Who got you into Jeeps and why did it stick??

exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Everyone started somewhere in this community. How did you get into Jeeps, when did you become involved and why do you stay involved? Ready for some great responses.

Interested in protecting your windshield from cracks and chips? Learn more about windshield protection at www.getexoshield.com

Last edited:

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Information Security
I got myself into them when 20 years ago I bought a '71 Jeepster Commando that I had intentions of restoring. Last year I sold it to someone else, who is fulfilling that restoration dream.

Having always had a truck, I made the switch over last week to my new to me JLU, and it brought back my love and filled the hole left from selling the Jeepster.

Here she is being taken away to her new home 😥

1656015945870.png

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
I have loved jeeps from a very early age. Had a CJ5 Matchbox car when I was 1-2 years old (no idea really) that was my favorite car.

Had to dig it out of my kids toy chest... missing the windshield and top now, but its the same one I had. Minted in 1981 which is before I was born.

IMG-2395 (1) - Copy.jpg

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
In the Army I was stationed in Germany 85-86, became the company driver piloting an M151, had the trailer and all. One fine cold winter night actually put 9 people in that thing as we headed for chow and warmth. Went to the original AM General HMMWV class in 86 after PCS back to the States and although a cool vehicle, no where close to a realistic tagged vehicle, but very fun as well. An 81 CJ7, 95 YJ, 05 LJ, and now a 21 JLUR 3.6 and a 21 JLUR 392, here I am. My challenge has always been sharing with my wife, she would always win on the drive time, I got to do the maintenance, and oh yeah, buy the cool accessories. Bought her the 21 Rube first before the 392, smartest thing I ever did. She gets to drive the 3.6 all she wants and I don't have to share the 392.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I've always loved the forest roads. Calming drives through shaded wilderness... that's my jam.

While in Iraq there was a group of us that all felt like that.

Buller got a 98 TJ.
English got a 99? XJ 2 door 5 spd.
Gonzo an XJ.
Shephard a reg cab, short box 90's Chevy pickup.
Basgall bought Comer's Big Red, a lifted red stepside reg cab Chevy pickup.
Manion bought an LJ and we were all jealous.

But I had a kid. I loved old school muscle cars. I needed more room and wanted the top to come down. And while a CJ7 with a V8 swap could've worked, I hit on the IH Scout II.

Fast forward several years and we're in Hawai'i. No Scouts anymore, but we pick up a rusting our 91 YJ. Perfect island runner. And it was fantastic.

Then during Covid a family friend conducted a birthday parade, carting their kid around to everyone in their new-to-them JKU.

And my wife looks at me and says, "Gosh I miss the Jeep."

4 months later Kent squared us away with Kailani 1. The rest is history.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
My uncle got me hooked when I was around 10 years old in 1983. He had a 1979 V8 Jeep Renegade he used to pull with his motor home traveling to go camping in the San Juan’s Mountains year after year after year (Silverton and Ouray) Colorado. I would ride with him over all the passes and fell in love with jeeping and the scenery in that area. So when I started to adult on my own I followed suit.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I grew up in the back of a Jeep bouncing around the trails and dirty, rocky roads in the mountains in the Andes in South America... the smell of gas and gear fluid was everywhere... as a kid I marveled at how unstoppable those machines were ... I always enjoyed watching the adults installing tire chains and engaging the manual hub locks and shifters.... it was like magic... especially when those primitive Jeeps were able to drive up the mountains on muddy and rocky trails..

I always wanted a Jeep Wrangler and I patiently waited for the JLU to hit the market.. and I am planning on keeping this marvelous machine forever..

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My first ever Jeep was a 1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo. It came with the 4.0 straight six and Selec-Trac 4WD. Then a 2001 Grand Cherokee S in the same configuration. Loved those Jeeps.

My first Wrangler was a used 2008 Sahara 2-door with 8,000 miles. It was bare bones: had a 6-speed manual and a vinyl top. Paid $20,000 for it at CarMax. I started taking it off-road and I discovered I wanted lockers, a hardtop and traction tires.

