Sponsored

Who else besides me got eTorque and didn't know what they bought?

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
How does the regenerative braking system work on the eTorque system? How much additional hardward is required on the calipers? I've never looked at a wheel with generative brakes to know how they are setup.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
How does the regenerative braking system work on the eTorque system? How much additional hardward is required on the calipers? I've never looked at a wheel with generative brakes to know how they are setup.
I don't have etorque but how I understand it, it regens by using the generator to apply load onto the engine and sucking energy out of the drivetrain. Nothing in the calipers, although the ABS system is probably programmed differently to accommodate for a reduced braking load?

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
I don't have etorque but how I understand it, it regens by using the generator to apply load onto the engine and sucking energy out of the drivetrain. Nothing in the calipers, although the ABS system is probably programmed differently to accommodate for a reduced braking load?
Yeah, I guess that makes sense that you could just use the drivetrain to turn the generator. For some reason I had it in my head that you would need a generator connected to each wheel. Your right though that you would likely need some type of system of communication connected into the braking system to allow for more regenerative force when braking hard. Until the point the brakes themselves are required to sufficiently reduce speed.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Another time is during upshift. The RPM difference would normally be controlled by the transmission or sent to the driveline, but with eTroque it apparently charges the battery a little bit.

Reactions: eck

Sponsored

702Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner
So you'd prefer the component that has actually failed you, as opposed to the one that might?
I've owned 13 vehicles in my life, and driven more. They all had alternators, and other than the Jeep I've never experienced a failure. I'd never heard of this failure mode (seized alternator) before it happened to me. 🤷‍♂️ But my JK seemed to be good at presenting novel problems.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Another time is during upshift. The RPM difference would normally be controlled by the transmission or sent to the driveline, but with eTroque it apparently charges the battery a little bit.
Yes. Rather than rely on the transmissions clutch packs to pull rpms for an upshift, the generator is used to drag down the crank speed. This makes for quicker shift events, while also slowing clutch wear and oil contamination. And yes, this resistance is converted to regenerative charging.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
has anyone read a single negative topic about the 48v eTorque?
I should have mentioned that there are no issues to date, and there are no known issues in general.
Jeep seems to be faring better than Ram. The 5.7L eTorque system has had stalling issues, requiring the generator to be replaced.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who else besides me got eTorque and didn't know what they bought? CC93FCCD-B4AF-4AB6-B9FF-69A6ADD44C0B

Jeep Wrangler JL Who else besides me got eTorque and didn't know what they bought? CB6AC3C9-7EBF-4A64-8C22-970669FF64A4

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel FarOut
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
Automatic Stop Start (ASS) is the fuel economy focused feature of not excessively idling at temporary stops during a drive. This is accomplished by 1 of 2 different systems. ESS (Electric Stop Start) and BSG (Belt Start Generator).

ESS equipped vehicles have a 12v main battery and a smaller series 12v auxiliary battery located above and behind the front passenger fender liner. A standard starter motor is used for both cold starts and stop/start events. A standard alternator is used for charging.

BSG equipped vehicles have a 12v main battery and a 48v rechargeable liquid cooled lithium ion battery pack located on the driver side frame rail opposite of the fuel tank. Cold starts are made with a standard starter motor and stop/start events are accomplished by a belt-driven generator that spins the crank via a capacitive dump of electrical energy from the 48v battery pack. This feature helps with prolonging the lifespan of the standard starter motor.

These "mild hybrid" systems have other features. Recharging the 48v battery isn't solely up to the generator, as it also takes advantage of regenerative braking when the brakes are applied. Accelerating anything from a dead stop requires the most energy. To take some of this initial load off of the motor, the generator applies an additional 70lb/ft of torque towards breaking from that dead stop and it stops once the motor spins past 1800 rpm (iirc). Lastly, the generator isn't just capable of speeding up the crank, but it can also serve as an engine brake. This allows for faster and more efficient upshifts and downshifts. The zf 8-speed is an awesome transmission, but it still waits for specific motor rpm ranges before shifting and also uses its own clutch packs to match rpms. The generator helps to take some of this load off, by speeding up or slowing down the motor rpms on demand, which results in quicker shifts and lessened wear of the clutch packs over time.

BSG (etorque) is not at all as "complicated" as many seem to think or occasionally seem to hope. A typical air conditioning system is far more complicated, especially when available with secondary rear ac. I'm also HVAC-R certified, which is why I bring up ac, but never made it into the field before landing my current position.

Cheers all, and happy Father's day to all the dads here!
Thank you for being the one person to finally explain this.

Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I had a ram etorque pretty cool system. I am not sure about the jeep but the ram also has different motor mounts, frame mounts, and maybe other items can't remember everything that make the hole start process a lot smoother.

It's really smooth. You barley feel the 5.7 fire up. And they also gave the etorque and all associated parts a 8 year or 80K warranty.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
In the Jeep there is very little difference. A cooled 48v battery across from the gas tank. A generator instead of an Alternator. Other then that it’s exactly the same gas engine 2.0L or 3.6L. They both use the same non eTorque starters for initial start up.
Sponsored