Sponsored

Who else is in the "I'm still waiting to buy a Wrangler club"? What are you waiting for?

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Ive already got my Jeep on order, and will be my 3rd one lol but got a chuckle about driving the mustang in the winter, reminded me of mine
I had an 08 that did quite well even with summer tires on it, on morning after work (Im 12hr shifts at a steel plant) driving home I started loosing battery power, lights were dimming and loosing power steering. There was so much snow on the roads I was pushing through the crank pulley was starting to slip and not spin the accessories hahaha, Soon as I stopped, the car came back to life, had to stop a few times on my way home to let the car get some jam back
Sponsored

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Ive already got my Jeep on order, and will be my 3rd one lol but got a chuckle about driving the mustang in the winter, reminded me of mine
I had an 08 that did quite well even with summer tires on it, on morning after work (Im 12hr shifts at a steel plant) driving home I started loosing battery power, lights were dimming and loosing power steering. There was so much snow on the roads I was pushing through the crank pulley was starting to slip and not spin the accessories hahaha, Soon as I stopped, the car came back to life, had to stop a few times on my way home to let the car get some jam back
Not trying to derail the thread, but in response to what you said my friends and family think I'm NUTS driving a RWD Mustang through the Wisconsin winters. Truth be told the car is absolutely great in snow when it has good snow tires on it. I'm sure that the same can be said for most cars. Good rubber in winter makes a HUGE difference.

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
im waiting for the various issues to be resolved, steering, lifters, welds and similar. i will have to order to get what i want (base 2 door rubi with the only option the hard top). as long as the build quality appears to be hit or miss, putting down money, ordering and then having issues with the results prevents me from buying.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
im waiting for the various issues to be resolved, steering, lifters, welds and similar. i will have to order to get what i want (base 2 door rubi with the only option the hard top). as long as the build quality appears to be hit or miss, putting down money, ordering and then having issues with the results prevents me from buying.
These are the various reasons why it's a reasonable idea to skip the first model year of any new car.

OhioJeep1149

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Guys - Tomorrow isn't a guarantee. There will always be a good reason not to do something, the trick is to figure out when that reason is worth the wait. Of course don't make a bad financial decision that will put you and your family in a bind, but like with children, you will never have enough of anything.

Sponsored

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
I'm waiting for 48 straight hours of nobody complaining about their Jeep on this site before I pull the trigger. :lipssealed:

I've got three more days until I can get my Affiliate code through Tread Lightly and then I'll be ordering.

HoosierUte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara, 2018 Jeep Renegade
Occupation
Intellectual Property
Second... that plug in hybrid Wrangler sounds amazing... the best of "both worlds" so to speak. That means I'm likely looking at a 2021 purchase so the agonizing wait continues. Who else is (painfully) waiting to buy? Why are you waiting?
I'm in the same boat. Plug in Wrangler would be killer. Seeing some of the issues the 18 JLs have, it would probably be prudent to wait a year for the hybrid kinks to get worked out, don't know if I can wait for a few more years. Might get impatient and buy a stop-gap JL intending to trade it in one the hybrid becomes available.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in the same boat. Plug in Wrangler would be killer. Seeing some of the issues the 18 JLs have, it would probably be prudent to wait a year for the hybrid kinks to get worked out, don't know if I can wait for a few more years. Might get impatient and buy a stop-gap JL intending to trade it in one the hybrid becomes available.
I'd normally agree with this, but it sounds like they're already running the same (or at least a similar) hybrid setup on the Pacifica so the system should already be good to go on the Wrangler the second they drop it in beginning in 2020 (20 or 21 model year?).

djnemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Waiting for my X3 lease to end in July. For now, will just stalk local Jeep dealer lots. Sahara 2.0 - either white or Punk-n.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for my X3 lease to end in July. For now, will just stalk local Jeep dealer lots. Sahara 2.0 - either white or Punk-n.
Are you going to go for a 2019 or will you try to hold out for a 2020?

Sponsored

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It is easy math. Texas has 8.25% sales tax. That is $82.50 for every $1000.00 dollars of equity trade in value. Not much there unless the equity is great, but it helps to know the number.
I'm in Florida so it's a different rate but I also thought I remembered it being that you only pay tax on the difference between the purchase price and the trade allowance not the equity so if I pay $45k and they give me $35K for my truck (even though the payoff is $34K) I'll pay 7% tax on the $10,000. So like $700 in tax instead of $3k.

If that's not the case I'll just turn my truck in on 1/20 and go find what I want and not try to tie the two things together.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I quietly watched these boards for a year and admired the new 2018s.

My 10/6 ordered JLUR is currently on a train headed home. It may be here as early as this weekend.

djnemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Are you going to go for a 2019 or will you try to hold out for a 2020?
I am going to order a 2019 unless the plug-in hybrid comes out next summer, in which case I may order that instead. The $7500 federal tax credit should offset the higher price.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
I'm in Florida so it's a different rate but I also thought I remembered it being that you only pay tax on the difference between the purchase price and the trade allowance not the equity so if I pay $45k and they give me $35K for my truck (even though the payoff is $34K) I'll pay 7% tax on the $10,000. So like $700 in tax instead of $3k.

If that's not the case I'll just turn my truck in on 1/20 and go find what I want and not try to tie the two things together.
I do not like that equity is defined using a home as the example. However,equity in this example is the amount you agreed on that will go towards the down payment less the payoff.
For example you owe 12k car trades at 20k = you have 8k towards the down payment.
Which is roughly .0825 * 8000 = ~$660

Last edited:

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
Well I was waiting to make MSgt. and just found out 2 weeks ago that not only did I make it, but I get 4 months of back pay!!!

Seriously since I was on deployment I'm waiting to use taxes as a nice down payment. So realistically I'm thinking May or June to order one. I have daily driven an 84 CJ7 on 35's for the last 18 years (the whole time I've been in the military, so I think it's time to relegate the CJ to weekend fun drives.

Also my son (mil too) has an 18 JLUS so I need to get into this century... must be nice to be single and no kids LOL
Sponsored