Sponsored

Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?!

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
More of an observation than a complaint… similar to a motorcycle, you notice wind direction / speed more. Headwind kills mpg and crosswind gusts can be sporty.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Define "Long Road trips"?
So far, we've done:
Upstate NY to Frederick MD (5 hours)
Upstate NY to York Beach (3ish hours)
Upstate NY to Rausch Creek in PA (4ish hours)
Most of these are around 600 mi round trip.

Planning on going to Boston in a few weeks, York Beach and possibly Rausch in August.

No issues, knocks down 20mpg w/ V6 Manual trans in stock configuration. Once the 37's get on I'm sure that will drop a bit.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Had taken my 2018 from NY to Toronto. Was fine overall although adults in the back were less comfortable. Their issues were the angle of the seats and the gap between the headrests and rear side windows.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
We have two JLs in the family. I've driven my '18 2-door Rubi as far as about 800 miles one way in a single trip. It's more comfortable than any previous Jeep I've had. And it's a manual as well. I love it, and have plans to drive it to Alaska and back next summer.

The wife has a '21 JLU that's mostly stock except for bigger tires. She has the 2.0 turbo and auto, which is really fun to drive. We recently took it on a trip from MI to CO and back with the kids and all our crap, and it was a pleasure. The sky one touch top makes it even better.

Sponsored

Original J Dub

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former YJ and JK...Current CJ and JL
Drove last summer from the foot of Pikes Peak to Mt. Hood. Drove through mountains, deserts, and forests using interstates, two lane, and dirt roads to get there. Most comfortable jeep I've owned. Didn't wander as much as my JK, but I do have a the new steering box. Wouldn't hesitate at all going even further.

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I've driven both my '20 JLU Rubicon and my girlfriend's '20 JLU Sahara on some long-ish road trips. My Rubicon was driven from Pittsburgh, PA to Gatlinburg, TN for a roughly 1250 mile round trip. It has the 2.0T, BFG 315/70R17 KO2 and a 2 inch lift. I couldn't have been happier with how it performed on the trip with the two of us and luggage for five days. Overall it turned back 19.5 mpg for the entire trip. My girlfriend's Sahara was completely stock with the 2.0T (e-torque) and went from Pittsburgh, PA to Avon, NC and back. I believe that road trip added up to about 1600 miles. It performed excellent with four people and luggage for a week. Overall it returned 24.5 mpg for that entire trip. We both enjoy our Jeeps and can't wait for the next road trips!

Testut

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL 2-door
I've driven my 2-door JL coast-to-coast along I-90 even dropping down into West Texas on the return. While not as comfortable or quiet as our Jeep GC it's not bad. I'd do it again and probably will. The only challenging part of the long drives is under extremely high crosswinds where the short wheelbase and the less-than-aerodynamic design make driving an adventure, to say the least.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
We've driven ours on 3 long (+8 hours each way) trips. The noise gets old after a while and the seats aren't the most comfortable in the world, but it is tolerable enough. If we don't have Jeep stuff to do during the trip, we don't take it. Our Subaru is quieter, bigger, longer range, and way more pleasant on the highway.

There is some definite pucker going on when driving out in West Texas with any kind of crosswind (and there is almost always a crosswind). There are a couple of spots that are downright scary where oilfield damaged highway meets solid axle meets gusty wind meets 80mph speed limits. I'm hoping the TSB steering box upgrade has helped some of this, but we haven't taken a long trip since it was done.

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
Longest we've done is 3 hours down to Charleston from Rock Hill. Yeah, you get pushed around a bit by the wind, but the 'fun' factor when you arrive at your destination is more than worth it. Have fun!

Sponsored

ZeroOx

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Drove from VA to FL.

Drove fine. no wondering around, tracked down the road with no issue.

As far as comfort or how anything else is its a person opinion. For me I enjoy the Jeep for what it is and realize it is not going to be as comfortable as our other cars. So it is worth it to drive that distance. all up to the individual.

Another example of this in a different vehicle. My parents who are in their 70s have a 62 corvette. They in the last 5 years they have driven it to every state in the continental US. And they love it and say it is comfortable as anything else. I drive it around for a weekend and I am in pain.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Drove mine from CT to FL and back a few months ago. Only thing I could complain about was when it got windy (storm windy) it was a white knuckled task to stay in a straight line. I noticed other older jeeps on the road having the same issue. Other than that, it was just like driving any other SUV long distance.
I've noticed this too, when its really windy, my Sahara 2018 V6 is really hard to keep between the lines. Otherwise, I think its really comfortable and a great ride for the most part.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Another example of this in a different vehicle. My parents who are in their 70s have a 62 corvette. They in the last 5 years they have driven it to every state in the continental US. And they love it and say it is comfortable as anything else. I drive it around for a weekend and I am in pain.
Damn if that doesn't sound like the most amazing retirement life I've ever heard of.

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

I came from a BMW. I hated that car for road trips. Visibility was bad and the tires blew all the time. It was stressful.

With 500 miles on my Jeep I took it from Kansas City to Tampa. I thought it was very easy to road trip in. I did the trip in two days with a hotel stop. My fatigue was way down compared to other cars. I have little fear of blowing a tire on a pot hole, I know I am safe in any weather, it has great visibility lines, and I have plenty of room for luggage. I have adaptive cruise control so I believe that plays a part.

I have since been from KC to Colorado and had the same ease. I took the Jeep skiing in the mountains when they had feet of snow and again knew it would get me anywhere.

I have no problems road tripping in my Jeep.
Sponsored