to Alabama and Florida and back 3000 miles

Michigan to Virgina and back 1500 miles

Michigan to Cape Lookout and back 2200 miles

and many 400 mile trips to destinations in Michigan or around Michigan.

I am sure that I am missing a bunch. This is what I have found. My wife and I can do back to back 12 to 14 hour days while road tripping. My Jeep is all day comfy. We are pulling a camper 95% of the time to get to a wheeling location. We have wheeled 12 hours+ on the trails also. I do use a Purple seat cushion. My wife does not. I do 99% of the driving while on the road. We load up a cooler with drinks and a thermos with coffee and something to snack on. Then just drive and push to get to were we are going. The Jeep does a good job and keeping the inside of the Jeep at the temperature that gets set. My Jeep is lifted with 37s. I run the tire pressure at 27 to 28 psi. The Jeep rides very smooth as I soften up the shocks and the tires are not hard like a rock. It tracks straight and true. If there are hard gust of wind, it can get tiring. I just set the cruise and go. We get out and stretch while fueling up. I know it is all day comfy and road trips do not bother us at all.

Just get out there and do some exploring.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
What is this TSB that everyone is saying to make sure is done? Is it some kind of recall?? If I get a 21 how would I know if this was done or not? Thanks guys!
Steering box replacement. From the factory: Aluminum on model years 18-20; black steel beginning with 2021. The latter significantly improves the quality of steering if wandering in one's lane, etc. can be walked back to the aluminum fitment. The TSB acknowledges the problem and dictates installation of the steel box on the 18/19/20s if the vehicle is eligible.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Mine drives great on the highway at 75mph. Rubicon, factory gears, 3.6/8 speed, 37s, 3" lift. Its no luxury car but it's just fine considering how capable it is. I'm taking a 5000 mile trip to multiple wheeling destinations in CO, UT and AZ this summer and looking forward to all that time behind the wheel.
Sponsored