Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yes, many many years ago when I was a wee lad... on a family camping trip to Arches NP. :LOL:

The next time I go will be the first time in a Jeep.
What an awesome camping trip that must have been. I say budget time to go back to Arches. That place is breath taking, I still swing by most trips, it's amazing how the desert changes depending on lighting, weather, etc. It's never the same.

Your first experience Jeeping Moab is special though. Slickrock seems to allow physics breaking angles, and it takes a bit to recalibrate your expectations of what is possible. Always a good time (until it isn't)

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I'll join in - so I had a '07 JKU, one of the early ones (bought it in November 2006). I primarily got it because I had always wanted one, I had a XJ for awhile, and the JKU seemed like a nice mix of both. The second, more important reason is that I'm constantly at the beach (250+ days a year) with gear (kiteboarding, surfing, foiling, etc.) and a vehicle that I can easily wash out, store gear in and out, etc. was important. I probably went 4-wheeling 10 times in 15 years. It did, however, get utilized for what it was semi-built for, sand, salt, dirt, you name it, it took it for 15 years and was a great vehicle. The abuse showed towards the end.

Fast forward to now, I just bought a JLUR, and I've already taken it out 3 times in 3 weeks. It's been in sand, with wetsuits, gear, etc. So....the plan is a nice mix of both with this one. I'm going to try and protect this one a bit better than my last one (Armorlite, Bartact Seat Covers, etc>) but I plan on pushing it just as hard/harder than my JK, both off road and carrying gear.

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2019 4 door Rubicon that I got last year for the family to enjoy on the weekends. We gone to a few state parks but mainly rider around town. I have a 2 door 13 Rubicon on 37" that is setup as a pretty legit rock crawler. I've met a group of guys that go to a Jeep "badge trail" once a month or so and actually ride. We've scuffed up some paint, hardtops, bent a driveshaft or 2 and for sure scraped up some wheels. I've noticed their 4 doors go up steep, wet rocky inclines better than my short bus and that's got me looking for a 4 door to wheel. My question is, how do yall feel about actually off-roading your 1 year old 50K JL?

I know I can take the top off, get some skids and go to town, but I know I will eventually back up into a tree. Slide off a wet rock and scratch up/ dent some stuff. Just curious how many actually do this or am I nuts?
I believe of the 2,000 miles on her now, about 800 have been off road:)

20211121_131207.jpg

20210618_135611.jpg

20211121_145415.jpg

4XE.jpg

20211127_075154.jpg

Sponsored

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I haven't been to Moab in my JL yet (JK a few times) due to border closers, but there's stuff up here.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? 20201206_151138
Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? 20201228_130413
Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? 20210701_141557

DV LAWYER

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Yep, I took my <500 mile JLUR to Moab, on paper plates, and enjoyed the trails. I didn’t spend over $60k to just drive it on the pavement, I could have bought ANYTHING else for that. A year later, I’ve done over 10 BOH trails and dozens of other trails. And I live in Texas so it takes me 20+ hours to get to decent trails. #noexcuses #adventurelife

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Mine had 400 miles when I hit the trail. An LSD Sport Manual. I bought it 400 miles from home. So, I drove it from SoCal straight to trails. lol. Im lucky, Im surrounded by trails and live 5 minutes from Pismo Beach, CA.

I didn't do the same with the Gladiator. It doesn't feel the same. My JLU just feel way more nimble on trails. I don't even offroad the Gladiator. I will eventually, but they will be light trails. The breakover angle just doesn't cut it.

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase