Sponsored

Who else manipulates ess with brake pressure?

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I’ve been playing around with trying to have ess activate only when I want it to. It seems that one of the main triggers is additional brake pressure after stopping. Its fairly easy to keep it from activating by slowly releasing brake pressure as you stop, and then being careful not to add more pressure after you stop. Doing this has become routine and now I basically activate it only at long lights or other situations I know it might actually save a little gas. It’s not 100%, but works most of the time.

Just curious if anybody else does this.
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I use this "light brake pedal pressure" method most of the time and only allow ESS to kick in when I choose. Seldom need to use the button to deactivate ESS.

Because of this, I also have no need to purchase an additional product to help override the factory ESS system.

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
I’ve been playing around with trying to have ess activate only when I want it to. It seems that one of the main triggers is additional brake pressure after stopping. Its fairly easy to keep it from activating by slowly releasing brake pressure as you stop, and then being careful not to add more pressure after you stop. Doing this has become routine and now I basically activate it only at long lights or other situations I know it might actually save a little gas. It’s not 100%, but works most of the time.

Just curious if anybody else does this.
Yup.
I have been messing with this too. same thing for me, it does work most of the time, but not always. I am the same way. I don't mind it for longer stops, but find it super annoying on short stops. I especially don't like it when I park. I stop, it shuts off. I put it in park and it comes back on and then I shut it off with the button because I am parking! arghh!
I end up just shutting it off most of the time anyway. Jeep needs to work on their ESS system. It is definitely in need of some improvement.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Nope, I use a Tazer Lite that remembers to keep it turned off completely. But I do use the pedal trick in the wife’s Honda.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I had developed a sensitive touch with my right foot to deactivate ESS.

However, since I got a Tazer to activate the halos and calibrate the speedo, I took the opportunity to deactivate a bunch of unwanted features, like ESS...and those annoying Weather Alerts.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
With having a manual trans I do not have the benefit of this. I guess the simpler solution would be to just press the ESS button to shut it off....... or turn the steering wheel. It will not activate if the steering wheel is turned at all.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I do this and it works most of the time. The only consistent time it doesn't work is if you're downhill when you stop. Usually the required brake pressure to hold the vehicle from rolling is also enough to trigger the ESS.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I played with the gentle foot method in the very beginning, and it works well for everything shy of stopping for a downhill light. Now, the Tazer Mini handles that specific manipulation, amongst many other niceties.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, The brake pressure method is the best way for autos to avoid an autostop at a quick stop like a Stop Sign.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just press the button and worry about it once instead of every stop.
Yeah, brake pressure is for if you're being selective about which stops you use ESS for. Red light, ESS is good. Stop sign where I know I'm going to be stopped for only a fraction of a second? Light brakes, no ESS.

Reactions: eck

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I've been doing this for 2 years now. The only part that I haven't mastered is pulling into my garage and getting it into park before it cuts off and then has to start back up......I don't know why ESS can't be engaged in park - would save me a lot of gas when the wife starts the jeep and then just sits in the driveway and talks on the phone for 10 minutes.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've been doing this for 2 years now. The only part that I haven't mastered is pulling into my garage and getting it into park before it cuts off and then has to start back up......I don't know why ESS can't be engaged in park - would save me a lot of gas when the wife starts the jeep and then just sits in the driveway and talks on the phone for 10 minutes.
Push the selector into neutral as you stop, this prevents the unnecessary autostop and restart when you go into park.