Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
How do you like that bumper?
I love it. I’m not a fan of the stubby bumpers. Went on real easy even with the included winch plate. I’ve had to winch a few people out and not once have I seen the plate even move 1/4 inch. Bonus is the plate is rated for 12k lbs. Stock fog lights go right in with the included brackets. Honestly I had it installed myself in about an hour and a half. It was harder getting the stock bumper off and the wiring harness out of it.

3Pedalsand4Wheeldrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door 6sp
Vehicle Showcase
I love it. I’m not a fan of the stubby bumpers. Went on real easy even with the included winch plate. I’ve had to winch a few people out and not once have I seen the plate even move 1/4 inch. Bonus is the plate is rated for 12k lbs. Stock fog lights go right in with the included brackets. Honestly I had it installed myself in about an hour and a half. It was harder getting the stock bumper off and the wiring harness out of it.
Awesome, sound like a good one. It’s my top contender at the moment.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Don't be so smug... Top of Cinnamon '74

My'69offroadRide.jpg
Way cool, but in all honesty how many mustangs have gone were you've taken it? Some probably but not very many.

I'll admit, there are some in the parking lot of the Alpine Center on Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park on any given day than there are on any other mountain pass over the entire year. I wonder how many of them are looking through the mounted binoculars westward toward to the Never Summer Range waving to Jeepers on the Silver Creek trail?

My point is not that some ordinary car drivers may venture out on some dirt road occasionally. How many truly venture off-road at all?

The joy with my JL is finding the appropriate National Forest Service Ranger District MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Map) and going somewhere that only Colorado OHV (Off-Highway Vehicles) are legally and technically permitted to travel. These are indeed trails and not roads. Many can not even be attempted without having at least a high clearance 4wd vehicle.

Care to guess how many Mustangs have an OHV permit on their bumper?

While taking your car somewhere high in Colorado is possible, I'm pretty certain it was still on some seasonally-open public county road.

This thread is about taking your JL 'off-road', not whether some pavement pounding rear-wheel drive land rocket or front-wheel drive battery driven greeny go-cart wanders up to some snow drift somewhere.

If you have a JL take advantage of it. Go places, do things and gain experiences, which you'll likely never be able to achieve without it.

Please however if you do take your vehicle off-road be safe and responsible. Going anywhere in the wilderness holds some amount of risk. From weather to navigation to equipment. Be prepared, do your homework and of course only drive to the level of difficulty of that you're comfortable driving. There are a large number of easy off-road trails in every state, especially Colorado. Start there. You won't regret it.

Jay

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
After putting nearly 300K miles on a very good 'practical' Dodge Grand Caravan for almost 15 years, it was time for a change. We live in Colorado and have taken that mini van just about everywhere in this state that has a road.

But there is so much more to see than what everyone else can, driving down I70 or the two lane roads from town to town. Sure, the views, scenes, sights and high altitude air is great from anywhere here within CO.

But, the only real good way to enjoy the Rockies is up close and personal. You can't see most mountain passes by car. You can't explore a plethora of old mining sites by adventure bus. Getting close to tree line and just losing your thoughts in the almost over-powering scent of forest pine. The soft soothing sounds of the wind wafting around through canyon walls. The shadows of the clouds painting never ceasing landscapes across the wilderness vistas. Looking down from (or up) at particular majestic mountains with skyscapes that few have ever had a chance to truly breath in.

Our JL (the wife has named him Snoopy) is now able to sniff around this state wherever we care to let him wander. We point, he goes. Nothing is now out of reach. Of course we had to build him up just a little. He's been lifted and has a set of 35" paws, but even with his open diffs, there's not many places we dare not explore.

Our Colorado backyard is now so much more accessible. Snoopy sees just as much trails as city roads and certainly not enough. He gets to get as dusty, muddy, wet, snowy or anything we care to let him be.

Life is now so much more better. What's the point in living somewhere so spectacular if you don't experience and enjoy what it's offering. I truly feel bad for those that choose to ignore it.

Hell yes! Get off-road. That's exactly what a JL was designed and intended to go do; get off the beaten path. If you're not doing it with yours, you are being, and missing, what all Prius, Corolla, Mustangs, Camaros, most pick-ups and all mini-vans will never be able to ever contemplate. Go somewhere on this planet that they physically can't. Go experience something that not many others can. You bought your magic JL carpet. Go places that only it will go. Live, enjoy, smile.

Jeep on...
Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? My'69offroadRide

That right there is what it is all about! Great pics! Great looking Jeep!

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s awesome!

And going from a 15-crew Dodge Grand Caravan to a 2-person Wrangler is kind of cute.
One of the advantages of becoming empty nesters. Once the kidlets fly away, the mini bus is no longer needed. We have even removed the rear seat altogether. Couldn't be any better for a daily driver.

I thought I would but don't miss the Grand Caravan at all. It was a great vehicle for what it was needed for. The only maintenance needed over that entire 15 year span was the EGR valve and the radiator were replaced and it went through about a hundred sets of brake pads. Everything else remained totally stock. It certainly treated our family very well.

However our JL is now much more 'fun'. I absolutely loved all the time raising the kids and going and doing things with them in the Griswald Family Mobile, but this new unbridled freedom of this JL is breathtaking. Worth every ounce of getting older and being able to use and enjoy it.

