Who actually takes their JL offroad?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Then there was this one in.... South Dakota... I decided to do a Jamboree event, I thought how easy can it be? LoL , wow was I wrong..... the Orange JL in front of me was Dennis from @TeraFlex what a great guy to talk to and changed my opinion about Teraflex and well the Black Trails in the Black Hills at Jeep JAmboree.... and those aren't the Jamboree trail guides .... those are all of us paying members of the jamboree.... the guides were fixing jeeps elsewhere.... Talk about rocks... and more rocks.... and big rocks and biggerrocks..... @Drytellsr we need to go here LoL, maybe. So yes I do go off road... maybe too much...

Where in SD....we have family elsewhere in SD. That’s pretty tough rock crawling...but incredible scenery.
Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
It was outside of Deadwood.... a lot of trails and a lot of fun only 8 people out of the 100 that showed up went out on the Black trails

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Went to Rausch Creek this weekend to knock out all three Badge of Honor trails. Crawl Daddy is not for the faint of heart!!! Trail #14/Rock Creek was crazy as well. Rocks of all varying sizes as far as the eye can see.

EEEFDFAF-8B64-48F5-8E2D-D1A58D8E876F.jpeg
86FA3997-D143-48C9-A3A8-917294014FEF.jpeg
4951F208-E14D-4DF2-988A-101351BE326E.jpeg
8E999846-8399-4BA4-A183-BC38D7849545.jpeg
B27A7FA4-5723-47E9-8722-2C4A1B085DAE.jpeg
55D11A99-12C5-407E-BB47-D42C239EBBE1.jpeg
What fenders and lights do you have?

PALIDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 Chevy Corvette
No intention of getting my new JLUS out in the sticks. I don’t even go to the mall since COVID-19 came along. This is my main transportation and at 73 years old it will probably be my last car.

Sponsored

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
Yep. This is beginner stuff though. Rausch Creek, PA. Some of it was pretty hairy from a beginner point of view. Went over some pretty big rocks. This was my second guided ride. Next I am doing a lesson.
21B85AED-99D2-4E82-9AD1-5D48D2664DFC.jpeg
7287C4EE-FD7A-4004-915B-63849B4FA582.jpeg

Ok....Flag on the play.....

off road consultants, 101 class?

Saturday the 3rd???

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Ok....Flag on the play.....

off road consultants, 101 class?

Saturday the 3rd???
Yes and no. ORC yes but it was green guided ride. I’m gonna sign up for the 101 next. I have done two guided so far. Last one was at Anthrocite. This one at Rausch was more challenging for sure. I asked him , before we started, if he was doing #11 and he said sure if you want. Were you there Saturday?

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
What fenders and lights do you have?
Do you have skids on yours? Even after my green run there, I am thinking of adding at least front differential skid and rear shock skids. one guy bent his side step up on the green trail. Mine are frame mounted, so at least that’s done. I want to try blues but daily drive and have to drive home 3 hours after.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes and no. ORC yes but it was green guided ride. I’m gonna sign up for the 101 next. I have done two guided so far. Last one was at Anthrocite. This one at Rausch was more challenging for sure. I asked him , before we started, if he was doing #11 and he said sure if you want. Were you there Saturday?
Yes. That's why I found it so ironic that someone from this forum was there. We took the 101 class, which was almost a waste of time for us, after the last ringing out that it got it anthracite. However, credit where it is due. My wife did actually learn from her instructor. Her instructor is Penny. She's nice, she's knowledgeable, however, she tends to drive a little on the slower side. While you were learning, that is not a bad thing.

Sponsored

Wrangler JL 360

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
First night wheeling experience last night at rainbow falls OHV in Colorado Springs. Little Moab section was not fun to do in dark for first time but met some cool people and was great experience.

92018754-2E8F-4B59-AB97-9B2AA7CFAD5E.jpeg

74F5B4B0-B91D-4616-A801-29B06E7F6EB3.jpeg

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. That's why I found it so ironic that someone from this forum was there. We took the 101 class, which was almost a waste of time for us, after the last ringing out that it got it anthracite. However, credit where it is due. My wife did actually learn from her instructor. Her instructor is Penny. She's nice, she's knowledgeable, however, she tends to drive a little on the slower side. While you were learning, that is not a bad thing.
We have done a green giuded at AOAA and Rausch and wondering if a 101 will be similar( which was a fun day especially at Rausch) or if I will be bored going over basic functions. I hate to waste time only because its a three hour drive and an overnight for us. I am thinking of combining a 101 and 201 on a Sat and Sunday in November.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have done a green giuded at AOAA and Rausch and wondering if a 101 will be similar( which was a fun day especially at Rausch) or if I will be bored going over basic functions. I hate to waste time only because its a three hour drive and an overnight for us. I am thinking of combining a 101 and 201 on a Sat and Sunday in November.
If you have already done a green guided at Rausch, I have to assume that the 101 course would be very similar. The 201 maybe a little more intense, but I would assume the 101 and the guy that are similar. Did they explain many things to you prior to your departure? Understand, there was Zero classroom time it was all in the field. However, the instructor did explain a lot over the radio. Again, she was cautious, but I don't think any of them want to have a wreck under their watch. I can't say I blame them.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
If you have already done a green guided at Rausch, I have to assume that the 101 course would be very similar. The 201 maybe a little more intense, but I would assume the 101 and the guy that are similar. Did they explain many things to you prior to your departure? Understand, there was Zero classroom time it was all in the field. However, the instructor did explain a lot over the radio. Again, she was cautious, but I don't think any of them want to have a wreck under their watch. I can't say I blame them.
Our guide at Rausch did not explain much or give any tips. The guide at Aoaa was much more involved. I get that the instructions say no teaching. Like he never told us there were often two paths to take up the same path, an easy way and a more difficult way. After lunch he did describe things more.

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
I have a 2019 4 door Rubicon that I got last year for the family to enjoy on the weekends. We gone to a few state parks but mainly rider around town. I have a 2 door 13 Rubicon on 37" that is setup as a pretty legit rock crawler. I've met a group of guys that go to a Jeep "badge trail" once a month or so and actually ride. We've scuffed up some paint, hardtops, bent a driveshaft or 2 and for sure scraped up some wheels. I've noticed their 4 doors go up steep, wet rocky inclines better than my short bus and that's got me looking for a 4 door to wheel. My question is, how do yall feel about actually off-roading your 1 year old 50K JL?

I know I can take the top off, get some skids and go to town, but I know I will eventually back up into a tree. Slide off a wet rock and scratch up/ dent some stuff. Just curious how many actually do this or am I nuts?
As you can see from the 32 pages of replies - HELL YHEA! WE"RE GONNA BEAT THE S OUT OF IT!!!! Pinstriping and rusty scratches on the undercarriage are a badge of honor. Just GET OUT ON THE TRAIL ... your stock machine is already WAY capable. Start off on the park road, then go for a 2 -- just try it. Don't forget to have a full tank of gas, lots of water, a buddy and sunscreen. Your build list/order will be driven by your time on the trail. Get involved in a local club so you can learn by doing ... One thing I can say - prioritize the rock rails and underarmor before all that interior cosmetic stuff, lights, etc. I now have growing pile of OEM and cosmetic parts that I've taken off. I just want bigger tires, tougher axles and more time on the trails to improve my driving ability and learn how to fix broken stuff (hopefully on other people's Jeeps). So, yhea, stop thining about it and just go do it!
Sponsored