Sponsored

Who else besides me got eTorque and didn't know what they bought?

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Make E Torque optional like leather. See if the sales warrant its existence.
As of the May 2021 order guide, One can now order the 3.6 V6 automatic with the etorque or without etorque on most models. Etorque is a $750 option. Etorque is required with the 3.6 on the Rubicon.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
It Does have 2. It has a 12v alternator and what FCA is calling a 48v starter/generator. Is the second one a generator or an alternator? Don't know, haven't had one apart or seen the schematic.
Where is the 12V alternator installed? The etorque generator is installed where the alternator was installed in 3.6 ESS versions. I see and AC and power steering pumps, no other alternators. My built sheet says alternator delete. If I have to guess it has a 48V to 12V converter.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm 60 and have always driven 4x4 trucks. Toyota for the last 20 years and Chevys before that. Never considered a Jeep and the Wrangler was an impulse buy. Mostly because my 17 year old daughter convinced us we should get one cause the're cool and will be a lot of fun.

So we were looking at them and I asked the sales guy about the VVT eTorque upgrade and what is was. He said variable value timing. Now I know what that is so I'm thinking to myself I can't believe the base 3.6 doesn't have VVT. I know I want VVT and the 8 speed.

It wasn't until after I got the Wrangler and did some research that I realized what eTorque was. I felt like a noob but I was glad I got it.
To Be honest I still have no idea what ETourq is and I have it (would be nice if someone could explain it). I know the engine sounds way different from my 2019 JLU. 2019 sounds smooth and quiet compared to my 2021, which sounds diesel-ish an noisy. Noticed this instantly as early last night, when I hopped into the 2019 to park it into the garage.

OP
OP
Pegleg

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
Where is the 12V alternator installed? The etorque generator is installed where the alternator was installed in 3.6 ESS versions. I see and AC and power steering pumps, no other alternators. My built sheet says alternator delete. If I have to guess it has a 48V to 12V converter.
I also poked around under the hood and could not find a conventional alternator. Of course there is so much junk under the hood I very well could have missed it but I don't think so.

Sponsored

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
*HEALTHBARCODE's post(page3) explains the system gentlemen.🧐

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
No need to worry about eTorque or ESS "out of warranty". The JL is going to be far too expensive to own much beyond the warranty period. Those systems will be the least of your concerns on a 100k mile JL.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I cannot remember any other ad that ran during the SB, to be honest. I remember it causing some controversy, but I forgot what it was. May have to re-watch it now.
Don't want to turn this political but as I recall people from both major parties had complaints about the ad for some reason. Also shortly after the ad aired it was revealed that Bruce had DUI and reckless driving charges pending which triggered a whole other group. Those charges were dropped after he took a plea deal to consuming alcohol in a restricted area (apparently he was riding his motorcycle in a park when he stopped to take a pic with some fans then did a shot with them).
Sponsored