Sponsored

Who else is in the "I'm waiting until the 2nd model year to buy but it's really hard to wait" club?

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
NOTHING against all the very lucky people that are ordering or buying a beautiful new 2018 Wrangler, but who else is out there that that says "I'm waiting for next year" and what are your reasons? I personally think they'll iron out any production kinks they find, have more widely available options than they do at launch (sky one touch power top, diesel, and maybe a hybrid option next year). Trust me... I'm going crazy waiting but the payoff will be HUGE.
Sponsored

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
I'm there, got the t shirt. I'm waiting for a couple reasons. To build a little more equity in my Tacoma and to let the people on the production line find thier grove. I've always had a (mostly artificial) fear of first year models but, 2019 might have the BSG which will also be a first year thing in the JL. However, I know I'll be unable to wait till 2020 but, you never know. I plan to order as soon as the 2019 banks open up.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I started there but gave in pretty quickly.

But i am waiting for Sting Gray which feels like waiting for 2019.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
I waiting on the JT price release. This has been my dream vehicle for a very long time. I just hope they don't overprice it.

There is also some talk about a Anniversary Rubicon if the JT is overpriced.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I'm waiting for 2019 for the engines. Waiting sucks lol.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'm planning on waiting, Bugs will need to be corrected, colors for interior and exterior "should" be available, Options not currently available, such as LinExed interior, quality vinyl seats, removeable sides for 2 dr hardtop, might be forthcoming. I don't see a Downside to waiting.

TripleB

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ (Sold), 2013 JKUS (Sold), 2015 JKUR (Sold)
Yes, I'm waiting, watching, looking and learning. I'm having just as much fun looking and watching than I would owning(I tell myself).
Reasons:
-Diesel, I want to drive it.
-First run bugs to be worked out.
-Curious about additional options to come.
-Price to come down, it all ready has in my area. There's probably 30+ Jeep dealers in Atlanta.
-More aftermarket support. I want a Bestop Trektop NX. I called, they said late fall.
-Use my 2015 JKUR a little more, it only has 17k miles on it and I love it.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
I’d like a new Jeep but the current options and trims just aren’t making me pull the trigger on buying one. I’m sticking with my Baja Turbo for now. What would get me to actually buy one is the option for a manual transmission on their turbo models, a plug in hybrid 2-door, or a special trim with really cool paint and options as standard for a lower price than a specced up Sport S. I’m not holding my breath but that’s what’d get my money. :)

As lame as a 4 door Bronco sounds, if it’s cheaper than a Wrangler and has a turbo V6, I’d probably go that route.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm there, got the t shirt. I'm waiting for a couple reasons. To build a little more equity in my Tacoma and to let the people on the production line find thier grove. I've always had a (mostly artificial) fear of first year models but, 2019 might have the BSG which will also be a first year thing in the JL. However, I know I'll be unable to wait till 2020 but, you never know. I plan to order as soon as the 2019 banks open up.

I like the point about the production line people finding their groove, in addition to the dealer techs and MOPAR as it regards the repair parts supply chain, in addition to ironing out issues that the release of any 1.0 version anything might have.

I'm also not in need right now of a replacement vehicle. If that situation were to change, I would though "pull the trigger" under the notion that sometimes "initial model year + X vehicles" have problems that release 1.0 didn't have, that dealer tech training is in large part hands on for a constantly changing staff, and that warranties (my time and aggravation not withstanding) should cover the rest.

(The best vehicle is one with little to no warranty that doesn't need one. In second best vehicle is one with the great warranty.......but that needs one becasuse it's in the shop every other week.)

Consider that the quotient of "# of changes from last year's model," divided by hours tested might be a lower number (a good thing) on the JK to JL build, than the JL from model years 1 to 2, to 3, etc.

Also consider that Jeep did major testing on the JL: not that every bug (known or not) can or is ironed out prior to production, and that the posts here of small numbers of new JLs needing roadside assistance has no statistical significance until a problem manifests itself across larger numbers of the JL owning population.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I'm not sure I have that kinda patience. It's my dream vehicle and I already delayed it years. I'm hoping waiting several months into 2018 production is enough for it to not be a pile of crap. It would be more responsible to wait for a 2019, but I just don't think that's in me...

Sponsored

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Mainly waiting to save up more nickels. Also wanting the first year production bugs to get worked out.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Couple of concerns for me on a newer vehicle:
  • Electronics and software is a big part of these newer vehicles, beyond production problems which should get fixed, software stability is not something a dealership can fix. Waiting buys time to iron out software defects and roll out updates
  • Production snafus. We are hearing reports of alot of typical early production quality problems, alot of this will be resolved and waiting a bit should help here.
  • Over all reliability of the design and parts selection. Obviously we get warranties, but I don't want a vehicle I cant trust in the outback or a road trip. I think the 3.6 engine is probably fine, but again its all the computers and their software that all need to work reliably thats my biggest concern.

I will atleast wait a bit for software to stabilize, and production to stabilize. I hope to not have to wait another year, but a jeep I dont trust 100 miles out from nowhere is useless.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Couple of concerns for me on a newer vehicle:
  • Electronics and software is a big part of these newer vehicles, beyond production problems which should get fixed, software stability is not something a dealership can fix. Waiting buys time to iron out software defects and roll out updates
  • Production snafus. We are hearing reports of alot of typical early production quality problems, alot of this will be resolved and waiting a bit should help here.
  • Over all reliability of the design and parts selection. Obviously we get warranties, but I don't want a vehicle I cant trust in the outback or a road trip. I think the 3.6 engine is probably fine, but again its all the computers and their software that all need to work reliably thats my biggest concern.

I will atleast wait a bit for software to stabilize, and production to stabilize. I hope to not have to wait another year, but a jeep I dont trust 100 miles out from nowhere is useless.
I feel the same way. My Jeep is getting wheeled hard and taken to the middle of nowhere. It needs to have a slight semblance of reliability.

I'm hoping a mid 2018 build is enough for bugs to be worked. I don't wanna miss out on summer 2018