Sponsored

Who else is in the "I'm waiting until the 2nd model year to buy but it's really hard to wait" club?

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
I'd kill for a military green on a new Willys JL edition, but I've already waiting long enough to get the JL. I nearly bought a 2016 JK and decided to wait for the new model. It's time.

Still can't believe they didn't launch with a dark green.
Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I'd kill for a military green on a new Willys JL edition, but I've already waiting long enough to get the JL. I nearly bought a 2016 JK and decided to wait for the new model. It's time.

Still can't believe they didn't launch with a dark green.
oh man, a JK willy's edition, that would be nice

although a base JL can basically get halfway there. optional LSD and A/T's, and a gear ratio higher than the standard JK

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What issues? Go to any forum for any vehicle, including JK's, that has been out awhile and tell me when you find one with no issues.
Tell me with a straight, unbiased face that Jeep and/or FCA vehicles don't have significantly higher problem rates than other marques.

Do you think Honda Accord forums see as many problems as these things?

I love wranglers, and am a soon-to-be buyer, but it's good to be intellectually honest about these things.

Mark12211

Threads
Reaction score
I have had my share of first year model run issues. My wife and I are Jeep people and usually put 140,000 miles on them. Our first year model run WJ had issues with power windows not working, windshield washer fluid not spraying, and brakes. Oh god the brakes would warp after the first puddle you hit. They would get so hot and then the quick cool from the puddle would make them look wobbled. They would shake the whole vehicle when slowing down. Our second WJ was a few years newer and didn't share those issues. Our first year model run XK was plagued by squeaks and rattles and water leaks, oh my. When you shut the door the entire roof would rise up and down. Our later model run XK didn't have those issues other than typical TPMS issues found on other Jeeps.

I am also waiting for
1. Half doors
2. Half doors with painted fender flares
3. To see the JT to see if I will drool over it like I did with the Chevy Avalanche. There was something about those slanted rear pillars and a roof rack that I fell in love with. But I never did buy one.

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I'll probably wait till June. I suppose I'm a little concerned that if I wait too long, they will stop offering the basic 2 door Sport model (non S) or will increase the price of some options like the LSD Axle Upgrade.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
I was thinking of buying soon to take advantage of the zero percent financing offered in Canada this month.

However, I'm starting to lean towards waiting for the second model year.

The JL will be my daily driver which I also plan on using for overlanding. I really need reliability over off-road capability since some of the places I'll be taking it will be extremely remote. If I see a puddle of transmission fluid under my JL in Tuktoyaktuk, I will lose it and probably go club a seal!

Besides, I currently have a car which is paid off and super reliable. I guess it's a matter of controlling my wants over my needs...

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Do you mean www dot obnoxious-ricers dot com ?!?! Lol
But, yeah, every Jeep Wrangler buyers know it’s not the most reliable brand on the market...
Bur again, Honda and Toyota aren’t what they used to be anymore either

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
I have had first year models of several makes including Lexus, Toyota, and Ford (to name a few) that had less problems than later year production units. Conversely, my '11 Land Cruiser was very problematic compared to my buddies first year production '08 that has been bullet proof for over 150k miles. I think it's merely luck of the draw and anything man made on an assembly line with hundreds of parts, including many moving mechanical parts, can have issues. With that said, I just got home from a 13 hour round trip to PA to purchase my new '18 JLU Rubicon and drove it home almost 400 trouble free miles. Not a rattle or issue. Man, the Alpine stereo is freakin' awesome and maybe the best I've had in a stock vehicle. There was a little wind noise above 75mph, but that's to be expected. No leaks, no rattles, and so far so good. Respectively, I think we can sometimes get caught up in believing "myths" that 2nd and older year production runs are better. After 12 years in the Army, and several deployments, life has taught me to simply enjoy the moment and not worry about things out of my control. Therefore, I purchased now because 1) I really wanted a new Ruby, 2) the vehicle has a new warranty and luckily the dealer I purchased from has a lifetime limited powertrain warranty that exceeds the factory 60K, and 3) I could be dead next year from either natural causes, or thousands of other possible scenerios. If you want one, my humble opinion is go buy one and drive the wheels off of it. You have a warranty and typically any issues that rear their ugly head usually happen within the warranty period anyway and can be ironed out before 3/36 or 5/60k. Regardless, I LOVE my new Ruby and a Mopar 2" lift, and 35's are being installed soon along with a snorkel and many other mods. I guess the only down side I see with my new Jeep is the fact that my wallet is getting lighter and lighter the more I search this forum :like:

MojitoWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Z28 R/S
Occupation
Stock Trader
I am waiting on laying my actual eyes on a production mojito green Rubi and for Jeep to figure out what interior colors, i hate the grey dash, will accompany it. So i guess ill be getting one in May/June :) As for bugs, its a luck of the draw nowadays.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Tell me with a straight, unbiased face that Jeep and/or FCA vehicles don't have significantly higher problem rates than other marques.

I love wranglers, and am a soon-to-be buyer, but it's good to be intellectually honest about these things.
I've not argued that this should be compared that way, especially to a vehicle that isn't nearly as complex. I'm saying that I haven't seen any statistically significant pattern of a particular problem. If you have, please share it. Also share where you found the data for it. The best you'll find at this point is anecdotal. To my knowledge, there have been no recalls on the JL yet. That said, I'm not saying there isn't a significant pattern of issues. I'm simply saying I haven't seen one yet, and you comparing it to the Accord doesn't make it so, either. It may happen. I wouldn't be shocked by it, either.

