Sponsored

Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?!

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

So looking to get back into a Jeep but I keep reading how bad they are on the highway as far as moving all over the lane and just overall not being a very comfortable road trip vehicle.

I do take a fair amount of road trips and I thought a jl with the top down would be an awesome place to be. Jeep has all the amenities. Nice seats/heated seats/wheel and so on.

Wanted some real word feedback from owners not magazines. Thanks guys 🙂
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So looking to get back into a Jeep but I keep reading how bad they are on the highway as far as moving all over the lane and just overall not being a very comfortable road trip vehicle.

I do take a fair amount of road trips and I thought a jl with the top down would be an awesome place to be. Jeep has all the amenities. Nice seats/heated seats/wheel and so on.

You just need to drive a few.

Before mine, I’d never driven a solid axle vehicle. I’ve never had a wandering issue, but my steering gearbox was a little on the loose side (before the TSB) which has been mostly addressed in the ‘21’s on up. Earlier models you need the TSB done. That’s why it doesn’t hurt to test drive the one you buy. It drives fine now and I will be making a few thousand mile trip with it this Summer.

Last edited:

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I make an annual drive to ouray which is about 13-14 hours. The JLUR is leaps and bounds more comfortable to drive than my JKUR. From the seats to the 8 speed trans with the 3.6 it just doesn't feel like a chore to drive.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Went from NH to Gettysburg a few summers ago, much more comfortable than our old JK. No issues at all.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Drove mine from CT to FL and back a few months ago. Only thing I could complain about was when it got windy (storm windy) it was a white knuckled task to stay in a straight line. I noticed other older jeeps on the road having the same issue. Other than that, it was just like driving any other SUV long distance.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Our jlur has taken several 1,000+ mile road trips. Ride is comfortable, handles more than well enough to set the cruise at 85mph and burn up the miles, and has plenty of power to pass even on the steepest mountain grades. No it’s not a sport car or a luxury car. No it’s nowhere near as roomy as my truck, but we’ve enjoyed driving, wheeling, and driving home as far away as Moab (1,100 miles each way) for 4-7 days at a time. That being said, we did just buy a trailer for our 1st ever Ouray trip 4th of July weekend. The extra space, the saving wear and tear on the Jeep, the peace of mind that we can drag it the 1,400 miles home even if we break something, and the fact that we have the truck to pull it with all factored in to that decision more than the comfort or driveability aspect of the Jeep itself. Oh, and we are on 2.5" of lift and ultra aggressive 37's (geolander x-mt's).
Jeep Wrangler JL Who has taken their JL on a long road trip and what was your experience like?! IMG_20210604_200808_035

Fastbusa

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL

Just drove from Tennessee to Florida. Mopar lift, 35s and its perfectly fine. Obviously you aren't rolling down interstate at 100mph but 75-80 was good.

OP
OP
thegame81

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

Drove mine from CT to FL and back a few months ago. Only thing I could complain about was when it got windy (storm windy) it was a white knuckled task to stay in a straight line. I noticed other older jeeps on the road having the same issue. Other than that, it was just like driving any other SUV long distance.
Yea that's one of the things I read. I guess that's par for the course when it has the aerodynamics of a brick lol Ah well nothings perfect! Still want one!!

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yea that's one of the things I read. I guess that's par for the course when it has the aerodynamics of a brick lol Ah well nothings perfect! Still want one!!
You wont regret it... it's literally like having multiple vehicles in one, since you have so many ways you can run it it (Top open, top down, top off, doors off, trail doors, etc.)

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
From the JKU to the JLU in terms of long road trips I was sorely disappointed. The 2" that they shaved out of the JL hip room was very noticeable. Overall interior passenger volume was also reduced and that is noticeable as well. The main thing that sucks is that on JL they moved the center console upward, which interferes with my knee. My leg rests on the t-case shifter which isn't comfortable. That wasn't the case in JK. Also, with the new ZF 8-speed transmissions, the transmission tunnel is larger and there isn't a place to set your right foot flat on the floor.

The net result is that JL took a HUGE step backward in terms of interior comfort. To make matters worse, the seats on JK were very padded. The JL seats are harder and firm with less padding.

I really have no idea what Mark Allen was thinking when his design studio created the JL interior. They must have been using a 4'11" gymnast as their design target.

Having said all that, the JL is not the worst place I've ever been, and if you buy a dead pedal from the aftermarket it can be an acceptable ride out on the interstates. Just find the rest areas and take breaks from time to time.

Sponsored

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Drove my 18 from Dallas to NoVA, pulling a trailer w/golfcart. Other than the no brakes having trailer wanting to the tail wagging the dog bit on the down hills, no issues. Mine has had the TSB done prior to that trip also.
Drive a few, if you're real serious about a particular one, check the VIN for the the TSB having been performed.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Drove our 2020 JLUR from Michigan to Florida. No real issue other than a little bump steer now and then when at highway speeds and hitting a road imperfection just right. Not uncommon in solid front axle vehicles.

Also from lower Michigan to the the Upper Peninsula last year and no issues.

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Small Business Owner
We are on a road trip right now, actually, with our 21 Rubicon Unlimited on Falken Wildpeak M/T tires. Wednesday morning we drove from north Georgia to Jekyll Island taking mostly back roads for the first three hours or so, transitioning to mostly interstate for the remaining two hours. All said, while my previous vehicle, a Genesis G80 Sport, would have been more comfortable and easily more quiet, driving the Jeep has been fine. In the end, it was worth it just to have the Jeep on the island.

However, for most trips we will be taking my wife’s Expedition. It’s far roomier and far more comfortable for long distances. Unfortunately, it’s not nearly as fun to drive so it’s a trade off.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
At about 2500 miles on the odo, I drove over 600 miles (about ten hours) from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City (then SLC to Moab) and then drove back home a week later. Most of the way, there were very high cross winds that was causing every semi truck to swerve on the roads like crazy. Although I felt the wind against my jeep, I had absolutely no problems keeping it dead straight and the road trip itself was no problem at all for me in terms of comfort.

2021 JLUR 3.6 eTorque 8speed auto.
Sponsored