Sponsored

Who got you into Jeeps and why did it stick??

OP
OP
exoshield

exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
My journey to Jeep might be a little different...

I've always enjoyed exploring off the beaten path in various trucks, SUVs, etc. but nothing serious because they limited me.

Bought a Class C RV a couple years ago and realized I wanted a toad so I could work from the RV and my wife to 'run' around. Looked at options available and the Jeep 2dr Rubicon jumped out to me saying we could do so much more than that!

JLR arrived in March and I have been setting it up for off-roading. Tomorrow we leave on our first trip with it in tow and will hopefully be doing my first BOH trail Saturday... along with visiting the Oregon Coast! No Reservations!!!
Have a great first trip!! Sounds like fun!
Sponsored

OP
OP
exoshield

exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Got hooked on the idea of off-roading when I bought a Jeep Liberty renegade. Got rid of it during the 08 recession into an economy car and various other vehicles over the years but always wanted something to take off roading again. Issue was, I now had 3 kids and needed something with more room so that was put on hold for awhile.

Fast forward to this year, my wife was finally medically cleared to get her license after losing it at 19 because of a rare heart condition. Her dream vehicle since she was 8 happened to be a Jeep Wrangler, we went out the same week she got her license and bought her dream vehicle. Iā€™m definitely hooked on Jeeps now and weā€™ve had such a blast exploring around the BC mountains

9A544B94-A6D1-4216-89B2-D0D789D99C01.jpeg
This photo is perfect!

OP
OP
exoshield

exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I always wanted to get into off-roading when I was younger, but it seemed like a hobby for more affluent people, so I just never got into it. Now I know better, and wish I would have been willing to get started sooner with something like an XJ. Regardless, about 2 years ago I realized that my RAM 1500, while great offroad, was getting torn up on the hunting trails. So I bought a 2010 2dr JK to be my dedicated hunting vehicle. I took it out on the trails, and immediately realized what I'd been missing. After a year and half of wheeling the JK, I decided I needed to upgrade. A 4dr would give me the room I needed for more gear when I go hunting, especially with a fellow hunter, it would be more comfortable for my two boys when our family of 4 hits the trails, and I wanted some newer tech in the vehicle. I now have a JLUR-XR on order, scheduled to arrive within the month!

Here is ROCKY, who was sold to make way for ROCKY2

threefeathers.jpg
Congrats on the scheduled arrival! You will enjoy Rocky2!!

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
I grew up riding around on the rear wheel well of a 78 CJ5, then at 18 Got my CJ-7, and have driven a CJ (or my Sons JL) since.... and I'm 47. It's kinda an addiction...Just saying

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
As a kid I always wanted to go fishing. Finally my Uncle took me fishing - in an old Willys Wagon! We just drove off the highway, didnā€™t know you even do that. We caught a few small trout, but those stick shifts fascinated me! Bought a CJ3B in the late ā€˜70ā€™s. Spent more time under it welding the frame, but loved those four sticks!

Now in my mid sixties, I sure enjoy the comforts of the modern Jeep.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
As a kid I always wanted to go fishing. Finally my Uncle took me fishing - in an old Willys Wagon! We just drove off the highway, didnā€™t know you even do that. We caught a few small trout, but those stick shifts fascinated me! Bought a CJ3B in the late ā€˜70ā€™s. Spent more time under it welding the frame, but loved those four sticks!

Now in my mid sixties, I sure enjoy the comforts of the modern Jeep.
4 sticks- Warn OD? My CJ5 had 4 due to OD- trans, twin stick TC ( stouter wagon TC) & OD

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I first fell in love with Jeeps as a little kid...I would get toy trucks, Jeeps and cars for presents at Christmas and only played with the trucks and Jeeps. It didn't take too long before I only got trucks and Jeeps and not cars!

Several years later when spending the summer in the country at a friends-Cathy and her older brother Brooks, I got to solo drive for the first time and it was in an old Willys Pickup! They had a really old Jeep Pickup on the ranch that Cathy and I would blast down between rows of apple trees, with the front windows down, gathering lots of apples in the process!
This was also the first time I got stuck...nose down in an irrigation ditch, my friends older brother had to get her dads truck and pull us out...

While I have grown older, I refuse to grow up! My favorite 'toys' are still Jeeps, trucks and girls...not necessarily in that order!;)

Last edited:

LazySumo

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubi
CW McCall. Honestly!

I'm in my late 50's and was in middle school when he hit big. I had all of his albums and played them non-stop! My parents hated it, lol.

