Sponsored

Who else is in the "I'm still waiting to buy a Wrangler club"? What are you waiting for?

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I've been salivating to get a JL from the moment I saw the first Super Bowl commercial. As the snow begins to fly my year round driver (a 2014 Mustang with a great set of snow tires) does just fine but a Wrangler would be so, so much better here in Wisconsin. I've got 2 factors keeping me from ordering today. First, I'm still paying off my wife's Grand Cherokee and I'm not interested in 2 car payments at the same time. Second... that plug in hybrid Wrangler sounds amazing... the best of "both worlds" so to speak. That means I'm likely looking at a 2021 purchase so the agonizing wait continues. Who else is (painfully) waiting to buy? Why are you waiting?
Sponsored

Last edited:

NOMAD-0311

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scat Pack Challenger
I’m waiting to get stationed back Stateside! Soon as we get back I’m picking up my JLUR! I miss my JKU I had to sell before coming overseas because they told us we couldn’t bring two cars (found out later that was bs, just had to get some paperwork from the unit. So I sold my ol JK for no reason!)

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I've been salivating to get a JL from the moment I saw the first Super Bowl commercial. As the snow begins to fly my year round driver (a 2014 Mustang with a great set of snow tires) does just fine but a Wrangler would be so, so much better here in Wisconsin. I've got 2 factors keeping me from ordering today. First, I'm still paying off my wife's Grand Cherokee and I'm not interested in 2 car payments at the same time. Second... that plug in hybrid Wrangler sounds amazing... the best of "both worlds" so to speak. That means I'm likely looking at a 2020 purchase so the agonizing wait continues. Who else is (painfully) waiting to buy? Why are you waiting?
That's easy, just trade in the grand cherokee! Then let your wife pick out the JL and then you buy all the mods for it! I ordered my JL last week, and unfortunately I'll be making 2 car payments because I could not get my husband to trade in his '17 JKU lol...

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I held off getting a '17 JK in order to wait for the JL (and to save up a few more bucks).

Then ended up holding off on an '18 JL because of ACC (really wanted it).

Then I almost held off for a '20 JL for same reason as you (hybrid), but just couldn't wait any longer and my current DD is dying a slow-but-sure death.

Every year they get better, so I figured I'll just get one now and see what happens in a few years.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Personally I couldn't wait, so I am leasing one ATM, missed my TJ, and the JK never really cought my eye, but the JL got me at first sight.
That and my DD at the time was slowly turning me into a 90 yr old lesbian, or a man bunned hipster with tight pants choking my nuts, neither of which I am, so I had to GTFO of that vehicle

Sponsored

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
I have wanted a Jeep (or a Bronco) since I was 5 years old (1967) and my family went on a trip to the Tetons. I saw these roads that went up into the mountains and really wanted to explore them, but being that we were in a VW bus and I was 5...

Anyway... I did buy an XJ Cherokee years ago and loved it. My wife is on her 3rd (or is it 4th?) Grand Cherokee, but still no Wrangler. I'm nearing retirement and have decided it's time. Friends and family have ended up in Colorado and last year I rented a JK and did the dirt road thing out there. Hey, nothing parties like a rental!
Colorado.jpg

I have no desire to do the rock crawling thing and in reality don't NEED a Jeep to do the light duty work I envision, but I WANT a Jeep to do it in.

So, what's holding me back now? In no particular order;

1) I said I was going to wait to see the new Bronco before I bought a Wrangler. I'm guessing that'll happen at the Detroit Auto Show in January? I may not wait for that.
2) It's going to be a battle to free up the cash. I want to have all my ducks in a row before I convince my wife it's time. She already knows it's coming.
3) I had been waiting for the 2019 build info to come out to see what options might become available on the Sport S, but that's happened now, so I'm one step closer.
4) And the biggest reason? I can't decide on a color. I want Punk'n! No, wait, Billet Silver. NO! Granite. Hmm, That's kinda boring. Blue. Yeah, that's it, blue. No! Wait! That's a U of Michigan color! No no no. Back to Punk'n! Or maybe Black? No. FFS it's only a color, just choose one. Screw it, I'll leave it up to my wife. (Strangely, I'm a Ducati fan who doesn't care for red vehicles).

Jeeprscreeprs

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 jeep cherokee
Occupation
rv tech
I'm waiting for money, this will be my first new car and what I have now has little to no trade-in value so it is quite an expensive jump. I have my fingers crossed that they don't axe mojito to soon so I can still get it

okie dokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
1. I was waiting on the 2019s but now eh
2. I seriously cannot decide on a color (Firecracker! Granite! Sting Gray!!) and what options are a must! (As an Okie I feel the cold weather group is a must have)
3. Adulting is hard...

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
I'm waiting for money, this will be my first new car and what I have now has little to no trade-in value so it is quite an expensive jump. I have my fingers crossed that they don't axe mojito to soon so I can still get it
I'm in the same boat. Hopefully I find deal on 2018 as 19s come in or a used 2018.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
That's easy, just trade in the grand cherokee! Then let your wife pick out the JL and then you buy all the mods for it! I ordered my JL last week, and unfortunately I'll be making 2 car payments because I could not get my husband to trade in his '17 JKU lol...
I wish it were that simple... it's the finest vehicle we've ever owned and is my wife's "baby"... "The Bumble" (a fully loaded white Grand Cherokee Summit) isn't going anywhere. We've liked it so much it's the primary reason I've looked at other Jeeps, especially the Wrangler.