Jay

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
A couple more of Jeepoch's off-road offenders atop Alpine loop enjoying their rigs. Note, one is a two door and the other a 4 door :LOL: The occupants of these lesser $'d rides are also enjoying what may erroneously be perceived as exclusive scenic territory to new JL owners. As you become jaded in your off road experience, try Carnage Canyon, Chinaman's Gulch, Blanca Peak, where these rift rafts surely will not be found. Post photos. I am happy you are finally out of the Grand Caravan where many kids have been conceived....challenging in a two door Jeep. Wheel on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually takes their JL offroad? NotWavin'

Last edited:

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple more of Jeepoch's off-road offenders atop Alpine loop enjoying their rigs. Note, one is a two door and the other a 4 door :LOL: The occupants of these lesser $'d rides are also enjoying what may erroneously be perceived as exclusive scenic territory to new JL owners. As you become jaded in your off road experience, try Carnage Canyon, Chinaman's Gulch, Blanca Peak, where these rift rafts surely will not be found. Post photos. I am happy you are finally out of the Grand Caravan where many kids have been conceived....challenging in a two door Jeep. Wheel on.

NotWavin'.jpg
@HardSell,

Your forum name is indeed appropriate. I give up that you missed the whole point of the thread, "Who takes their JL's Off-Road".

Not, bugs, Mustangs, Subarus or any other type of pavement pounders. Let me spell it out clearly:

If you don't take your JL off-road, you could certainly be driving something like that VW bug above. Why bother with a Jeep at all?

Your shiny new Jeep will take you to the EXACT same places that bug, mustang, subaru, bmw could go.

People can take their jalopies anywhere they damn well want. Even someplace they'll need to get pulled out of. That's their business. Whether or not the scenery was amazing at the time.

My point is to take your JL where these other cars can not. Jeeps are designed for the adventurist. It's up to you in where and how to accomplish that. Even Carnage Canyon, Chinaman's Gulch, Blanca Peak or anywhere else. You don't have to be the king rock climber, or the Moab bad-ass. Just go where you find some happy place. Or have fun finding it.

Even though you (@HardSell) are somehow trying to make a point that Mustangs and Bugs can go to the top of some public road turnoff and you can somehow call that 'off' roading is pretty remarkable.

I'm saying take your JL into the forest, up to some mountain pass, many miles from the nearest public road. Some place where you can't see, hear, or smell the VW's exhaust. Somewhere with no cell coverage to prevent debating some meaningless twist to what the OP intended. This theme just wanted to know WHY they should off-road their spanking brand new JEEP.

My point is that you bought a Jeep. If you don't take it anywhere other than the grocery store, why did you?

Yes any fribben car can drive to some high public ROAD somewhere. Please don't restrict your JL to that same boring traffic. Go find somewhere that only a few humans ever travel.

Trying to contribute with examples, sound reasoning, good intentions and experience always seem to find someone to irk. I have absolutely no offense to anyone driving whatever it is they want. Be plain. Be boring. I did for a very long time.

I purchased a JL for a reason; to get the hell off the road whenever it is I want. To go breath the clean high altitude air. To escape the rat race where someone always likes to complain about anything and everything.

You do to yours (or your Prius) whatever it is that makes you happy. Keep it clean and parked in your driveway all day.

Or go find pics of some non-Jeeps up on some high country road somewhere and twist my point 27 different ways to Sunday. No good deed ever goes unpunished.

For the OP (@Semaj), I'm really enjoying that I can take my JL 'anywhere' I care to point it. You can too. If that doesn't help, I don't know what else will. I think I've given you some positive feedback, at least I hope I have, independent of any trolling.

And @HardSell if you were just trying to press my buttons, thanks for the good natured ribbing. I know damn well you have the same outlook or you wouldn't have cited those off-road locations yourself. Thanks.

Wheel on...

Jay

Last edited:

Sponsored

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR, 2001 Wrangler TJ Sport
I take mine out on the trail about 5-10 time a year. I don't do anything crazy, after all, I have to drive it to work.

... but I highly recommend having some fun in your Jeep. The scenery can be wonderful

If you are worried about scratches, in the 19 years I had my previous Jeep, I think I only had 1 scratch that wouldn't buff out. Online has a lot of sites that can help you find trails to the level you want to try from a Forest Service road to trails that will cause true carnage (I WAAAY avoid those)

2020_07jul06_017_Jeep_onArgintinePass_MtMcCelellan_GeorgetownCO.jpg

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
First time wheeling my JLUR it had a touch over 1000 miles on the ODO. Sitting at 1500 miles now with a wheeling trip planned for next weekend.

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
Whats the point of owning a Jeep if you don't take it offroad?

tl;dr Yes
We bought ours because Jeeps are one of the few vehicles these days that can be flat-towed behind our motorhome. That, and a few of the rocky"roads" we have been on where the ground clearance on our Fiat 500L Trekking just didn't cut it! Cheers!!

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
And @HardSell if you were just trying to press my buttons, thanks for the good natured ribbing.
You got it...:clap:have fun! Do Moab. Might want to stick an Aussie locker in rear diff rather than bother with a Rubicon. I really enjoyed wheeling my Son's Sport TJ years ago. Fins 'n Things and Top of the World are good starters for your rig as it is. You'll need to locker up for everything else or get/build one of these. I think it's more about the fun rather than the rig.
Sponsored

Last edited: