Sponsored

Who else is in the "I'm waiting until the 2nd model year to buy but it's really hard to wait" club?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Edited due to the fact this thread needs less clashing and more chill
Sponsored

Last edited:

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I really feel that some people around here should just buy a horse...
There’s so many variables that you have no control over... like literally NONE !!!
So why not just buy, hope for the best and see ? Cause that’s all you can do anyways, works from year 1 to 10 actually....
Because there are several we can control. I have been an R&D engineer for over 30 years (not Jeep), first first few months of any product launch we are crazy busy fixing things we find in early production, and getting firmware rolled to account for things we did not expect.

Its amazing sometimes even on a great design, it will be some small detail like a cable or connector is problematic. We correct it, get it into production, then have our service guys get units in field serviced quickly to not impact our customers.

Waiting a bit will get through the first round of "fun", and firmware fixes. You have the power! If you already ordered, you will survive, you know this, you dont need to start worrying. You have a warranty.

The Wranglers sales growth (and believe me management in Engineering companies are only interested in products that are growing) will ensure its staffed reasonably well, and they will work quickly to bring it to par. It will be a priority, and hopefully a fun project for their engineering teams.

Fun stuff, and no reason to fight guys, wait or buy now we all want one!

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
I am definitelyi n the "wait for 2nd year club"....might even have to join the "wait for 3rd year club" :(

smartbalance

First Name
M&M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, MDX, Boxster
I have not purchased a JLU for one reason: the wandering loose steering issue. I have driven 5 new JLU"s at 5 different dealerships and all 5 had loose steering and "wandered" while being driven at speeds of 45-60 MPH. Once this issue is fixed at the factory, I will purchase one. The steering does not seem safe to me as it is now configured. I can not understand why it has not been fixed.

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
I have not purchased a JLU for one reason: the wandering loose steering issue. I have driven 5 new JLU"s at 5 different dealerships and all 5 had loose steering and "wandered" while being driven at speeds of 45-60 MPH. Once this issue is fixed at the factory, I will purchase one. The steering does not seem safe to me as it is now configured. I can not understand why it has not been fixed.
I would be curious to see build dates and tire pressure were of the ones you tested. I ordered mine in July with a build date in early August and haven't had any of the issues described on the forum. I will say that handling was a little funky off the lot, but when I checked the PSI all 4 were set to 45! As soon as I aired down to 35 everything was right on. I have since swapped the KO2s with STT Pros and the steering is dead on at 30psi.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Totally understandable. But a little surprising. I test drove 3 JLUs and ordered one and none of them have the wandering steering.

But -

Does the steering wheel have play in the center before it kicks in? Yes.
Does the brick take a little more effort to keep true on a windy highway? Yes.

I see you have an Accord, MDX, and Boxer. A Wrangler is never going to handle like those. I wonder if it is just a Jeep thing and you are going to be waiting forever.

smartbalance

First Name
M&M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, MDX, Boxster
I would be curious to see build dates and tire pressure were of the ones you tested. I ordered mine in July with a build date in early August and haven't had any of the issues described on the forum. I will say that handling was a little funky off the lot, but when I checked the PSI all 4 were set to 45! As soon as I aired down to 35 everything was right on. I have since swapped the KO2s with STT Pros and the steering is dead on at 30psi.
The last of the 5 JLU's that I drove had a build date of 9/18 and had just been delivered to the dealership. This one disappointed me the most as I was going to purchase it if it did not have the steering issue. The fact that the steering has not been modified at the factory indicates that Jeep does not consider this issue significant. So maybe you are correct that I am overreacting here, but it has prevented me from purchasing a JLU.

Just to clarify my JLU steering experience: when driving in a straight line at 45-60 mph the steering wheel moves to the left or right (perhaps an inch or two) without moving the front wheels in the direction you want it to move. So what happens is the vehicle sometimes "wanders" from various road changes even though you are holding the steering wheel steady. When you go to correct the "wander" you sometimes feel like you are over-correcting because there is a 1 to 2 inch "play" in the steering wheel before the front wheels move in the direction intended. This sensation was actually sort of fun the first time I drove one, but I have since changed my mind and now believe it is a fairly significant and potentially dangerous issue.

Any posts on this subject are appreciated. I would especially appreciate hearing that this issue has been addressed by Jeep at the factory.

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
The last of the 5 JLU's that I drove had a build date of 9/18 and had just been delivered to the dealership. This one disappointed me the most as I was going to purchase it if it did not have the steering issue. The fact that the steering has not been modified at the factory indicates that Jeep does not consider this issue significant. So maybe you are correct that I am overreacting here, but it has prevented me from purchasing a JLU.

Just to clarify my JLU steering experience: when driving in a straight line at 45-60 mph the steering wheel moves to the left or right (perhaps an inch or two) without moving the front wheels in the direction you want it to move. So what happens is the vehicle sometimes "wanders" from various road changes even though you are holding the steering wheel steady. When you go to correct the "wander" you sometimes feel like you are over-correcting because there is a 1 to 2 inch "play" in the steering wheel before the front wheels move in the direction intended. This sensation was actually sort of fun the first time I drove one, but I have since changed my mind and now believe it is a fairly significant and potentially dangerous issue.

Any posts on this subject are appreciated. I would especially appreciate hearing that this issue has been addressed by Jeep at the factory.
I don't think you are overreacting at all, actually. Just offering some feedback on my experience with the JL so far! I am also wondering if the issue is more pronounced in 4 door vs. 2 door. I drive a 2 door JLR and really haven't noticed anything funky after airing down. Although, to be fair.. 70% of my driving is between 35-45 mph on twisty rural roads in PA.. the other 30% is on the trail. I think I have gotten up to 65-70 mph twice since taking delivery 2,500 miles ago :)

Rockit73

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sprt S, 02 Night Train, 2016 F6B
I test drove a JL a couple of weeks ago that had noticeable wander at 35 mph. Took me by surprise.
I drove a JK a couple of weeks before that, was solid, no wander.
Sponsored