Instead of modding it, I sold it back to CarMax for $19,000 and got a new 2009 Rubicon 2-door hardtop. MSRP was $33,000, but Chrysler was going belly up and the dealer really wanted to get rid of it, so I paid $26,000 for it. The only mods I did were a Mopar bumper and a winch. I really learned to wheel in that Jeep.
DEC0C052-DCE2-4EDD-9204-330B5025BFFD.jpeg

0F76E0EB-EAA8-49BC-94F4-04A312EC0B7B.jpeg

B9362C9F-30A9-4E8D-9E36-E15148517F5C.jpeg

128CF28C-0534-424E-A2F3-836A3CD173A5.jpeg

Lab1

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Sting Gray, '20 M340i
My Dad and a ’46 CJ2a when I was old enough to start walking. It had a 327ci in it and he would stomp on it then stop just to get me rocking back and forth in my seat which wasn’t bolted down all the way. Yeah- front seat and no kiddie seat for me lol! It ended up being my first car at 14 while we restored my ‘72 Nova. It only spread from there because I got my first ”own” Jeep, CJ5 when I was 16 so that I wouldn’t get in trouble with the Nova. I’ve been lucky enough to have quite a few through the years.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I walked into a Dodge dealer in 1996 to buy a new minivan with the intentions of turning it into a rolling stereo system and drove away in a new Cherokee XJ and pretty much drove Jeeps ever since.
I’m still not intelligent enough to let go of the Jeep thing

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old go-cart from 1973
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
I was bounced all around the back of a 1972 Bronco in the Silverton/Ouray area as a child. Loved every second of it! I learned to drive in that very same vehicle. I had a bright orange 1965 CJ5 in high school. Complete with tiny 4 cylinder engine and hand crank windshield wipers. It was beautiful and a challenge to drive, but loved every second of it. The Jeep was not good for the highway when I ran off to college so I bought a 1975 IH Scout II. I ran all over the deserts of southern New Mexico for a few years with that one. Family came along with the need for "family vehicles". Can't wait to get back into a Jeep again. I get to drive my buddies JK a lot so that will have to do until the JL shows up at my doorstep. 🍻

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I bought my first Jeep for $600 when I was 14 years old, and have owned a Jeep ever since.

My Dad got me interested in Jeeps. My first memory of driving was when I was 12 years old, in 1972, when I got to drive my Dad's new CJ5 that had a 304 V8 in it. Who would have thought, back then, that when I drove that Jeep with a factory installed V8 under the hood, that it would be 50 years until I got to drive another Jeep with a factory installed V8 under the hood. It has been a long time coming.

Last edited:

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
I always wanted to get into off-roading when I was younger, but it seemed like a hobby for more affluent people, so I just never got into it. Now I know better, and wish I would have been willing to get started sooner with something like an XJ. Regardless, about 2 years ago I realized that my RAM 1500, while great offroad, was getting torn up on the hunting trails. So I bought a 2010 2dr JK to be my dedicated hunting vehicle. I took it out on the trails, and immediately realized what I'd been missing. After a year and half of wheeling the JK, I decided I needed to upgrade. A 4dr would give me the room I needed for more gear when I go hunting, especially with a fellow hunter, it would be more comfortable for my two boys when our family of 4 hits the trails, and I wanted some newer tech in the vehicle. I now have a JLUR-XR on order, scheduled to arrive within the month!

Here is ROCKY, who was sold to make way for ROCKY2

threefeathers.jpg

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Grew up with my Dad and his buddies getting together at his commercial garage to “work” every Tuesday night. Mil., 2A, his 3A (family heirloom), 3B-Studebaker 6, 5-Ford V8, Wagon- Chevy, 2 Jeepsters- 1 stock, 1 4WD- Chevy, others sometimes. I was taught to drive it as soon as I could so I could do hunting drops and pickups. My first was a 63 CJ5 ( heavily modded for Chevy-Muncie) 😊

Farrish CDJR