Sponsored

Who else manipulates ess with brake pressure?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yeah I'm out of warranty now, I'll have to do the swap myself.
Call and check. You might be able to get them to cover the battery/batteries.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Call and check. You might be able to get them to cover the battery/batteries.
I'm not even sure I want their cheapos since I've already done a battery replacement under warranty...

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Just use a Smart Stop Start dongle and it remembers your last setting for turning off the ESS. Push the button once to turn it off and never have to do it again unless someone toggles it back on for you. Owner is a jeeper and member of the forum

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
Got myself programmed to hit the button as soon as I get in. Still can't believe they put this on the diesel motor.

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I use my jeep a bit like a manual of arms for a firearm when I'm arriving at, or leaving, the range. Pick up pistol, trigger discipline, safe direction, insert magazine, rack slide, press check, muzzle discipline and insert in holster, check retention, go about my day.

Get in jeep, buckle seat belt, turn on ignition, press ESS button, ebrake release, in gear, go.

I don't even remember pushing the button these days.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Light brake pressure works, however I have the 2.0 with BSG; ESS is a non issue with this set up...it’s so smooth. With the non BSG start up is so much more noticeable....

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have eTorque and I also use this method to control ESS during a particular trip. But as stated previously, it is not a 100% thing.
At times, especially on a level surface, ESS still kicks in even though I have my foot on the pedal just barely, only enough to stop the jeep from rolling forward, and it still kicks in. That said, this method does work most of the time.

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
My ride to work and home thru back roads, I keep it activated and light brake pedal at stop signs and leave a wider space between vehicles in front of me. Traffic lights and long stops I leave the system work. BUT pulling into parking spaces and at home in the driveway, I un-hook the seat belt clip at just about a dead stop. It takes about 2 seconds to actually shut off the engine with the e-torque,, so if you pull into your garage or parking spot, gas station when you are just about at a dead stop, hit the seat belt button and the Jeep will continue to stay running..

Sponsored

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I apologize to all that thought I was looking for a solution to ESS. I have a Tazer and can have it remember my last setting and I leave it disabled often. I was just wondering if others tried to save a drop or two of gas on occasion like me. I often turn it on in town and then more or less decide when it activates.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I apologize to all that thought I was looking for a solution to ESS. I have a Tazer and can have it remember my last setting and I leave it disabled often. I was just wondering if others tried to save a drop or two of gas on occasion like me. I often turn it on in town and then more or less decide when it activates.
ESS doesn't really save gas unless it is a long stop. I wish it worked the opposite way. Default is off and you turn it on. For instance you get stopped at a railroad crossing or early in a lights cycle and then you push the button to activate it. To me that would be much more useful

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
ESS doesn't really save gas unless it is a long stop. I wish it worked the opposite way. Default is off and you turn it on. For instance you get stopped at a railroad crossing or early in a lights cycle and then you push the button to activate it. To me that would be much more useful
Couldn’t agree more. It’s essentially the way I use it, but it would take a lot less thought and input by me.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
yup.

i don't always all the ESS to remain on, but if running in the right conditions around-town or in the City, i'll leave it on and play with brake pedal pressure to decide when i want it to activate or not.

I’ve been playing around with trying to have ess activate only when I want it to. It seems that one of the main triggers is additional brake pressure after stopping. Its fairly easy to keep it from activating by slowly releasing brake pressure as you stop, and then being careful not to add more pressure after you stop. Doing this has become routine and now I basically activate it only at long lights or other situations I know it might actually save a little gas. It’s not 100%, but works most of the time.

Just curious if anybody else does this.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
What's funny is I had Ripp coils in my Jeep and I had a misfire on a cylinder. Swapped back to stock coils. It ever since the misfire my ESS is default to always be off when I start the vehicle. Probably the only good thing that came from having the RIPP coils installed.
Sponsored