Sponsored

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Lease on my 2016 GMC Sierra is up on 1/20/19 so I'm trying to time it where I can purchase a 2019 JLUR between 12/20 and 1/20 and take advantage of the tax savings from trading it in rather than turning it in and then paying the full tax burden. I'll probably screw it up though lol.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I have wanted a Jeep (or a Bronco) since I was 5 years old (1967) and my family went on a trip to the Tetons. I saw these roads that went up into the mountains and really wanted to explore them, but being that we were in a VW bus and I was 5...

Anyway... I did buy an XJ Cherokee years ago and loved it. My wife is on her 3rd (or is it 4th?) Grand Cherokee, but still no Wrangler. I'm nearing retirement and have decided it's time. Friends and family have ended up in Colorado and last year I rented a JK and did the dirt road thing out there. Hey, nothing parties like a rental!
Colorado.jpg

I have no desire to do the rock crawling thing and in reality don't NEED a Jeep to do the light duty work I envision, but I WANT a Jeep to do it in.

So, what's holding me back now? In no particular order;

1) I said I was going to wait to see the new Bronco before I bought a Wrangler. I'm guessing that'll happen at the Detroit Auto Show in January? I may not wait for that.
2) It's going to be a battle to free up the cash. I want to have all my ducks in a row before I convince my wife it's time. She already knows it's coming.
3) I had been waiting for the 2019 build info to come out to see what options might become available on the Sport S, but that's happened now, so I'm one step closer.
4) And the biggest reason? I can't decide on a color. I want Punk'n! No, wait, Billet Silver. NO! Granite. Hmm, That's kinda boring. Blue. Yeah, that's it, blue. No! Wait! That's a U of Michigan color! No no no. Back to Punk'n! Or maybe Black? No. FFS it's only a color, just choose one. Screw it, I'll leave it up to my wife. (Strangely, I'm a Ducati fan who doesn't care for red vehicles).
If you’re nearing retirement and you’re finding yourself in “a battle to free up cash” as you put it, I’d find the cheapest deal on a lightly optioned 2 door Sport and plan on keeping it for a decade, or longer if it’s still reliable. It’ll go up any trail just as well as a more expensive Wrangler, plus you have the added benefit of keeping more of your powder dry, subjected to the miracle of compounding for when you’ll need it down the line.

At 47 I’m still a ways away from retirement, but using that sort of logic day-in and day-out has left me in a position to comfortably retire tomorrow if that what I want to do.

As you get closer to retirement, only buy what you really need. Why? It’s the view at the end of the trail you’ll remember 25 years later, not whether or not your Jeep had roll up windows, or manual door locks (although, if the JLU is what you have your mind set on, I’d go with the S for the power options).

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
If you’re nearing retirement and you’re finding yourself in “a battle to free up cash” as you put it, I’d find the cheapest deal on a lightly optioned 2 door Sport and plan on keeping it for a decade, or longer if it’s still reliable. It’ll go up any trail just as well as a more expensive Wrangler, plus you have the added benefit of keeping more of your powder dry, subjected to the miracle of compounding for when you’ll need it down the line.

At 47 I’m still a ways away from retirement, but using that sort of logic day-in and day-out has left me in a position to comfortably retire tomorrow if that what I want to do.

As you get closer to retirement, only buy what you really need. Why? It’s the view at the end of the trail you’ll remember 25 years later, not whether or not your Jeep had roll up windows, or manual door locks (although, if the JLU is what you have your mind set on, I’d go with the S for the power options).

Well... "battle to free up cash" is really code for convincing my wife it's time for a new Jeep. Truth is I could sell other toys to pay for the Jeep so it's not really a budget thing so much as the "I know I don't NEED a new car..." discussion.

And it's got to be a 4 door. I did the two door thing on my Cherokee and I'm not doing that with a Wrangler. Plus the longer wheelbase will be appreciated during it's 99% daily driver duty cycle. I'm thinking Sport S right now too...

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Lease on my 2016 GMC Sierra is up on 1/20/19 so I'm trying to time it where I can purchase a 2019 JLUR between 12/20 and 1/20 and take advantage of the tax savings from trading it in rather than turning it in and then paying the full tax burden. I'll probably screw it up though lol.
It is easy math. Texas has 8.25% sales tax. That is $82.50 for every $1000.00 dollars of equity trade in value. Not much there unless the equity is great, but it helps to know the number.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Well... "battle to free up cash" is really code for convincing my wife it's time for a new Jeep. Truth is I could sell other toys to pay for the Jeep so it's not really a budget thing so much as the "I know I don't NEED a new car..." discussion.

And it's got to be a 4 door. I did the two door thing on my Cherokee and I'm not doing that with a Wrangler. Plus the longer wheelbase will be appreciated during it's 99% daily driver duty cycle. I'm thinking Sport S right now too...
Tell your wife this, because it’s a true story.

My wife left town this morning for a 2.5 hr road trip to visit family for the day- it’s cold, windy, and her drive is 90% interstate. Anyway. She was fine with buying the Wrangler, but didn’t really have much interest in it for the first couple of months after we bought it. It’s an extra vehicle that was really just bought for summer doors-off fun. Which she did enjoy- she said as much.

But here’s the thing. When I left the house this morning the Wrangler wasn’t in the garage. She passed up the whisper quiet, adaptive cruise control, premium sound system, heated seats SUV for the loud, featureless Wrangler with the base stereo. I’m a way I’m surprised, but then again I’m not. The Jeep is just so much more fun to drive- and I wouldn’t be so quick to pay up for the extra inches between the front and rear wheels either, until you’ve conducted a thorough test drive of the 2 door. You might find that you enjoy the sportier feel and without question the additional quickness can easily be felt from the reduced weight.

Go for it! Who cares about the color.
Sponsored