Sponsored

Who else manipulates ess with brake pressure?

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Totally different experience in the manual. The clutch is what triggers the engine to kick on. For a super short stop just keep the clutch in and in gear. Wont turn the engine off. .

the best however is that the engine will shut off in neutral at about 2mph letting you coast engine off. In downhill crawling traffic I can release the brake and just roll engine off.
Sponsored

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've only had my JL for a week, but it doesn't bother me. If I don't want it to engage (stop sign) I just hold the clutch down. Should've gotten the manual :)

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Iā€™ve been playing around with trying to have ess activate only when I want it to. It seems that one of the main triggers is additional brake pressure after stopping. Its fairly easy to keep it from activating by slowly releasing brake pressure as you stop, and then being careful not to add more pressure after you stop. Doing this has become routine and now I basically activate it only at long lights or other situations I know it might actually save a little gas. Itā€™s not 100%, but works most of the time.

Just curious if anybody else does this.
Hi Randall:

I'm going to interpret your question more broadly to ask if there are steps people take to prevent ESS from engaging at certain temporarily stops but not others, not necessarily using the brake pedal as their only means of deactivating ESS on a stop by stop basis.

Like you, I'm in that category but use a different means to arrive at that goal other than the brake pedal: my primary method being putting my automatic into a manual gear. ESS won't engage in (JL) automatics if they are in a manual gear.

It's common for me to do this if I have knowledge at a particular stop that traffic is about to move in a second or two. The running school of thought is that after about 7 seconds you are saving gasoline (if not adding wear and tear to moving parts).

I've shied away from the brake pedal method to prevent me from possibly hitting the vehicle in front of me if I am rear ended by a third motorist for lack of adequate braking pressure on my stop tires.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I had to get into the habit of starting my airplane and take time to check all gauges etc because end results might not be happy. So when I start the jeep, I take a minute or so to check all gauges And let it warm up and push the Ess and traction buttons off. That said I hate ess and all the other tech shit which is not necessary. Let it be an option for those who want it. Different strokes for different folks. šŸ˜Ž
That's an interesting thought. I'm willing to bet that pilots in general would not be as apt to go out and buy ESS turn off tech as much as the general JL population. And I'd make this bet because pre-flight adjustment is just so much more part-in-parcel with flight than it is with driving.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Hi Randall:

I'm going to interpret your question more broadly to ask if there are steps people take to prevent ESS from engaging at certain temporarily stops but not others, not necessarily using the brake pedal as their only means of deactivating ESS on a stop by stop basis.

Like you, I'm in that category but use a different means to arrive at that goal other than the brake pedal: my primary method being putting my automatic into a manual gear. ESS won't engage in (JL) automatics if they are in a manual gear.

It's common for me to do this if I have knowledge at a particular stop that traffic is about to move in a second or two. The running school of thought is that after about 7 seconds you are saving gasoline (if not adding wear and tear to moving parts).

I've shied away from the brake pedal method to prevent me from possibly hitting the vehicle in front of me if I am rear ended by a third motorist for lack of adequate braking pressure on my stop tires.
All good points and thanks for the tip! In general if I reach for the shifter, i might as well hit the button. I do appreciate the reminder that light pedal pressure isnā€™t always a good idea. Kinda in the same area as not a good idea to turn your wheels to left while waiting for oncoming traffic to clear.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
All good points and thanks for the tip! In general if I reach for the shifter, i might as well hit the button. I do appreciate the reminder that light pedal pressure isnā€™t always a good idea. Kinda in the same area as not a good idea to turn your wheels to left while waiting for oncoming traffic to clear.
...much as turning that wheel too much in a JL is another condition that will prevent ESS from engaging...;)

• Haha
Reactions: eck

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Nope, I use a Tazer Lite that remembers to keep it turned off completely. But I do use the pedal trick in the wifeā€™s Honda.
Ok I have to ask about the Tazer...

It says it can also remember to keep your traction control off. My biggest problem is when I drive in winter and I shift from 4wd to 2wd, the jeep puts my traction control back on.

Do you know if the tazer stops this from happening? Its sooo annoying. When I turn that off I just want it to stay off!

