mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
Greetings all,

I was going to put this in the winch forum but this is really about finding technical help. I want to remove this hook from the Smittybilt Gen 2 X20 winch:

upload_2019-5-17_12-37-43.png

I would like to get this hook removed before I install the winch while I have the rope unattached. I have no way to do this myself. I live in an apartment and have no garage, so it's not like I can just go to Home Depot and buy a table, vise, saw, etc and take care of this in my living room.

Who can I go to for help with this? Would any shop take care of this for me and charge a reasonable fee?? Could I trust them to cut the hook off without damaging the synthetic rope with sparks or heat?

Thoughts?? Suggestions??
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

any 4 wheel shop should be able to grind that off within a min. might get you for 10 bucks.. its not a big deal at all.

OP
OP
mrhumble1

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
any 4 wheel shop should be able to grind that off within a min. might get you for 10 bucks.. its not a big deal at all.
Excellent!! I'll start calling around and see who I can find to help me out.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
That looks familiar. Smittybilt X2O rope hook. If you're good with it, you can actually un-splice the rope, or cut and splice it back together. I had to do mine this week because of a rash on my rope. I actually used the Factor55 Fast Fid to splice my rope, so that made it easier.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have the same winch and have a safety thimble that I haven’t gotten around to putting on yet. My plan, as mentioned in the post above, is not to cut the hook at all but to unsplice the rope leaving it intact for any possible use later on. Then attach the safety thimble using a fid. There’s several YouTube videos that will show you how to do this.

If you’re bent on cutting it off, you can DIY using a grinder or a cutoff wheel on a Dremel if you have one. Or a hot knife to cut the rope and leave the hook intact.

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Dremmel or cutting wheel? DIY! FTW

OP
OP
mrhumble1

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info everyone!!

Fortunately, there's a TJ shop just a few minutes from here and it took them maybe 4 minutes to cut the hook off:

upload_2019-5-17_14-46-0.png

The best thing about finding them is that they were very friendly so we chatted about other installs I am thinking of getting done. It's nice to know there's a shop nearby that can take care of what I need and I won't have to try to hassle with the dealership.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer