First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
These are set by the "Tire Police". They also monitor in real time all GVWR on all rigs with campers (especially the pesky Arctic Fox), and they enforce beadlock DOT compliance. Apparently they live primarily on Facebook and are all named (or nicknamed) "Karen".

So in summary, there is nothing, be safe.
This is far from the truth; if you actually did tow on a regular basis you would know that getting spot checked is not uncommon. Just 2 weeks ago they were spot checking everyone going into a local state park to make sure:

1) Propane tanks not time-expired
2) Vehicle tow rating and trailer weight
3) Trailer brakes working properly
4) All safety chains, emergency brake pull, etc properly hooked up and in good condition
5) Tire condition on trailers and RV's
6) Tags, insurance, registration, and license as required
7) If solar panels that they were physically fastened and not just "double sided taped" on. (I actually was shocked the inspector got up on our roof to check this!)

There were several setups that did not pass and that led to fines. I saw two fifth wheels and a long travel trailer that were all over the tow weight for the tow vehicles that had to be unhitched and the owners arrange a proper tow vehicle to get them back home.

So yea, it's real, and not just a Facebook Karen issue.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So, it's not a camper . . . but I tow this almost every weekend. Well, technically not THIS one - it's new. But, before this, I towed a 1997 Wellcraft Excel 23 WA.

Weight on this boat is right at 5000lbs, with 50 gal fuel, 15 gal freshwater, 2 dozen drinks and 20lb of ice. Also has 5 batteries and a trolling motor. Weighed it on a CAT scale last week.

The tow rating for the JLU is 3500# in the US, due to the aforementioned SAE J2807 rating, which includes crazy things like up a 4% incline for 11.4 miles in 100+*F heat, 5 start/stops on a 12% grade in 5 minutes, etc.

However, the tow rating for the exact same Jeep, in Australia and Europe, is 5500lbs with a braked trailer.

I can confirm that the Jeep does just fine on level roads, in 100+*F heat, at interstate speeds, for hours on end.

Delivery.jpg
This your prior Jeep?

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/buzzards-bay-boat-ramp-jeep-sinks/

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I don't believe in telling anyone what they can and can't do. Inform them and let them make their own decisions. Jeeps come with ClassII receivers. They are not designed for a WDH. Towing is a complicated fusion between wheelbase, horse power, braking, wind, drag and lots of others stuff. Boats tow much easier due to their long hitch to axles length compared to RV trailers. RV salesmen are like Jeep salesmen, they never owned one but they know everything about them. Manufactures weight stickers lie, Cat scales don't. The only way to know what you are towing is to load up ready to travel and weigh it. Fuel people and all. Last item on my random rant: Stopping is a bitch. Try to drive so you don't need to brake.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I know y’all bastards are out there! Don’t be scared LOL
You asked the WRONG question...

Try this: Hey guys I am looking at a 5th wheel for my JL Sport and wonder if I can tow and anyhow any of you guys towing heavy. I am also thinking of going to 37s or 40s to get better mpg.

Post: I-Be-Jeep: I am running 37s and getting 23.1 mpg and when I tow its not much about 12k lbs (but that is rolling) which reducedes the weight. Hurt my mpg I am down to 19.7, so going to 40's soon.

Sponsored

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
This was probably about 3800 fully loaded and we towed it about 5500 miles last summer.

495F5EE7-B179-4ED4-8CF7-4584B236F2E1.jpeg
I am looking at almost the same setup. Do you have trailer brakes? Anything else in the setup please? THank you

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
We bought a boat last week and I had to tow it from the dealer to the Marina (about 15 miles). The weight of the boat is 3,100 and although under the limit, it was a little close for my comfort. I installed the tow package on my Jeep myself (including the electronics) I was just thrilled everything worked!

I took it nice and slow. Still watched my average mpg go from 18.5 to 17.1!

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Anyone can with their 2024 JL! Now with the free float axle (whatever that even means, I don't have a clue) they allow 5,000lbs towing! I didn't realize the towing limits were set by the axle. I thought the Jeep JL was just too light weight so it would get tossed around by something heavier and the back end was too heavy and didn't have the correct springs to hold the tongue weight of something heavier.

Basically, don't read any of my post because I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Sponsored

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't towed it yet, but I've got a boat and trailer that the manufacturer says is 3500 pounds - which means it's probably closer to 4000 loaded with fuel and gear. So I guess I'll find out later this summer how it does...

Rubicon 4xe with Metalcloak GC supension, stock 4.10 gearing, 37's.

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
I'm about to pick up a new (to me) 2021 E-Pro 19FD which is supposed to have a 3200# UVW, which means it'll probably be about 4000# when loaded. I have the 3.0 diesel so power definitely shouldn't be an issue. Of course it has electric brakes, so hopefully braking won't be an issue. I'll just have to see how the suspension and relatively short wheelbase will handle it.
On a side note, I'm installing the Mopar brake control, I do have the tow package. Does anyone know if the vehicle will need to be flashed? I just noticed that my Tazer JL mini mentions that one of the settings is "“TrlrBrk” configure vehicle for MOPAR trailer brake controller."

Rob

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
This is far from the truth; if you actually did tow on a regular basis you would know that getting spot checked is not uncommon. Just 2 weeks ago they were spot checking everyone going into a local state park to make sure:

1) Propane tanks not time-expired
2) Vehicle tow rating and trailer weight
3) Trailer brakes working properly
4) All safety chains, emergency brake pull, etc properly hooked up and in good condition
5) Tire condition on trailers and RV's
6) Tags, insurance, registration, and license as required
7) If solar panels that they were physically fastened and not just "double sided taped" on. (I actually was shocked the inspector got up on our roof to check this!)

There were several setups that did not pass and that led to fines. I saw two fifth wheels and a long travel trailer that were all over the tow weight for the tow vehicles that had to be unhitched and the owners arrange a proper tow vehicle to get them back home.

So yea, it's real, and not just a Facebook Karen issue.
The majority of those items are along a "is it safe", not "is it legal". For instance, there is no law against having expired propane tanks, old tires, or solar panels affixed with tape. However, when you enter a state park (or any other private or controlled-access property), you have to follow whatever rules they put in place.

If they said, "Today is chicken day, and only people dressed as chickens may enter", then you'd better be looking like Foghorn Leghorn to get in!

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I haven't towed it yet, but I've got a boat and trailer that the manufacturer says is 3500 pounds - which means it's probably closer to 4000 loaded with fuel and gear. So I guess I'll find out later this summer how it does...

Rubicon 4xe with Metalcloak GC supension, stock 4.10 gearing, 37's.
You'll be golden. Is this your first time towing a trailer with surge brakes? If so, you're going to feel a "thump" every time you accelerate from a stop. That's normal. It's the trailer braking mechanism. Scared the crap outta me the first time I took the boat home though. Thought something was falling off the Jeep.

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You'll be golden. Is this your first time towing a trailer with surge brakes? If so, you're going to feel a "thump" every time you accelerate from a stop. That's normal. It's the trailer braking mechanism. Scared the crap outta me the first time I took the boat home though. Thought something was falling off the Jeep.
Haha, ya that's true, it takes some getting used to! I've actually had this boat/trailer for a couple years already, it's just the Wrangler that's new so I haven't towed with it yet. The GC I had before this towed it okay, and it was also rated for only 3500 pounds.
Sponsored