Who blatantly tows a camper OVER 3500#?

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Haha, ya that's true, it takes some getting used to! I've actually had this boat/trailer for a couple years already, it's just the Wrangler that's new so I haven't towed with it yet. The GC I had before this towed it okay, and it was also rated for only 3500 pounds.
I've put these in some other posts, but I'll put them here too. One of the major concerns that most people seem to have is overheating (the other being rear suspension design). I won't say that a Wrangler won't ever overheat while towing a heavy load. At higher altitudes, during hot months, towing uphill - sure, maybe.

But, I've monitored oil, coolant, and trans temps pretty religiously for the past year-and-a-half while towing (I take off the speedo and put those temps on the display the whole time). The ONLY time I've ever seen anything interesting (not alarming, just interesting) was while going over a bridge over the Mississippi River. It's a 4% grade (I think) and about 1 mile long going up. My trans temps raised like 3-5*, but then immediately came back down when going down the other side.

FYI - the portrait pics are "not towing", landscape is "towing". Same day (August 2021), same conditions (~90*F, 70% humidity), same road (US 90 between New Orleans and Biloxi), 1 hour difference.

Coolant temp - normal.jpg

Coolant Temp - towing.jpg

Oil Temp - normal.jpg

Oil Temp - towing.jpg

Trans Temp - normal.jpg

Trans Temp - towing.jpg
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Can someone point me to some Tow mirrors for a Jeep JL? I looked on Amazon and not sure what would work well with my JL.
By way of example, here are a couple of options saved in my eBay Watch List.
One
Two

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Can someone point me to some Tow mirrors for a Jeep JL? I looked on Amazon and not sure what would work well with my JL.
Man, I've looked far and wide. Cannot find anything that's not a "strap-on" mirror.

Why are Wrangler mirrors TALLER than they are wide?!! Who needs to see more vertically? So stupid. This is literally the first vehicle I've driven since my 1966 Mustang that has a blind spot. And, that's not really fair to the Mustang, because it didn't even HAVE a passenger side mirror!

Sponsored

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Man, I've looked far and wide. Cannot find anything that's not a "strap-on" mirror.

Why are Wrangler mirrors TALLER than they are wide?!! Who needs to see more vertically? So stupid. This is literally the first vehicle I've driven since my 1966 Mustang that has a blind spot. And, that's not really fair to the Mustang, because it didn't even HAVE a passenger side mirror!
Have you tried the strap on mirrors that you can recommend? It looks like that is what I will have to go with. Then the next issue is there are a bunch of different ones to choose from and who knows what one works best and is of good quality.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Have you tried the strap on mirrors that you can recommend? It looks like that is what I will have to go with. Then the next issue is there are a bunch of different ones to choose from and who knows what one works best and is of good quality.
Not a clue. Haven't tried any of them. Sorry.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Why are Wrangler mirrors TALLER than they are wide?!! Who needs to see more vertically?
The Wrangler's mission brief is such that the vehicle is much more likely to be lifted than used as a tow vehicle. Thus the profile of the OEM mirrors being designed with the intent of accommodating the former.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
The Wrangler's mission brief is such that the vehicle is much more likely to be lifted than used as a tow vehicle. Thus the profile of the OEM mirrors being designed with the intent of accommodating the former.
Dammit. Stop making sense and being logical!

(Never thought of that.)

Sponsored

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
By way of example, here are a couple of options saved in my eBay Watch List.
One
Two
Here is the driver side mirror https://www.ebay.com/itm/324360741799
Passenger mirror https://www.ebay.com/itm/224214840633

I wonder how well these work??

These get some nice comments but the Ebay link no longer works. I believe that link is for some brackets?

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
Here is the driver side mirror https://www.ebay.com/itm/324360741799
Passenger mirror https://www.ebay.com/itm/224214840633

I wonder how well these work??

These get some nice comments but the Ebay link no longer works. I believe that link is for some brackets?
Message the thread starter, I bought from him and he sells the adapters to use with the rampage mirrors. They work fantastic

Here is the link to his updated design: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3347171522...624&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Message the thread starter, I bought from him and he sells the adapters to use with the rampage mirrors. They work fantastic

Here is the link to his updated design: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3347171522...624&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Ok, thanks. I'll need to figure out exactly what I need to buy to get the set working. I remember back in the olden days, my dads trailer mirrors stuck way out to get a view at the side of the trailer. Amazing that these can do the same thing yet they do not stick way out... Seems people love them.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My bud has towed his Cat Skid Steer with tracks on a big steel trailer with his JLUR.

Think like this.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who blatantly tows a camper OVER 3500#? 1682507534137

Plus a trailer like this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Who blatantly tows a camper OVER 3500#? 1682507632060

I figured he was towing about 13,000 to 14,000 pounds. The funny thing is he owns four diesel trucks and two bigger trucks. Like on Dumbstruck chassis.
Sponsored