Who blatantly tows a camper OVER 3500#?

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Just be honest lol. I’m curious. Who tows over the limit, and by how much? I know you’re not supposed to, don’t need to lecture. I’m simply curious as to who all does it, in their experiences towing have been.
Sponsored

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
I have towed an aluminum 16’ johnboat about 300 miles. It is not over the limit. I didn’t feel my v6 did a great job on Kentucky hills. I would not want to think about over the 3500lb recommendation. I have the Manual transmission.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I towed a 5800 lb Airstream about 60 miles due to a family member passing and it needing to get relocated and nobody having a real truck to deal with it.

I planned on renting a truck but live in snowflake land where towing with a rental is not allowed - and trailer wiring is removed to prevent it. I realized this without a lot of time left so just decided to give it a shot.

I did it at 5am on a Monday morning. I do have the tow package, and a upgraded tow hitch setup with the LOD rear bumper. 2.0L JLUR.

I used a wireless Tekonsha EBC to handle brakes (this is a cool unit!)

Would I tow this load on a regular basis -- NO. But it was zero issues. JL accelerated, braked, and handled this without issues.

Edit: This was dry weight as just relocating it so no need to have water tank full, etc, etc. All tanks drained and not much cargo except the trailer-related things like outdoor chairs, folding table, water hookup line, power hookup, etc, etc. Probably 200lb to 300lb worth of "stuff" to get us to 6000 or 6100lbs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
I towed a 5800 lb Airstream about 60 miles due to a family member passing and it needing to get relocated and nobody having a real truck to deal with it.

I planned on renting a truck but live in snowflake land where towing with a rental is not allowed - and trailer wiring is removed to prevent it. I realized this without a lot of time left so just decided to give it a shot.

I did it at 5am on a Monday morning. I do have the tow package, and a upgraded tow hitch setup with the LOD rear bumper. 2.0L JLUR.

I used a wireless Tekonsha EBC to handle brakes (this is a cool unit!)

Would I tow this load on a regular basis -- NO. But it was zero issues. JL accelerated, braked, and handled this without issues.
So let’s say, what about. 3800# camper? With brake control, WDH and anti sway?

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
No, because if shit goes badly you are directly liable for illegally towing over the weight rating.
What he said. Because you “can” doesn’t mean you “should”. I heard a salesman many years ago telling a couple “any 3/4 ton pickup” would tow the 21,500 lb 5th wheel he was selling, when my NEW F350 du ally at the time was only rated for 14.500! Would a 3/4 ton have moved it? Sure. Would it have handled it in an emergency stop or the mountains? Don’t think so...YMMV

Sponsored

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
Totally agree about not towing above rated capacity. Lots of reasons...you could hurt someone, you could hurt yourself, you could hurt your family. You could damage your jeep and other peoples property. If you have never felt the feeling of loss of control pulling a trailer... be glad, and don’t put yourself in a place to experience it.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
OK, I'll fess up. I can't tow that much, but my Jeep does a pretty good job pushing 16,000# down the road. Does downshift at the steeper hills though and it requires someone in the truck to steer.