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Yup.
I have been messing with this too. same thing for me, it does work most of the time, but not always. I am the same way. I don't mind it for longer stops, but find it super annoying on short stops. I especially don't like it when I park. I stop, it shuts off. I put it in park and it comes back on and then I shut it off with the button because I am parking! arghh!
I end up just shutting it off most of the time anyway. Jeep needs to work on their ESS system. It is definitely in need of some improvement.
So annoying. All Chrysler vehicles do this. Just rented a Pacifica and it did it too.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So annoying. All Chrysler vehicles do this. Just rented a Pacifica and it did it too.
@rubiRI77

I too don't like it when ESS disengages simply because I put my vehicle in park while ESS is already engaged. In my way of thinking, that ESS event would end the sooner of putting the vehicle back into a gear that moves the vehicle, or the realization of any one of a number of events that [should] cause ESS to end before the brake pedal is released: the most common being the ESS/Aux battery become too low in voltage.

So know I'm with you---but there's a "but" to this story. Also know I'm the first to assign blame to FCA when due, but that I will protect them when they're not at fault: not that either of you have pointed fingers at FCA over this.

I raised your frustration on the forum about this a few months ago and someone more knowledgeable about the rules the EPA set up for ESS testing explained (and I confirmed) that the way the calculations are set up, the vehicle must have the engine running in park.

Perhaps the EPA had good reason for this, but good or bad, finger pointing is on them, not automobile manufacturers. :)

Edit: source https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/auto-start-stop-rant.58571/post-1262394

BTW: EPA also adds penalty for ESS off buttons that remember the state they were in (called latching) from the last engine crank. Manufacturers who use such buttons can only claim the average MPG with ESS on and off. Manufacturers with non-latching buttons, like found in the JL get to claim the MPG with ESS engaged.

Last edited:

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
@rubiRI77

I too don't like it when ESS disengages simply because I put my vehicle in park while ESS is already engaged. In my way of thinking, that ESS event would end the sooner of putting the vehicle back into a gear that moves the vehicle, or the realization of any one of a number of events that [should] cause ESS to end before the brake pedal is released: the most common being the ESS/Aux battery become too low in voltage.

So know I'm with you---but there's a "but" to this story. Also know I'm the first to assign blame to FCA when due, but that I will protect them when they're not at fault: not that either of you have pointed fingers at FCA over this.

I raised your frustration on the forum about this a few months ago and someone more knowledgeable about the rules the EPA set up for ESS testing explained (and I confirmed) that the way the calculations are set up, the vehicle must have the engine running in park.

Perhaps the EPA had good reason for this, but good or bad, finger pointing is on them, not automobile manufacturers. :)

Edit: source https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/auto-start-stop-rant.58571/post-1262394

BTW: EPA also adds penalty for ESS off buttons that remember the state they were in (called latching) from the last engine crank. Manufacturers who use such buttons can only claim the average MPG with ESS on and off. Manufacturers with non-latching buttons, like found in the JL get to claim the MPG with ESS engaged.
That sounds about right... More government bologna that most people just end up using the work-around for anyway. Not even a little bit surprised. thanks for the info btw.

Sponsored

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Although I don't recommend this, but I too don't wear my seat belt and haven't had it shut off yet.
I feel naked if I am not wearing a seat belt.

I believe if you stop at lights and such with the emergency brake the car will keep running.

jomar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl wrangler sport
Iā€™ve been playing around with trying to have ess activate only when I want it to. It seems that one of the main triggers is additional brake pressure after stopping. Its fairly easy to keep it from activating by slowly releasing brake pressure as you stop, and then being careful not to add more pressure after you stop. Doing this has become routine and now I basically activate it only at long lights or other situations I know it might actually save a little gas. Itā€™s not 100%, but works most of the time.

Nope not me, I just disconnected the sensor under hood. No need to to play with pressure on brakes or get taser or smart switch for $129 problem solved..

JB4818

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
I've been doing this for 2 years now. The only part that I haven't mastered is pulling into my garage and getting it into park before it cuts off and then has to start back up......I don't know why ESS can't be engaged in park - would save me a lot of gas when the wife starts the jeep and then just sits in the driveway and talks on the phone for 10 minutes.
Back into your garage. ESS is not active in reverse.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I've been doing this for 2 years now. The only part that I haven't mastered is pulling into my garage and getting it into park before it cuts off and then has to start back up......I don't know why ESS can't be engaged in park
IF an automatic, then thow it into a manual gear before stopping. ESS doesn't engage for manual gears. As to why ESS can 't be engaged in park:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...es-ess-with-brake-pressure.67886/post-1434005

- would save me a lot of gas when the wife starts the jeep and then just sits in the driveway and talks on the phone for 10 minutes.
I hear that. But I also must conclude, as you, that the cell phone doesn't require the vehicle to be on.

As far as tech solving a problem that one doesn't have to raise with a spouse: priceless--I hear that too!!
Sponsored