Who has installed an inverter?

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
I would like to install an inverter, and run it from an sux switch. Don't need a ton of power, maybe a Crock-Pot or run a laptop, camera battery charger, etc. None at the same time.

So anyway, let's see some pics of location, what you used, what you like, what you don't like, and what you would do different.
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
You're going to need to run heavier gauge wire than what's used on the aux switches for even a small inverter. A crock pot can be about 250 W. At 12 V, that is about 21 not considering conversion efficiency. Taking into account conversion efficiency, it's probably more like 24 A. If you want to keep voltage drop to 3%, you probably need to run 8 awg wire for a 300 W inverter if you keep it near the battery. I think the 40 A rated aux switches from the factory are using 12 awg. The dealer installed version is probably only 14 awg (maybe smaller).

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
You're going to need to run heavier gauge wire than what's used on the aux switches for even a small inverter. A crock pot can be about 250 W. At 12 V, that is about 21 not considering conversion efficiency. Taking into account conversion efficiency, it's probably more like 24 A. If you want to keep voltage drop to 3%, you probably need to run 8 awg wire for a 300 W inverter if you keep it near the battery. I think the 40 A rated aux switches from the factory are using 12 awg. The dealer installed version is probably only 14 awg (maybe smaller).
It is factory installed aux switches. Basically, I want to be able to have the option that would be in the Sahara (the only option I think I would want) which is the plug in. Crock pot was just a thought for tailgating, but I can also figure something out for that if needed.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I would like to install an inverter, and run it from an sux switch. Don't need a ton of power, maybe a Crock-Pot or run a laptop, camera battery charger, etc. None at the same time.

So anyway, let's see some pics of location, what you used, what you like, what you don't like, and what you would do different.
Matt: an inverter's "best friend" is a trickle charger when power is available and the rig's at rest.:)

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
You would also need to take in to account the initial draw at start up of whatever you intend to use. Some things like a coffee pot can use double to wattage initially, then drop down to a constant draw. The stock inverter in the JL is only 150 watts.

I plan on getting a higher available power inverter at some point for camping etc, but will be a direct run to the battery probably using 4 gauge wire.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MS5BY6...=8NPE5VKXR5SS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
It is factory installed aux switches. Basically, I want to be able to have the option that would be in the Sahara (the only option I think I would want) which is the plug in. Crock pot was just a thought for tailgating, but I can also figure something out for that if needed.
Buy this SureSine 300 W inverter and wire it directly to the battery using an appropriate size fuse of 100 A (check Blue Sea Marine offerings). The standby mode current on this inverter is very low (55 mA). You can wire a switch to the remote on/off terminals if you want that ability. Note that the recommended wire gauge is 6 awg due to the 200% surge power rating.
Sponsored