Who Has Installed PPF On Your Own?

GCM4XE

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited 4XE
I'm sure there are other threads similar to this one so please feel free to drop those links in here if so.

My 2021 4XE Sahara should be here in 10-14 days and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this. At the moment, I have an appointment made at a very reputable local auto detail "spa". I asked the dealership not to detail/touch the vehicle when it arrives. I'm going to drive it straight to the detailer to have them (hopefully not going to be necessary) do a paint correction and a 3 year Ceramic coating.

They're quoting me $600 for a one-step paint correction (again I'm hoping I won't even need it) and $799 for the 3 year Ceramic coating. The wheels are going to cost an additional $400. Realistically, I won't be doing any "real" off-roading or mudding so I'm not super concerned about huge rocks or stones kicking up but I will be doing a lot of highway driving.

I'm very tempted to purchase 3M PPF on Amazon and attempt to clear bra the front grill, front fenders and rear fenders on my own. I'm somewhat handy and generally pretty patient when it comes to this stuff. My last vehicle was a 2019 Widebody Challenger that I paint corrected and ceramic coated myself. I've watched a few DIY videos on Youtube and they make it look REALLY easy.

Has anyone here tried it? How'd it go? Any advice or warnings? Whats the worst that can happen, I mess it up and just have to peel it off and start over?
Sponsored

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I've used the 3m PPF to cover a few small areas around the jeep that see a lot of branch strikes etc. I'd recommend getting a small roll of it from amazon and doing a practice application on something you have around the garage or house. I've found that application is fairly straight forward if you have the right tools and solutions. There are some good videos out there that walk through the application process.

However- there really is no substitute for true cnc cut profiles for complex areas like the grill. The relief cuts are critical to ensure the film conforms correctly. It tensions a lot differently than vinyl for instance. You can find cnc cut kits on eBay etc. but those kits cost enough where you won't want to buy the film and possibly mess it up.

Also keep in mind that the film will need to be applied before the ceramic coating and not after. Since you are having the jeep paint corrected and coated upon receipt, it's probably most cost effective and efficient to have the detailer do the film as well.

Hope this helps. and enjoy the new jeep!