First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
This is my 2018 with about 11k miles on it.... If i wanted something for asphalt I literally would have bought any other vehicle... :)
Jp1.PNG

Wax
That is a good example of a place I would never take my brand new Jeep. I'd be too scared of tipping into that rock and wrecking a vehicle I have to spend most of my 50s paying off.

Then again, I'm just cutting my teeth out there too. I've never had an off-roader this capable, and I don't really know what the hell it can pull off, so I'm sneaking up on it. I've made it everywhere I tried to go so far, but I wouldn't have tried the trail above.

That's kind of my whole approach to life, and it has worked out so far. I've gone through a certain set of curves at 60 mph in an 18-wheeler, and I can do it, but I don't want to find out what it takes to roll an 18-wheeler over, and I usually shoot those curves at 45-50 mph now.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Only was able to off-road once in my JLUR but it was a blast! Here’s the details:

I was on my way to Starbucks for an online order pickup at the drive thru. Went to pull into the parking lot and they were re-paving the entry way. Didn’t even have to use 4WD. These Jeep’s are beasts! And the flex, since they shaved off a couple inches of the blacktop. Handled it like a champ. Then off to Nordstrom’s after that for some shoe shopping and picked up a Patigonia goose down jacket soon after. Then to the dry cleaner and back home.

Much better than my CRV I had.
Dude, I know the struggle. That was basically me the other day.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Dude, I know the struggle. That was basically me the other day.
This reminds me of the time I had to deliver to a stupidly tight alley in York, PA in an 18-wheeler. When I went to pull out of there and continue down the alley to get back to the main road, I found a paving crew had come by both in front of and behind me, and milled the road down to dirt. They put cones up. I think the last of those cones finally fell off somewhere near Lebanon.

omg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That is a good example of a place I would never take my brand new Jeep. I'd be too scared of tipping into that rock and wrecking a vehicle I have to spend most of my 50s paying off.

Then again, I'm just cutting my teeth out there too. I've never had an off-roader this capable, and I don't really know what the hell it can pull off, so I'm sneaking up on it. I've made it everywhere I tried to go so far, but I wouldn't have tried the trail above.

That's kind of my whole approach to life, and it has worked out so far. I've gone through a certain set of curves at 60 mph in an 18-wheeler, and I can do it, but I don't want to find out what it takes to roll an 18-wheeler over, and I usually shoot those curves at 45-50 mph now.
I am always amazed at those 18 wheelers maneuvering around the town in NYC, and no spotters either LOL. Gotta be panic inducing with all those restless drivers around (one of the most aggressive drivers in the country).

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I bought this to USE! I went in with the attitude the warranty will probably be voided and it will probably get scratched or even worse. In 12 years if off-roading I have never had so much fun!

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? 504472B5-F35B-489C-812B-EA2A19F336A1

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? 6AB75C98-E8C3-4055-907A-4AAB1F01CF35

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I bought this to USE! I went in with the attitude the warranty will probably be voided and it will probably get scratched or even worse. In 12 years if off-roading I have never had so much fun!

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? 6AB75C98-E8C3-4055-907A-4AAB1F01CF35

I know where the bottom pic is taken. That is kind of sketch isn't it.

Looks like they stacked more rocks to make it easier to get over that lip at the bottom from when I was there.

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
Had ours just over a month when this picture was taken of our first off road adventure. I didn't flinch at the sounds as we passed over the rocks but my wife did. I just said "that's the skid plates doing their job". Suffered a little rash on the wheels and picked up some OPI Black nail polish to cover that up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? received_340927287347693

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link

Looks like they stacked more rocks to make it easier to get over that lip at the bottom from when I was there.
Sketch.

Wow, without rocks I can't see getting down without drama. Looks like tippy is an understatement. Good spotter or forget about it.

21Rubi

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 3.6 Auto, 315's, 2.5 MC Lift
Occupation
Retired
Picked mine up from the dealer on Tuesday, had it in the dirt on Saturday!

I bought it to use it.
I hear ya, picked mind up on Thursday and Saturday went on a trail ride....
Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? 1212201204_HDR~2

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
I am always amazed at those 18 wheelers maneuvering around the town in NYC, and no spotters either LOL. Gotta be panic inducing with all those restless drivers around (one of the most aggressive drivers in the country).
I could tell you NYC trucking stories for hours, but they are all second-hand accounts. I have never actually been there. It's bad enough in Jersey or Philly. Hell, the worst place I used to have to back was in Charlottesville, VA. Had to back into an alley from a very busy street with no spotters, and people didn't have a clue, and would just get in the way. Sitting there with a four-wheeler blocking my progress, and a bunch of fire trucks come blaring down the road. Crap!

When stuff like that happens in NYC, the cops just tell you to back over the car. I know a lot of guys who have totally demolished cars up there, and the cop wrote the car owners a ticket. Tough town!

Reactions: omg

Sponsored

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport

As you know the pics never do it justice. This is the sketchiest obstacle I have ever ran and quite frankly scared the hell out of me. It took me about 20 minutes to build up the courage to even drive down it . I was teetering back-and-forth as I came down and a couple of people jumped on my bumper to keep me from tipping. When I run it again I’m going down one of the ledges off to the side which I guess is considered a bypass but still very difficult.

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Technology & part-time Google mechanic
Clubs

At first it doesn't feel right but then you realize it's a nice luxury. Unless you're mudding, offroading a new vehicle isn't much to worry about. Not many trails that are that difficult tbh

I'd rather take a new vehicle fresh off the lot offroading vs 5 years in when I consider it slaughtered. Who knows what's gonna break at that point naturally

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? 2021-05-12 19.39.22
Nice stretch!