Btw, let's put the Accord through the same water test on its interior that the JL got, just for $hits and giggles. I'd bet it wouldn't fare too well. Run it both of them through 100 yards of 30 inch deep water, too while you are at it, and let's see which one fares better.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you mean www dot obnoxious-ricers dot com ?!?! Lol
But, yeah, every Jeep Wrangler buyers know it’s not the most reliable brand on the market...
Bur again, Honda and Toyota aren’t what they used to be anymore either
There's a near-general consensus that even legendary Japanese reliability isn't quite where it was in the 90's and 00's. We went from simple vehicles with necessary amounts of tech (such as EFI and a nice stereo), to mobile, very complicated computers. Thanks to The Gov, backup cameras, which to some people is needless, is about to become required in all new vehicles by law, for example. JapAuto does seem to really nail in quality control, however. My 2004 Accord's touch-screen nav still functions like new.

I don't think I could be talked into any other newer Jeep. Reviews, reliability scores, resale all abysmal. When I was waiting on the JL, I was mainly hoping they wouldn't ruin it, and it doesn't seem they have. They've earned a new purchase from someone that would generally buy Japanese or Mustang. I love that they kept a bunch of older, but proven tech around. The Pentastar is far from uncertain, Dana axles don't just break without excess abuse (Dana 35 owners need not apply), everyone builds a competent 6 speed manual these days, and Jeep sources excellent transfer cases, etc.

Who knows, maybe the crank windows will fail one year. It must've been humorous to be the (possible) sole mechanical engineer in the auto industry designing a new manual window mechanism in 2016/2017.

Also there's two types of Hondas: super cool V6 Manual pretend-its-a-grand-tourer type cars, and super lame "dude the ebay turbo kit is only $400 dude" Civics. Ha!

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I've not argued that this should be compared that way, especially to a vehicle that isn't nearly as complex. I'm saying that I haven't seen any statistically significant pattern of a particular problem. If you have, please share it. Also share where you found the data for it. The best you'll find at this point is anecdotal. To my knowledge, there have been no recalls on the JL yet. That said, I'm not saying there isn't a significant pattern of issues. I'm simply saying I haven't seen one yet, and you comparing it to the Accord doesn't make it so, either. It may happen. I wouldn't be shocked by it, either.
Well, I absolutely dont need to access their inside statistics to know the yield will get better over the next few months, as will firmware in the system.

However, You are absolutely correct that forums will have posts of the people having problems (a bulk of the happy people are off having fun and few will post as a buyer total %), and we will not know if its 1% or 30% rate of early service required, or what % is due to a poor design or requires firmware updates that may take time to roll out vs simple whoops did not properly plug a connector in.

If you are excited, and cant wait.. well go for it you get a warranty.

If you can wait a bit.. why not.. a few months goes fast and I cant tell you from long experience firmware is being reved to deal with oddities R&D did not see on early units, and service depts are learning to solve things the factory and r&d should have (God I love my service guys), and the factory line will improve.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Btw, let's put the Accord through the same water test on its interior that the JL got, just for $hits and giggles. I'd bet it wouldn't fare too well. Run it both of them through 100 yards of 30 inch deep water, too while you are at it, and let's see which one fares better.
Anecdotes aren't ignorable with a brand new vehicle with ten or twenty thousand units on the road so far. There are no recalls on a two month old vehicle, that would generally be the case even with a POS Jaguar or similar. Too early.

Many have seen questionable production snafus, which are probably more the area of concern for me. Speakers not being connected, mismatched tops and fender flares. When the basics are wrong off the bat, it makes you wonder if there's bigger problems waiting to arise. The engineering behind the vehicle seems solid, but build quality is just as important. It's a time will tell issue. I'm reminded of test driving a 2016 Wrangler, new, that had a check engine light pop on. Doesn't make ya feel good!

Your last paragraph is kinda funny! The Accord might survive a 30 inch swim and interior hosedown. So would a Toyota 4Runner. Bonus points: the Toyota will hit a quarter million miles.

tldr; some people are concerned with potential issues they're seeing on a new vehicle made by the world's least reliable marque. That said, myself and others have hope! When it comes down to it, it's still a simple and rugged vehicle by today's standards, especially for us big (little?) ballers opting for the simpleton trims. The first person to spec manual windows has gotta post a review here, as a side note.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I absolutely dont need to access their inside statistics to know the yield will get better over the next few months, as will firmware in the system.

However, You are absolutely correct that forums will have posts of the people having problems (a bulk of the happy people are off having fun and few will post as a buyer total %), and we will not know if its 1% or 30% rate of early service required, or what % is due to a poor design or requires firmware updates that may take time to roll out vs simple whoops did not properly plug a connector in.

If you are excited, and cant wait.. well go for it you get a warranty.

If you can wait a bit.. why not.. a few months goes fast and I cant tell you from long experience firmware is being reved to deal with oddities R&D did not see on early units, and service depts are learning to solve things the factory and r&d should have (God I love my service guys), and the factory line will improve.
I've been interested in the factory numbers myself. Any complicated job needs time to get workers up to speed and pro-grade. Seeing the units per shift number rise is nothing but good news.

Especially if those units are 2-doors, according to me.
Sponsored