Now, this September my best friend and I are spending a week Jeeping in Ouray CO and you can damn well bet I'll run Wolf Creek Pass.

All the way to downtown Pagosa Springs.

CAN'T. WAIT.

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Started for me in 1987 when my father brought home a 2 door XJ Chief, which eventually became my mine when I got my license. Drove that Jeep for 235,000 miles and got me hooked. Since then Iā€™ve had 5 Grand Cherokees, my JLU is my first Wrangler but had plenty of time behind the wheel of my brotherā€™s 04 TJ that he says heā€™s never letting go of. He bought it new and only has 60k miles on it so I wouldnā€™t be letting it go either!

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
For me it started when I was 14 and did a frame off restoration of a 51 Willys with my dad back in the 90s. First real vehicle I leaned how to drive too. Dad backed it up to a boat launch. Parked it stupidly close to the water and told me not to put it in the lake. Good first lesson on how to drive a manual, no stress at allā€¦ second Jeep was a new 05 Tj rubicon because I could finally buy a nice car and wanted that Jeep back so badly. Now Iā€™ve got a new JL and was able to take my dad out wheeling just recently. We donā€™t have much in common or get along that well, but strangely keeping the Jeeping has been really good.

Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Iā€™m not sure how many of you are sports fans. I was in Maui when Bison Dele (aka Brian Williams) went missing on a boat trip. (01 or 02) I was there with a friend for a wedding. She was a bridesmaid. One day she was busy doing wedding day stuff and took the rental car. I had nothing to do, so I walked to Lahaina. I saw a Jeep for rent, so I inquired and ended up renting it for the day. The doors were already off, as were all the side windows. I figured out how to drop the top and proceeded to drive down the coast line. Iā€™ve wanted a convertible ever since. For a long time I thought it would be an old Boxster or 911 when I paid my car offā€¦ then COVID happened as I was making my last car payment. Prices dipped at first, but by fall of 2020 they were already starting to riseā€¦ by the spring of 2021 selections were becoming slim. I wanted something used, but most of the cars available in my range were at the random unaffiliated used car lots. I didnā€™t trust them. Then my VW with 162k miles started to act up. I started looking at Jeepā€™s and Mustangs because I thought something American might be simpler and less costly to fix TG Ann the European cars. Blah blah blah, that lead me to eventually order a Jeep. Used prices were too high, the selection wasnā€™t dependableā€¦ and Jeepā€™s have good resale value. Ran the numbers and it made the most sense to order.

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
The US Army since June 1958. Jeeps from 1958 to 2022 - 64 years of Jeeping. Of course M151 weren't Jeeps, but close enough for me.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Here was the formula that got me hooked in High School:

(A) Drove in my friend's lifted YJ with the top off

(B) Parents told me I could not have one because they flip over

(A+B)= (C)Obsession with getting my own Jeep

(C+$)= Owning a YJ, TJ, and JL, spending countless dollars on parts and tools, and not regretting a single thing (and also, never have I flipped my Jeeps).

Happy Jeeping Y'all!!!

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
My uncle was and is a Toyota guy. 4Runners, then a LandCruiser, 4Runner again.
My dad shifted from sedans and is a Jeep GC man for several years now.

We quite often went off-roading to explore hiking trails and picnic spots as a large family outing.

I learned the basics of off-roading from the passenger seat and got some drive time when I was 19 or 20.

Why Jeeps? There is nothing more unique and associated with adventure and wilderness than the word Jeep.
Heard this a zillion times in my life " That part of CO and NV, you need a Jeep to explore." "Better get yourself a Jeep Liberty or Compass because it snows so much where you'll be going to school!"

And then I had an internship opportunity when i was 21, where I learned the original purpose of the Jeep and how the CJ came to become the halo of American vehicles.

I went from a sedan to a Jeep GC, then another Jeep GC to a JL Sahara and now waiting for my Willys to be built.

I am keeping this vehicle forever and I don't think I will ever love another style as much as this.

My wife - never cared for automobiles apart from looking at them as point A-B shuttlers and good in snowy conditions.
She liked the GC and was initially critical of the Wrangler for its wandering steering and lesser handling than the GC.

Once she experienced the true "Jeep life", she jumped onto the bandwagon, pushed her way to the front and the rest is history.
I now face the prospect of extended time in the passenger seat :)

Wandering steering? Wind noise? Narrower seats? Wonder where those comments went. This is IMO one of the greatest automobiles ever made.

So very thankful to God for me being able to afford the stuff of dreams.
Sponsored