Sponsored

Who else has broken the hardtop wiring harness bracket?

bzjeep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My last Jeep was a 93 YJ with the hardtop; however, it didn't have a fancy wiring harness like on these newer ones. My brother-in-law and I were trying to take the top off for the first time last weekend and ended up snapping the wiring harness bracket right off. We failed to depress the little red tab after pulling it down and so we thought the harness was just tight and ended up breaking the unusually small piece of plastic that holds the upper harness connector to the body of the hardtop - anyone else had this misfortune?

Luckily, we did not damage either end of the connector, but now the harness rattles in the back... a minor annoyance.
Sponsored

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Mine came broken apparently as the first time I removed my top I noticed it hanging . A 1/2” chair leg feet pad solved the rattle, wasn’t willing to spend dealer time for something so petty.

Gnomad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 392 XR, C7Z Corvette, C5Z Corvette
Haven’t broken it yet, but soon...

My red tab is extremely hard to deal with. :(

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
On a lot of those type connectors once you slide the red locking tab if you push the male and female portion of the connector together as you press the release tab then pull apart its usually a lot easier then if you just push the release and try to pull it apart. Seems like the rubber seal will bind the connector from releasing until you compress it. Over the years I've found this to work the best. This will also work with pretty much any weather pack type connector with or without the red tab. HTH

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Broke ours on the first attempt at removing top...will have to figure a fix one season is over!

Sponsored

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
My salesman and myself almost broke mine. Then we realized you have to push in then pull or something goofy. it seemed really odd to both of us cause the previous JK model pulled apart.

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
It Broke while GENTLY trying to undo the pins - very flimsy plastic thin connector. Was going to try to superglue or wrap in some material to avoid the wrattling around but at least functionality is still there...just disappointed that you spend $60k and get cheap stuff like that! This is my first jeep and keep getting told "It's a Jeep thing..."

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
I just put my hard top back on. Noticed I'm getting some weird rattles from the back now. I don't remember the harness giving me any problems earlier this summer taking it off. Now it seems like it is loose now that's it connected back together and I think it causing the noises when I hit bumps. Kinda curious if anyone got any pics of theirs broken or how they maybe fix it. My wiper works so the harness and plug aren't affected.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Haven’t broken it yet, but soon...

My red tab is extremely hard to deal with. :(
I managed to apply enough force that the tab shot across the room - I guess it’ll be covered under warranty

Sponsored

Davidsal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Yup. I broke my wire harness. The tiny red locking mechanism is flimsy and the amount of pressure I had to use just snapped the little plastic piece that keeps everything in the housing...

IMG_1555.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG